By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

The AFU once used a Patriot system from Germany for strikes "at its own discretion"

Reaction: angry calls from Berlin and Washington and threats to stop supplying anti-aircraft missiles if such an incident happens again.

Ukraine is also not allowed to use Western air defense against attacks by Russian planes. It has to wait until the bombers have fired their cruise missiles and they are already flying over Ukrainian territory to try to shoot them down.

Moreover, Russian forces are shelling Kharkiv Oblast also from Russian territory, and Ukraine has been forbidden to use Western weapons for retaliatory strikes on Russian territory.

📰 Bild

Around the Network

Ryuu96 said:

The AFU once used a Patriot system from Germany for strikes "at its own discretion"

Reaction: angry calls from Berlin and Washington and threats to stop supplying anti-aircraft missiles if such an incident happens again.

Ukraine is also not allowed to use Western air defense against attacks by Russian planes. It has to wait until the bombers have fired their cruise missiles and they are already flying over Ukrainian territory to try to shoot them down.

Moreover, Russian forces are shelling Kharkiv Oblast also from Russian territory, and Ukraine has been forbidden to use Western weapons for retaliatory strikes on Russian territory.

📰 Bild

It's rediculous but things may change if Russia wins more territory.  France is already publicly stationing troops for training in Ukraine, which is starting to sound like things are getting a bit more desperate.  I hope that things will be straightened out eventually. 

Agreement on Security Cooperation between Ukraine and Portugal — Official website of the President of Ukraine

Agreement on Security Cooperation and Long-Term Support between the Kingdom of Belgium and Ukraine — Official website of the President of Ukraine

Western Companies U-Turn on Russia Exit Plans – FT - The Moscow Times

Around the Network

it's two of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_340_AEW%26C

Imagine how many more Russian jets would have been destroyed if America didn't throw a fit at Ukraine using Patriots to destroy the Russian jets across the border. Patriot, an air defence weapon, wasn't allowed to destroy Russian jets lobbing missiles at Ukraine until they cross the border. It also makes you wonder about F16s, if Ukraine used Patriots that way then Russia can use their own AD that way too, that means F16s will have to stay quite some distance away from the Russian border because they won't be able to shoot down AD targeting the F16s.

It's a sick irony that Ukraine pleaded with us to create a sky-shield over Ukraine to protect them from Russian missiles only for America to create a sky-shield over Russia instead.

Q. High Representative, you said that some countries dropped their vetoes in terms of the use of equipment they shipped to Ukraine. I am not going to ask you which countries, you will not respond to me on that. Can you at least say the number? How many? Just to give us a sense of where we are going. Secondly, pretty harsh words today from the Kremlin. Putin said that Stoltenberg – he remembered when Stoltenberg was not deranged. He implied that his remarks in these days were crazy. You said similar things, so be aware. What I am going to ask to you is: do you think that this is hitting the spot? Is Russia afraid that these weapons could be used against their military positions, and is this a real threat for them? Do you think that this is the reason why they are getting worried?  

How many countries [have] already agreed [that] the arms they provide to Ukraine could [to] be used targeting objectives in Russian territories?  

One and a half? Two? To tell the truth, I could not say that. I could not say the number. Some explicitly said: “I am going to lift this limitation.” Others have said that but not in such a clear way. Others said, “well, yes but let me think about it.” So, I cannot say; “this is the number that agree or not.” In any case, the number will change. Look, one week ago or one month ago, people did not want to call for the Association Council with Israel. Yesterday, they agreed. So, events change, and people change.  

Certainly, Russia considers that an important step. You can imagine they can attack Ukraine from [their] territory, considering that [there] could not be an attack to the installations and form the places from where they attack. Certainly, it is an advantage. It is a certain ‘sanctuarisation’. I am attacking you, but you cannot attack me. At least not to the places from [which] I am attacking you.

It is understandable the Ukrainians would like to be able to do that. It is quite logical. Then it comes all considerations about the escalation. All that you read every day in the newspapers – you read, and you write in the newspapers – I understand these concerns. But in life you have to choose. If you want to provide Ukraine with a stronger capacity, you have to provide them with the arms that could be used to protect themselves from the attacks they are suffering from. If you consider that the risk of escalation is greater than the advantages for the war, you will take another position.  

Member States have different approaches. I know some that are strongly opposed to it, and others who are definitely in favour. I cannot tell you [if it] is going to be the majority, but in any case it is not [for] the European Union. Nobody can prevent a Member State [of providing] arms to Ukraine and letting the Ukrainians use these arms to target military objectives inside the Russian territory. We cannot prevent them from doing [it]. The same way that we cannot oblige them to do it. No country has to be afraid that they will be obliged to do something that they do not want to do.  

Foreign Affairs Council (Defence): Press remarks by High Representative Josep Borrell after the meeting | EEAS