By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - How do you split a post quote?

Seriously, I see people do this from time to time, but I have no idea how! Not on this forum anyway. When I press the quote button, it just gives me that user's whole post in a giant quotation box. How do I split that giant quotation box up into individual sections so that it's clear exactly what section of the post I'm responding to at a given time? I see other people do that sometimes, so I know it's possible!

(I mean it's an unaesthetic nuisance to rely on workarounds like numbering different topics contained within a quote, for example.)

Around the Network
Jaicee said:

Seriously, I see people do this from time to time, but I have no idea how! Not on this forum anyway. When I press the quote button, it just gives me that user's whole post in a giant quotation box. 

Quote the post...

How do I split that giant quotation box up into individual sections so that it's clear exactly what section of the post I'm responding to at a given time? I see other people do that sometimes, so I know it's possible!

Copy and paste the whole quote box for each section you want to make

(I mean it's an unaesthetic nuisance to rely on workarounds like numbering different topics contained within a quote, for example.)

Then just delete the extraneous content from each box, so it only contains the part you want to respond to.

At least that's how I've done it. Dunno if there's like an actual feature.

Rich Text Reply -> Insert -> Table -> 1x1 -> copy and paste whatever you want into it. Quoting and multiquoting can save time, too.

JWeinCom said:

Quote the post...

Copy and paste the whole quote box for each section you want to make

So let me try this now.

JWeinCom said:

Then just delete the extraneous content from each box, so it only contains the part you want to respond to.

At least that's how I've done it. Dunno if there's like an actual feature.

Holy shit, it works! I'd just assumed you couldn't copy a whole quote box since the outsides never appear to be highlighted.

Thanx for the help!

Can't get rid of the little quote boxes that appear within a larger quotation box (can only shrink them), but...oh well.

mZuzek said:

I don't think you can get rid of the quote boxes on mobile.

For me when if I want to split a quote in two I'll just do multi-quote and then quote the same post. But if I want to split it in more parts, it's the copy-paste thing.

Is there any way on a home computer?

(I don't even have a mobile phone.)

Around the Network

mZuzek said:

It's not very intuitive, but it works when I select the text before the quote box and drag it all the way to the text below, then delete.

That didn't work for me, but good news: I found a way of making it work. I discovered it's possible to delete ALL the contents from a quote box and that doing so gets rid of all the sub-boxes within it, so...if I do that, then copy/paste the box itself, then finally copy/paste the exact text I want directly from the original post itself into the respective quote boxes I want the various bits and pieces in, it'll turn out the way I want it to look. It's a lot of copy/pasting, but at least it works!

If it doesn't work, well, there are other things you can do on a home computer, such as playing Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy.

They both sound like a drag to me.

(Kidding! I just speculated before that there were other games with better narratives 'cause, I dunno, it's just tough for me to imagine, based on the contents of the movies, something from the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise comparing narratively to something like Returnal or Chicory or even Psychonauts 2 or Solar Ash, for example (all of which I have played). But I freely admit I could be totally wrong about that!)

Last edited by Jaicee - on 26 December 2021