By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony acquires FireSprite Studios

Dulfite said:

I feel like Sony has been making these kinds of purchases (studios already working with them almost/entirely exclusively) as more of a prevention of Microsoft buying them up. It's a weird opposite: When Microsoft purchases a studio, it feels like it is expanding with additional exclusive content, whereas when Sony purchases a studio nothing really changes as these studios already were focused on making Sony exclusives. I'm not criticizing anything, just pointing out that Sony is more on the defense from my perspective. Why else would Sony buy up a studio that was already making exclusives for them if not to prevent someone from buying them up that would prevent their games from being on PlayStation? Microsoft is really the only major threat there. I doubt Sony would care if a third party company had bought out Insomniac, Firesprite, or any other studio they've obtained in recent years because then they could still arrange for those studios to make exclusive games for them. The only one that is threatening the status quo is Microsoft, so Sony seems to be on the defense by locking down these pseudo-independent studios and making them first party studios. Obviously my view is based on more of a general view of their purchases and not all-encompassing.

For context about this studio, here are games they made:

The Playroom2013PlayStation 4 with PlayStation Camera
Run Sackboy! Run!2014PlayStation Vita, Android, iOS
The Playroom VR2016PlayStation 4 with PlayStation VR
Air Force Special Ops: Nightfall2017PlayStation 4 with PlayStation VR
The Persistence VR2018PlayStation 4 with PlayStation VR
The Persistence2020PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Microsoft Windows

Game we know they are working on:

Theaters of War game mode for Star Citizen (a game that will no doubt release for the PS10, XboxOneTwoThree, and SViwtch.

I would agree if this wasn't the norm for Sony since the PS2 era.

Studio Liverpool (closed), Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games, Incognito (closed), Zipper Interactive (closed), Evolution (closed), BigBig Studios (closed), Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Housemarque.

All of these studios were primarily making games for PlayStation platforms before Sony acquired them. Nixxes Software seems to be the 1 exception to that trend, and no one expects them to make PlayStation games. Everyone is assuming they're actually acquired for Sony's PC ports.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
Dulfite said:

I feel like Sony has been making these kinds of purchases (studios already working with them almost/entirely exclusively) as more of a prevention of Microsoft buying them up. It's a weird opposite: When Microsoft purchases a studio, it feels like it is expanding with additional exclusive content, whereas when Sony purchases a studio nothing really changes as these studios already were focused on making Sony exclusives. I'm not criticizing anything, just pointing out that Sony is more on the defense from my perspective. Why else would Sony buy up a studio that was already making exclusives for them if not to prevent someone from buying them up that would prevent their games from being on PlayStation? Microsoft is really the only major threat there. I doubt Sony would care if a third party company had bought out Insomniac, Firesprite, or any other studio they've obtained in recent years because then they could still arrange for those studios to make exclusive games for them. The only one that is threatening the status quo is Microsoft, so Sony seems to be on the defense by locking down these pseudo-independent studios and making them first party studios. Obviously my view is based on more of a general view of their purchases and not all-encompassing.

For context about this studio, here are games they made:

The Playroom2013PlayStation 4 with PlayStation Camera
Run Sackboy! Run!2014PlayStation Vita, Android, iOS
The Playroom VR2016PlayStation 4 with PlayStation VR
Air Force Special Ops: Nightfall2017PlayStation 4 with PlayStation VR
The Persistence VR2018PlayStation 4 with PlayStation VR
The Persistence2020PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Microsoft Windows

Game we know they are working on:

Theaters of War game mode for Star Citizen (a game that will no doubt release for the PS10, XboxOneTwoThree, and SViwtch.

I would agree if this wasn't the norm for Sony since the PS2 era.

Studio Liverpool (closed), Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games, Incognito (closed), Zipper Interactive (closed), Evolution (closed), BigBig Studios (closed), Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Housemarque.

All of these studios were primarily making games for PlayStation platforms before Sony acquired them. Nixxes Software seems to be the 1 exception to that trend, and no one expects them to make PlayStation games. Everyone is assuming they're actually acquired for Sony's PC ports.

And even if Nixxes starts making games (like perhaps Bluepoint could as well), it isn`t like major IPs that were multi would become exclusives.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

twintail said:
PotentHerbs said:

Kadokawa is one of the few companies that would strengthen a multimedia conglomerate like Sony while also being "relatively" cheap. 

There are aspects which fit into Sony's profile. But a large portion of Kadokawa is completely unrelated to Sony's own businesses. The book market, for example, is probably the biggest profile for Kadokawa as an multimedia entity.

Does Sony have use/ interest in publishing kids books, educational materials, novels and magazines?

And if Sony are lucky that Kadokawa would just sell off their multimedia division, Sony would then has to make a purchase for a company that is involved in the following industries: school operation, travel, ICT consulting, to name but a few.

Kadokawa is a very diverse company. Perhaps more so than even Sony is. But I don't see Sony going to go through all that red tape just go get FromSoftware. Even the animation division is an unlikely motivator, since all the IP involved are tied directly to what Kadokawa publishes in light novel/ manga form first.

It isn`t impossible to buy the company and then diverstiture on the other business.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."