By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Memories

Back when I was a kid, my mom rented me Metroid on NES. Back then, there was no internet, and I had no friends who owned the game. So literally, it was just me and the game. No instruction manual. No explanation. No idea of where to go or what to do. All of this made the intended (on Nintendo's part) impact of being stranded alone on Zebes that much more than profound. I had no skills. Everything was brand new. I was alone in this dangerous world with this foreboding score--and it freaked me out. Needless to say the game kicked my hindquarters and ate my lunch... but it's still something that I look back on fondly.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I hear the original's opening score, it still sounds ominous as hell.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
super_etecoon said:

Smash Bros was my first renewed hope that Nintendo hadn’t forgotten Samus. I still eagerly awaited a Metroid 64. In hindsight it might be best that we didn’t get one, but we’ll never know what that game could have looked like. 

Nintendo was afraid to make Metroid 64 because of the standards set by Super Metroid, and possibly not being able to meet that standard on a new system.

I definitely understand that fear. 

But I would also love to see a modern developer go back and utilizing the tech of the n64 (and its controller) create Metroid 64. We’re going to be entering a phase of Metroid soon where developers are going to be able to try riskier things as Dread has the 2D covered in spades and Metroid Prime 4 should take care of the 3D space. I’m not saying work shouldn’t already be beginning on a Super Metroid remake ala MercurySteam or a new mainline 2D outing, but this series has some breathing room for the first time in a very long time.