By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Gaming laptop vs Steam Deck?

Gaming laptop or Steam Deck

Laptop 7 70.00%

Steam Deck 3 30.00%

Total:10

I will retire my XPS 15 pretty soon, and luckily the company I am working with right now "Love" me and gave me a budget of around 2k for a new laptop.  I do love my XPS 15 and thinking getting another one (and pay difference).  I do use steam from time to time and thinking of just getting a gaming laptop (would be funny to see their faces when I attend the meetings with a shiny new gaming laptop paid by the company.)

But yeah.... Should I just buy a "professional" laptop and get a steam deck or get a decent gaming laptop? What would you do if you are in my position? Thank you so much in advance and bless your lungs :) 

Around the Network

Gaming laptop just because it's impossible to buy a Steam Deck now unless you don't bother to wait for like over 8 months

IcaroRibeiro said:

Gaming laptop just because it's impossible to buy a Steam Deck now unless you don't bother to wait for like over 8 months

I dont mind waiting to be honest if Steam Deck is really that good. So you would say Steam Deck if I dont mind the wait right?

I'd buy a gaming laptop as many gaming laptops these days can act as a professional laptop as well such as the Asus Zephyrus. Asus Zephyrus G15 has AMD 8 core CPU + 3060-3080 GPU with 8-10 hour battery life in normal day tasks but no webcam. Asus Zephyrus M16 has Intel 8 core CPU + 3060-3070 but has 7-8 or so hour battery life but also has a webcam. The RTX GPUs are lower powered ones on these thin and lights compared to the more thicker gaming laptops but still significantly more powerful than a Steam Deck.

There's others to choose from as well of course.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

I'd buy a gaming laptop as many gaming laptops these days can act as a professional laptop as well such as the Asus Zephyrus. Asus Zephyrus G15 has AMD 8 core CPU + 3060-3080 GPU with 8-10 hour battery life in normal day tasks but no webcam. Asus Zephyrus M16 has Intel 8 core CPU + 3060-3070 but has 7-8 or so hour battery life but also has a webcam. The RTX GPUs are lower powered ones on these thin and lights compared to the more thicker gaming laptops but still significantly more powerful than a Steam Deck.

Webcam is kind of a big deal from all the Covid-19 meetings... what do you think about that new Razr 14?

Around the Network
aikohualda said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Webcam is kind of a big deal from all the Covid-19 meetings... what do you think about that new Razr 14?

Razer products including their laptops have a reputation of being unreliable. While the 14 is impressive in it's achievement, I wouldn't buy it for work. I would recommend the Zephyrus G14 but Asus also skimped out of the webcam cause reasons...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

padib said:
aikohualda said:

I will retire my XPS 15 pretty soon, and luckily the company I am working with right now "Love" me and gave me a budget of around 2k for a new laptop.  I do love my XPS 15 and thinking getting another one (and pay difference).  I do use steam from time to time and thinking of just getting a gaming laptop (would be funny to see their faces when I attend the meetings with a shiny new gaming laptop paid by the company.)

But yeah.... Should I just buy a "professional" laptop and get a steam deck or get a decent gaming laptop? What would you do if you are in my position? Thank you so much in advance and bless your lungs :) 

Of course they love you ;)

By the way, if you're lugging it around to work go with a laptop, if you're lugging it around to play go with a Steamdeck imho.

As for your company, it might look more professional to go with a laptop but if they're cool they might think you're cool for getting something new! It also depends on if you use it for office meetings, then you should go with a laptop.

so professional laptop and buy the steam deck for my back pack?

ughhh why is thisss so hard :(

I do stay in hotels a lot lately.... I know steam deck is suppose to be for convenience but in my case a gaming laptop I can use for work seems to be the most convenient options

Captain_Yuri said:
aikohualda said:

Razer products including their laptops have a reputation of being unreliable. While the 14 is impressive in it's achievement, I wouldn't buy it for work. I would recommend the Zephyrus G14 but Asus also skimped out of the webcam cause reasons...

do they have 15"?

padib said:
aikohualda said:

so professional laptop and buy the steam deck for my back pack?

ughhh why is thisss so hard :(

I do stay in hotels a lot lately.... I know steam deck is suppose to be for convenience but in my case a gaming laptop I can use for work seems to be the most convenient options

Heh!

If you're working at home then you can dock the steamdeck for work but if you're working on the go best go with a laptop. If not sure about the future safest bet is the laptop 😉

Gaming laptop it is!  thank you so much... laptop recomendations is now open LOL

aikohualda said:
Captain_Yuri said:

do they have 15"?

If you are referring to Asus, they have a G15 but doesn't have a webcam. They also have an M16 which is effectively a 15 inch as it's almost the same size that does have a webcam.