By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 64 records: Can you beat any of these?

tak13 said:

Some of the legitimate ones, yes!

They're all legit.

Just post your times if thine claims be true or else I say yer a...poser!

Around the Network
Jaicee said:
tak13 said:

Some of the legitimate ones, yes!

They're all legit.

Hahahahahahaha I know all along about the glitches, I have managed the frappe one ( and I think royal raceway, which is my favorite course, too)! I don't like that way, I prefer  a  real skills (the shade) face off :P. Of course it needs a lot of skill to manage some of the glitches ( I mention the royal raceway one, because I discovered it when I was playing a gran prix against my brother and he hit me in the right place and right time (aftewards I was cunnigly pursuing that, braking on purpose without an apparent reason e.t.c) .                                                                                       

I just saw the note, nice! I'll post mine someday, I hope my brother hasn't erased my time records (as he was used to be doing)... Mario Raceway is my obsession, I had nearly destroyed on of my controller's stick.

tak13 said:
Jaicee said:

They're all legit.

Hahahahahahaha I know all along about the glitches, I have managed the frappe one ( and I think royal raceway, which is my favorite course, too)! I don't like that way, I prefer  a  real skills (the shade) face off :P. Of course it needs a lot of skill to manage some of the glitches ( I mention the royal raceway one, because I discovered it when I was playing a gran prix against my brother and he hit me in the right place and right time (aftewards I was cunnigly pursuing that, braking on purpose without an apparent reason e.t.c) .                                                                                       

I just saw the note, nice! I'll post mine someday, I hope my brother hasn't erased my time records (as he was used to be doing)... Mario Raceway is my obsession, I had nearly destroyed on of my controller's stick.

Mario Raceway is fun! I was motivated to master that track by a Nintendo Power contest where you could win a gold N64 controller if your record time ranked in well enough. I never did master the big shortcut where you jump through the right-hand side of the wall to skip half the course, but I have been able to pull off the smaller one where you jump the left-hand sided of the wall to skip the hairpin turn on all three laps a number of times and that's helped my record, but my fastest time to this date remains more then 20 seconds behind the one set by the programmers and play testers ahead of the game's release according to my '97 player's guide. And people have since bested even that record. Jeez! Well it was reportedly the developers' favorite track and I think I get why. I like Koopa Troopa Beach, Wario Stadium, and D.K.'s Jungle Parkway best myself, I think. (Although I am concerned about that boat's passengers, seeing as they seem to be headed straight for the waterfall! ) Well and Toad's Turnpike in Mirror Mode with the oncoming traffic 'cause that just makes for crazy races, lol! Also really, really like the background songs in Toad's Turnpike and Rainbow Road in particular.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 12 November 2021

Jaicee said:
S.Peelman said:

Then you’ve gotten pretty good if you can do all those things consistently, because they’re not easy.

I also had (have, somewhere) the Nintendo Power Guide, so I tried most shortcuts back in the day. I would get most at some point one time, but never with any reliability. Note I was between 10 and 16 when I played it most.

The Wario Stadium one around the start/finish I got like once or twice in total, and never the return jump. I basically never got any of the ones that cut basically the entire course like the Frappe Snowland one. I did get the Rainbow Road jump fairly consistently, but that one’s one of the easier ones of the really big shortcuts I think (making it over there anyway, not necessarily the guardrail thing), and the DK Jungle Parkway occasionally. I also remember one on Royal Raceway at the big booster jump I think and skipping some walls in Bowser’s Castle if I’m right.

Wow! It's just the opposite way around for me: I still have tons of trouble with the ramp shortcut in Royal Raceway to this day. That's like the toughest one in the game that you can find in the guide to me! The fact that the ramp also boosts your speed throws off my angling. I find it much easier to make the first wall jump in Wario Stadium, for example, precisely because there aren't any factors like that involved. I can pull off at least that first wall jump in Wario Stadium like 4 out of every 5 times. Jumping through the wall on D.K.'s Jungle Parkway is actually pretty tough for me too, but I can pull that one off more often since I know basically where to jump and basically how; I just find it tough to actually execute at top speed (which I've discovered is, in fact, necessary) given the precise angling required. Still, 1 out of every 25 or 30 times I can pull it off on all three laps and that's all you need to set Time Trial records.

I will agree with you though that fundamentally making the long jump in Rainbow Road is actually among the easier big shortcuts in the game. Once you know the tile you need to jump from, it's a piece of cake. It just looks fancy...which makes it even more fun to do.

Oh, the Frappe Snowland trick is super easy actually! Just turn around from the starting line and drive onto the wooden bridge, then turn around again. From there, just hop directly from the bridge onto the right-hand snow bank and drive out on the snow until Lakitu picks you up, being sure to pass the starting line before he does (i.e. don't drive out at too far of an angle). From there, he puts you down back on the wooden bridge. Just repeat that last step two more times; back up and hop directly onto the snow bank and drive out past the starting line until Lakitu picks you up. Each subsequent time, you skip a lap. Then on the final lap, just drive through the starting line. In Time Trial mode, I recommend using your mushrooms after you land on the snow bank to speed up the drive into Lakitu's waiting fishing lure. Just make sure that you hop DIRECTLY from the bridge to the snow bank on the right each time because if your wheels touch the driveway in-between, the trick won't work. After a few tries, you'll likely have mastered it and be able to consistently finish the race in under 50 seconds, if not under 40, including in Grand Prix mode.

The only times I've managed to like skip whole parts of Bowser's Castle in Mario Kart 64 was when I got hit with a shell that knocked me clear to a different part of the course...which of course ain't possible in Time Trial mode and were freak accidents anyway. Maybe you discovered a glitch that I didn't!

Heh, well, "occasionally" means a lot less than once in 25-30 times for me, even for only one lap.

For Bowser's Castle I was thinking about how you could drive on top of the walls and skip all kinds of things near the end, but looking up a video of this, it looks a whole lot less spectacular than I remembered lol.

Jaicee said:
tak13 said:

Mario Raceway is fun! I was motivated to master that track by a Nintendo Power contest where you could win a gold N64 controller if your record time ranked in well enough. I never did master the big shortcut where you jump through the right-hand side of the wall to skip half the course, but I have been able to pull off the smaller one where you jump the left-hand sided of the wall to skip the hairpin turn on all three laps a number of times and that's helped my record, but my fastest time to this date remains more then 20 seconds behind the one set by the programmers and play testers ahead of the game's release according to my '97 player's guide. And people have since bested even that record. Jeez! Well it was reportedly the developers' favorite track and I think I get why. I like Koopa Troopa Beach, Wario Stadium, and D.K.'s Jungle Parkway best myself, I think. (Although I am concerned about that boat's passengers, seeing as they seem to be headed straight for the waterfall! ) Well and Toad's Turnpike in Mirror Mode with the oncoming traffic 'cause that just makes for crazy races, lol! Also really, really like the background songs in Toad's Turnpike and Rainbow Road in particular.

What did you make me to realize (about Jungle Parkway)! hahaha So, true! It's one of the courses that I'm too committed (i feel graphics moving extremely fast there), so no time for such conceptions.

Another one is Bansee broadwalk ( Am I mispelling it?). I'm sure that you imagine which part of it I have in my mind, especially when there is a banana minefield. Ah, Toads' turnpike, exactly! So amusing at Extra mode. Drifting is thrilling there, a slight sheer on your behalf or all of sudden by the traffic  and you @@@@@@...

I love warrior stadium too, firstly because of the wall jump near the start ( Ι rejoice because it's a  shortcut that I didn't have to take an example before trying it... ) Secondly, when I have lightning weapon  (something that pertains to Choco choco Mountain too in a less apparent way).  Edit: Not gonna correct it, I like it. 

Last edited by tak13 - on 12 November 2021

Around the Network

no but i would beat the people who use these shortcuts in splitscreen

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

S.Peelman said:

Heh, well, "occasionally" means a lot less than once in 25-30 times for me, even for only one lap.

For Bowser's Castle I was thinking about how you could drive on top of the walls and skip all kinds of things near the end, but looking up a video of this, it looks a whole lot less spectacular than I remembered lol.

Lol, I understand! The D.K. Jungle Parkway shortcut where you jump through the wall takes a LOT of practice and even though is more than a little difficult. I've memorized the spot -- the particular sun-soaked little space on the ground -- where you need to jump from over the years, as well as the angle that you have to jump from, and that's helped a lot, but it's still 50 times easier said than done, considering you have to be barreling toward the corner at full speed and a curvature! The window for proper execution is exceedingly small.

Ooooohhh yeah, I remember that Bowser's Castle shortcut! But I don't remember ever being able to do it in the original Mario Kart 64 version of the course. Were you playing the N64 version or like Mario Kart Wii's version like in the video?

Jaicee said:
S.Peelman said:

Lol, I understand! The D.K. Jungle Parkway shortcut where you jump through the wall takes a LOT of practice and even though is more than a little difficult. I've memorized the spot -- the particular sun-soaked little space on the ground -- where you need to jump from over the years, as well as the angle that you have to jump from, and that's helped a lot, but it's still 50 times easier said than done, considering you have to be barreling toward the corner at full speed and a curvature! The window for proper execution is exceedingly small.

Ooooohhh yeah, I remember that Bowser's Castle shortcut! But I don't remember ever being able to do it in the original Mario Kart 64 version of the course. Were you playing the N64 version or like Mario Kart Wii's version like in the video?

The N64 version, also played the Wii version of course but I didn’t dabble in time trail anymore at that point. I don’t remember whether or not I thought it was hard though. 

Jaicee said:
Imthelegend said:

Love the idea and will look at my records later but you lost me with your last line. Yoshi rules

Then why doesn't he say so?

(Also, thanks!)

Haha, this got a good chuckle out of me. I'm the best!

S.Peelman said:
Jaicee said:

The N64 version, also played the Wii version of course but I didn’t dabble in time trail anymore at that point. I don’t remember whether or not I thought it was hard though. 

Neat!! I don't think I've ever been able to do that before!

That said, here's the current world record time for Bowser's Castle that was set on Mario Kart 64 itself. It's 1 minute and 49 seconds, which is about 12 seconds faster than my personal best. This guy doesn't use any shortcuts besides mushroom boosting across the grass, which is an obvious one. That makes me wonder if hopping on the wall railing is a practical approach in this version of the course. It's definitely practical (and more feasible, needless to say) in the Mario Kart Will version of MK64's Bower's Castle, but maybe not as much in the original game.