By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS2 shipments over 158.6m, breaking down missing fiscal data.

It´s because Sony is a bad loser and doesn´t give individual numbers. Lump together when things go bad or do not equal their predictions. 

Sony or Microsoft maybe was responsible for no numbers in NPD ( Wii/Ds era).

It´s strange assuming 160M and sony don´t make a PR statement, Sony is a bad winner either. Where does the PR valorize the 160M line? 

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
yo33331 said:

Just like Sony went out with exact PS3 numbers shipped in 2019, till march of 2017, that had to happen with the PS2 sales numbers as well, they could go out and announce official shipments numbers as of january of even march of 2013, is it so hard for them ? I bet the numbers would have been at least 160M.

I feel like 160m is a very specific milestone that would have warranted an announcement from Sony though.  Sony announced the PS2 crossed the 150m mark on January 31st, 2011.  That was the last time they announced a specific # of consoles shipped/sold for PS2 if I'm not mistaken.  I think that if PS2 had crossed the 160m mark, Sony would have definitely issued a press release, especially since they would be able to note that no other dedicated gaming device had ever crossed that mark.

the hubris for Sony is so big they revised the numbers of Ps2 after DS hit the 150+ mark.

Why can't some "official" from VGChartz reach out to Sony and ask for the final PS2 numbers? If Sony USA don't have them, it's no big deal for them to ask Sony Japan. I think, after so many years nobody at Sony will be butthurt. For them, it doesn't matter if the numbers are 156, 157, 158 or 162 mil. The PS2 is a MASSIVE success, so I don't see why they shouldn't reveal that number, if politely asked for.

Just my two cents on a trivial point brought up in this thread.

PS2 had over 1.5 billion pieces of software sold for it. PSX, Wii, and DS are the next three largest, all close together at about 920 to 980 million.
PS2 definitely didn't sell as a DVD player alone to the vast majority. That argument to me sounds a lot like "Wii only sold to grannies wanting Wii sports... let's just ignore the other ~850 games that sold on it" - At best, the DVD player added some value, but the vast majority bought it as a gaming console.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Just my two cents on a trivial point brought up in this thread.

PS2 had over 1.5 billion pieces of software sold for it. PSX, Wii, and DS are the next three largest, all close together at about 920 to 980 million.
PS2 definitely didn't sell as a DVD player alone to the vast majority. That argument to me sounds a lot like "Wii only sold to grannies wanting Wii sports... let's just ignore the other ~850 games that sold on it" - At best, the DVD player added some value, but the vast majority bought it as a gaming console.

It is well known fact that Sony's definition of software is ever changing an example being  the PS1 software total included music cd's the PS2 was changed to include movie DVD's and the PS3 included Blu-ray movies but forgot to keep DVD movies hence why it failed , the PS4 rebounded by reincluding DVD's along with Blu-rays and The PS5 is going to be a software selling giant by adding everything digitally available on apps like Netflix Spotify etc to that list.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

Agente42 liking my reply to Jumpin's post has me worried that four Emoticons weren't enough to show that I wasn't serious so I am sorry that I have failed everyone.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 13 December 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:

Agente42 liking my reply to Jumpin's post has me worried that four Emoticons weren't enough to show that I wasn't serious so I am sorry that I have failed everyone.

serious business only with real data.

sony doesn´t provide for us, nor Microsoft, so...

For comparison I would like to know how VGChartz ended with 157.68 mil. If the shipments were 155.01 mil. as of March 31, 2012 and the FY11 shipments were 4.1 mil. I guess VGChartz just thought there's a natural decline for FY12 and defined the decline as roughly 35%. Can someone please enlighten me?

Zippy6 said:
Mandalore76 said:

PlayStation2:             157.68m
PlayStation:               102.50m
PlayStation3:               87.41m
PlayStation4:               81.06m
PlayStationPortable:     81.09m
PlayStationVita:          16.03m

VGChartz totals:     = 525.77m

8/9/2018 Announcement:  525.3m

As you can see, the adjustments that were made to VGChartz' estimates for Sony's legacy hardware brings this site very closely back in line with what Sony themselves announced as total sales by the PlayStation family as of August 9, 2018.  So, if you are suggesting that PS2 may have sold 161m consoles, that's nearly 4 million more consoles that need to be subtracted from somewhere else in the PlayStation family that hasn't been adjusted already since Sony's 2018 announcement.  Which of Sony's consoles do you think are still listed as overtracked here?

The 525.3m figure is sell-through as of July 2nd 2018 at the same time they announced 81.2m sell-through for PS4. As PS1/PS3 are dead we can treat shipped as sell-through and just subtract there totals.

So subtract PS4 and we get 444.1m for PS1+PS2+PS3+PSP+Vita.

PS1 was 102.4m lifetime, subtract that: 341.7m for PS2+PS3+PSP+Vita

PS3 sold 87.4m lifetime (or very slightly over) subtract that: 254.3m for PS2+PSP+Vita

Now this is the 3 consoles we don't have close to lifetime figures left but subtract VGC figures for PSP/Vita for July 7th 2018 and...

254.3m minus 81.09m for PSP = 173.21m
173.21m minus 15.79m for Vita = 157.42m

157.42m for PS2 is too low. We know that PS2 numbers must have been over 158.51m from my calculations in the OP, the alternative method counting back from PS3 figures shown in this post: PS2 shipments over 158.6m, breaking down missing fiscal data. (vgchartz.com) prove the PS2 sales must be at a minimum over 158.29m and likely quite a bit higher unless PS3 went from 3.1m in FY14 to nothing in FY15.

So it's clear that the lifetime figures for PS2 on here are too low, and that the figures for PSP+Vita as of July 2nd 2018 are too high.

PSP at end of FY11 (March 31st 2012) = 76.4m
FY12 = 7m for PSP & Vita combined
FY13 = 4.1m for PSP & Vita Combined
FY14 =  3.3m for PSP & Vita Combined
FY15 = ??? for Vita (PSP discontinued)

if PSP sold 81.09m lifetime than Vita had shipped 9.71m by March 31st 2015, but VGC has Vita figures at 11.04m for March 28th 2015.

So I think the majority of PS2's missing sales are coming from the Vita being overtracked. VGC numbers for PSP/VITA are not in-line with Sony's portable shipment numbers.

So Vita and/or PSP are overtracked, PS2 is undertracked.

"254.3m minus 81.09m for PSP = 173.21m
173.21m minus 15.79m for Vita = 157.42m"

This needs updating, we have a 82.5 million figure for PSP. 254.3 minus 82.5 for PSP = 171.8

171.8 minus 15.79 for Vita = 156.01 for PS2

So now we are going to see people all of a sudden tear Vita down to make PS2 as high as possible.

If Vita sold the same as WiiU (13.5 million?) then that puts PS2 at 158.3 million. If PS2 reached 160 million, Vita sold less than 12 million.

Last edited by Phenomajp13 - on 19 December 2023

Zippy6 said:
RolStoppable said:

I finally found what was I looking for:
https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/data.html

More than 155.0m as of March 31, 2012.

So at this date the whole confusion between production numbers and sell-in is tangled apart by an official Sony figure.

Only the PS1 and PS3 have final hardware data disclosed as of now. PS2, PSP and PSV look like they will forever be undisclosed while PS4 will get finalized once it has actually stopped selling and the same can be assumed for the PS5. It's clear that the page is getting updated, because the latest PS4 and PS5 numbers are there.

Wow, I can't believe no one in all the threads etc I've been through linked that page, very useful. I guess I can try and pick apart the post 2013 fiscals to see if there's any data to prove how many of those 16.5m PS2+PS3 combined figures were PS3 to get to 87.4m as of March 31st 2017.

PSP Final numbers got revealed as well

https://www.gamesradar.com/9-years-later-former-playstation-boss-gives-the-psp-a-long-overdue-funeral/

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."