By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X Digital Edition?

Series X Digital Edition?

Yes 5 27.78%

Yes but not til later in the console’s life 6 33.33%

No 7 38.89%

Total:18

Before you say it, yes I know thats the idea of the Series S and while games will continue to work fine on there, the lack of good storage space and especially the fact that I have seen many games only seem to allow their 30fps modes on there makes it not rly too appealing for me.

I’d rly love to have a just digital Series X that could maybe go for $400 bcuz I would purely use one as a gamepass machine so I dont need a disc drive but Id like the extra power of the Series X. Ik with the chip shortage its probably not a good idea rn but down the line I think it would be a nice option to have. What do y’all think tho? 

Around the Network

It’s going to happen, only a matter of when and not if.

But right now there is 0 incentive to release a low cost SKU, even if the money is made up on the back end. Every series X made, sells.

I think about the time a slim refresh launches, there will be a digital only option, but not before then

It's inevitable that an Xbox Series with the specs of the X (or even a mid-gen refresh) will be all-digital or at least have the option.
I think Microsoft and Sony really, really wanted to ditch optical drives this generation. But they decided to make sure the consoles had optical drives at launch. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a PS5 Slim or Series X Slim ditch optical drives entirely. And I all but guarantee the PS6 and 5th Xbox will be all-digital.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I'm waiting for a Series X slim with disc drive that fits in my AV cabinet, so no. Discs for life!

If this was an option, it's the one I would have purchased!

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

If this was an option, it's the one I would have purchased!

Same here, 100% digital. I hope they will make it happen.