By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Transformers Rise of the Beasts is a New Trilogy, Transformers 8 & 9 Confirmed

TruckOSaurus said:
archbrix said:

It was the intro of the first movie that impressed me initially.  I really enjoyed the entire base attack at the beginning, up until that part ends and we get to the classroom scene when we realize that the script sucks.  But except for the stupid fart joke with the baby, that battle sequence made me feel like a kid again while watching.  The Scorponok fight is similar for me:  Great scene, marred by that stupid credit card joke part, which could've been funny... but wasn't.

My thoughts were:  Terrific battles and transformations... even the story itself wasn't bad (it's a sci-fi movie based on a kid's toy, what do ya expect).  They just need to ixnay the Jar-Jar Binx moments and fix the script for the next movie, but unfortunately, Transformers 2 embraced all of the bullshit and ended the chances for this series to be taken seriously as good entertainment.

Here's hoping that the new trilogy is better like Bumblebee was, but I have my doubts.

Personally, I had problems with the transformations. Apart from Optimus Prime, most robot forms don't look like the vehicle they transform into. Starscream had a yellow cockpit on his chest, wings in the back, red and blue on his chest and legs in the comics. In the movie, he's a grey hunk of metal that through the magic of CGI transforms into a jet.

Yeah, I get that.  Personally, I love the original designs of the 80's and the transformations in the cartoon looked more like the way the toys articulated.  The animated movie looked particularly good; I still love the scene where Unicron transforms to this day.

In a real world setting though, those boxy designs wouldn't translate well to a real-life setting, so they went for how alien robots might look, I guess.  I agree though that, except for a couple of them (Prime and Bumblebee), they looked kinda generic, and some just sucked, like Frenzy.  I do like the way the material they were made out of looked - not like metal exactly but some kind of "alien" looking alloy. 

However, I was thoroughly impressed by many of the transformations themselves - so many moving parts.  The first transformation of Prime on the street is great and the way he and Bonecrusher transform at high speed in that battle on the highway was amazing.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
TallSilhouette said:

I lost interest in Transformers after the first few films, but Bumblebee wasn't bad. The film universe could use something of a soft reboot - or even a hard one - if they're going to keep making more.

Bumblebee was fun, I enjoyed it, I absolutely hate that they're trying to connect it to the shitty Bayverse movies, they should have just made it its own universe.

I still haven't even watched TLK yet and don't know if I'll ever bring myself to, not even for curiosity's sake. And I occasionally find myself watching critically-panned movies just to see how bad they are, too, I did it with the new Black Christmas (online, no way was I paying to watch that garbage, lol).

And yes, I hate how they're trying to connect it to the Bayverse, but as long as we don't get (dis)graced with another Michael Bay movie or continuation, I can manage. I'd point out how ridiculous it is that they're trying to set them in the same universe when it was established in Bumblebee that the Autobots have never visited earth before contrary to what the 2007 movie might tell you (which, coincidentally, are the only 2 live-action Transformers movies I even remotely care for), but the Bayverse timeline is so full of plot holes/retcons already that it's like beating a dead horse.

The first movie was pretty good, the second one is annoying trash, the third one is ok, the other two are complete garbage. Haven't seen Bumblebee but it got way better reviews than the Michael Bay movies so if he's not directing any of the future Transformers movies they could turn out great.