By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Future re-releases of Pokemon R/B/Y to be rated 18+ by PEGI for simulated gambling

shikamaru317 said:

I thought Nintendo had removed the slot machines from all Pokemon games in the west already? I know that it was inaccessible in Pokemon Platinum when I played it a few years ago, you could go into the Gambling Hall but couldn't actually play the slots yourself. Wouldn't Nintendo just disable the slot machine mechanic on any future gen 1 re-releases to avoid an 18+ rating?

They could do that, but they didn't when those games re-released on the 3DS eShop, which is why those games are currently rated PEGI 12 instead of PEGI 7 like all the other games.

Around the Network

I actually do kind of agree that games that feature gambling mechanics should be restricted... but not FAKE gambling mechanics. Restrict the mobile and EA games. What's next, restricting the game because of demonic imagery? Fucking squares.

Also, restricting nudity of adult characters is stupid and backwards, we're not in the puritanical 1640 and 50s anymore.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

I actually do kind of agree that games that feature gambling mechanics should be restricted... but not FAKE gambling mechanics. Restrict the mobile and EA games. What's next, restricting the game because of demonic imagery? Fucking squares.

Also, restricting nudity of adult characters is stupid and backwards, we're not in the puritanical 1640 and 50s anymore.

Like I said, they don't care about gambling, they only pretend that they do by restricting FAKE gambling while letting REAL gambling sit because, dollar signs.

Ka-pi96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I thought Nintendo had removed the slot machines from all Pokemon games in the west already? I know that it was inaccessible in Pokemon Platinum when I played it a few years ago, you could go into the Gambling Hall but couldn't actually play the slots yourself. Wouldn't Nintendo just disable the slot machine mechanic on any future gen 1 re-releases to avoid an 18+ rating?

I'm pretty sure the removal was in the initial version of Platinum though, same for HGSS. Work was already being done on those games so they made that change at the same time. Simply removing the feature probably isn't that easy, especially for the gen 1 games which seem to have some pretty dodgy coding already. Definitely easier to just making them playable on a new platform and releasing as is. Besides, just removing it would suck. I never really liked the gambling games anyway, but the rewards were pretty nice. Being able to get a Dratini fairly early in the game was awesome!

Would they, though? I get that the code might be outdated and it would be inconvenient for them to try to patch out the slot machine mini-game in future re-releases, but do they really want an adult-rated Pokemon game because of PEGI's draconian standards, albeit in one region?

Well to be fair to EA and company, their lootboxes shouldn't get them a PEGI 18/M rating.

It should get them an AO rating and subsequently a ban from console digital stores, as per standard policy.

Around the Network

Probably means DQXI will too. Such shameful games.

Delete post

Last edited by KManX89 - on 04 September 2021

Nuvendil said:

Well to be fair to EA and company, their lootboxes shouldn't get them a PEGI 18/M rating.

It should get them an AO rating and subsequently a ban from console digital stores, as per standard policy.

A PEGI 18 is the US/ESRB AO equivalent, though.

But who would’ve thought a Pokemon game would carry the same age rating as GTA, Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil because of a slot machine mini-game that doesn’t even use real money?

Uhh, yeah, I think fucking heads exploding, prostitute BJs/intercourse, faces eaten, limbs/bodies severed, etc. is a bit worse than playing slots with in-game currency only. Like I said, it’s an out for them to pretend that they care about gambling, which we all know they don’t.

UPDATE: apparently, the new PEGI rules on simulated gambling will only apply to new titles and/or remakes or expansions of older titles. Rereleases/remasters will still be subject to the old PEGI rules and be allowed to retain their same age rating they originally had.

Not sure if this really helps TBH. It's basically an admission that they done fucked it up, to quote Angry Joe and are just picking and choosing which games their new draconian rules apply to willy nilly in order to save face (oh wait, they kinda already do that with simulated gambling, but not loot box games AKA games with real gambling in 'em, what am I saying? ).

"These beloved kid's games (Pokemon, Mario, etc.) have a grandfather clause, but if you put that same content in a new game, it would get slapped with an 18+/Adult Only rating."

And not only that, but say they did classify loot boxes as gambling (which they won't because they're on EA, Acti, etc.'s dime, but for sake of argument), older FIFA, Madden, NBA 2K, etc. games would still be allowed to fly under their new (old?) radar and nickel and dime their base to no end with "surprise mechanics", which is just corporate speak for gambling.

Plus just imagine trying to justify a new Mario, Pokemon, etc. game having the same age rating as GTA, Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil all because they had the gall to throw in fake gambling like I said above. Same asinine scenario, it just won't apply retroactively to older games despite having the exact same content.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 05 September 2021