By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Road to 160m+ for Nintendo Switch

As time passes, it's more evident that the 160m goal is the lowball for the Nintendo Switch. Selling 2 million units in this kind of quarter with barely any new releases in the 8th year of the console's life is quite favorable for Nintendo. Right now, it's just a matter of how long they want to support the console after the successor arrives, but I'm pretty sure it will surpass both the DS and PS2 because we still have some big titles announced for this and next year. And not to mention that we have yet to see a price cut on this console. 

Last edited by eleazar0425 - on 02 August 2024

Around the Network

I mean looking at the 40M Xbox Series thread makes me realize that if people can argue the Xbox Series will reach the 40M at the downward rate it is going, then the Switch should be more than good enough to range in the 155M+ without difficulty at the very least.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Comparing the sales of Nintendo by how much a region contributed I saw something unexpected.

FQ1.25: Japan (25.8%), Americas (44.8%), Europe (21.3%), Other (8.1%)
FQ1.24: Japan (20.0%), Americas (44.6%), Europe (22.9%), Other (12.5%)

That Japan was increasing it's share was obvious, but I did not expect America's to stay so flat and the biggest change in Japan's favor coming from OTHER instead of Europe. I expected Other to become more important later in the Switch' life, but it does not appear that way.

SourceFQ1.25 page 4: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2024/240802_2e.pdf
SourceFQ1.24 page 4: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2023/230803_2e.pdf

RolStoppable said:

2.1m for FQ1 which is a solid start for a year that I had expected to finish at 11m. Nintendo, however, aims for 13.5m which is only 2.2m less than the year before. Through the first quarter the deficit is 1.81m, so from here on out Switch has to be almost flat for the remainder of the year. Because last year had TotK, it was expected that the deficit would be big for this quarter, so nothing has really changed regarding what has been talked about during the past few months in this thread.

Totk if sales of the actual game is to be concerned sold most of it's units in the first 2 weeks so while that did boost sales it also was very specificly localized to the month it came out in, so the deficit should go down as the biggest sales juggernaut of 2023 already made it's impact.

Switch will sold 160 million no doubt abput it

Around the Network

To me the news that Foxconn is building up production capacity in Vietnam for the Switch of 4 million units annually seals the deal. Obviously we do not know what model Switch it will be. Perhaps only the Lite system, a budget revision, who knows? But it indicates that at least some of the Switch family of systems will be produced for quite a while. This sounds like the original Famicon scenario to me, where the Switch will get a lonnnnngggggg life.

Source: https://vir.com.vn/nintendo-switch-to-be-produced-by-foxconn-in-vietnam-113032.html

So I know it might sound outdated in the future depending, but if the system is about to close on the 160M range, will we make a thread for the 170M milestone 🤪 ?

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Tober said:

To me the news that Foxconn is building up production capacity in Vietnam for the Switch of 4 million units annually seals the deal. Obviously we do not know what model Switch it will be. Perhaps only the Lite system, a budget revision, who knows? But it indicates that at least some of the Switch family of systems will be produced for quite a while. This sounds like the original Famicon scenario to me, where the Switch will get a lonnnnngggggg life.

Source: https://vir.com.vn/nintendo-switch-to-be-produced-by-foxconn-in-vietnam-113032.html

Woah, trial production starts in Oct 2026, with the green light at 2027. That seems very much like a Famicom life cycle. 4M per year. How long do we think Foxconn’s deal with Nintendo will last? 5 years?

If so that’ll be 20M Switch units, bringing the total over 180M (given that it surpasses 160M before 2027 which is all but guaranteed).

Could it be that they are referring to the Successor? And are just calling it Switch because the Successor will be part of the Switch family? Like how GBC was with the GB?

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Sounds like the Japanese stock market may have just crashed. They’re reporting the biggest drop in nearly five decades. NSW may have a very rough remainder of the year…though surely it won’t hurt sales too significantly.

firebush03 said:

Sounds like the Japanese stock market may have just crashed. They’re reporting the biggest drop in nearly five decades. NSW may have a very rough remainder of the year…though surely it won’t hurt sales too significantly.

If the remainder of the year will be rough for the Switch how come the sales won't be hurt significantly? I hope the Switch manages to overcome that situation

Last edited by CourageTCD - on 05 August 2024