Yes, I'm excited to get one. 20 34.48%

No, I don't think so. 22 37.93%

Maybe, I need to see how ... 16 27.59%

Total:58
Captain_Yuri said:

Mine has arrived!

-snip-

Lets see how it goes

Looks awesome! Please share experience when possible and share pics of the case.

Around the Network

Valve continuing to work wonders!

KLAMarine said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Mine has arrived!

-snip-

Lets see how it goes

Looks awesome! Please share experience when possible and share pics of the case.

Here's some pictures of the case. It's a very high quality case.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
KLAMarine said:

Here's some pictures of the case. It's a very high quality case.

I wonder why they didn't close up the indentation so that we could store SD cards in it without worrying that they fall out.

So here's my thoughts on the Steam Deck after a few days of using it. I did post my initial thoughts on it if you want to read the long version here:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9366656

But I didn't want to post it here until I used it some more to see if anything has changed but it's largely the same. So TLDR:

The Goods:
- It's very comfortable. Yes it's bigger and heavier than the switch but the ergonomics and distribution of the weight is really good.
- The speakers are insane. Better than a lot of laptop speakers that I have heard over the years.
- Suspend and Resume puts Windows to shame. Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves for not having this function. It makes me want to throw away my computer.
- Games loading from Microsd is very seamless.
- RTS and Unverified games can sometimes work extraordinarily well.
- When it all comes together, it can be an Euphoric experience.
- The battery holds up well if you tweak it right

The Bads:
- The fan is super loud because of how high pitched it is. If you are in a quiet room like in a workplace, it will be 100% distracting to others. The only good thing about it is that when you are in an empty area in Elden Ring and the fan ramps up, you know shit is about to go down. PS: The fan runs no matter what you are doing so even if you are doing something basic like watching youtube, you will hear it.
- Steam OS is janky AF
- And because Steam OS is janky AF, Windows issues mentioned in the Linus Tech Tips video makes the situation much worse.
- I tried PPSSPP with FFVII Crisis Core and oh boy, that audio crackling is not a fun experience.
- They need to revamp their verified games list because from my experience, verified games doesn't actually mean they will run well such as Sonic Generations in Seaside Hill. That shit drops to 15 fps.

Overall, I am not keeping it. It has quite a lot of reasons to like it... Hell even love it! But the main reason I bought this was because I wanted to take it to work. See I work in IT and currently, I bring my gaming laptop to my workplace and I play games on it during my downtime. My laptop is big, heavy and loud and the Steam Deck seemed like a great device to replace it. But the issue is the high pitched noise of the fan. It's loud enough to be distracting to others in a quiet place and because of that, it limits it's purpose in my use case. My laptop fans can get loud but they are loud in the white noise sort of a manor which is easy to tune out, the Steam Deck and it's variable high pitched fan on the other hand... Well based on my experiment at work, wasn't the case but it does depend on the environment.

Of course the other issue is software. I am sure a lot of it will be fixed given enough time but if there's one rule to follow in the PC space is to never buy something based on future promises so I have to judge it based on where we are at now. As great as Valve's optimization is with Elden Ring, you also have these other cases where Sonic Generations drops to 15 fps (and Horizon Zero Dawn issues based on LTT video) even though that's a verified title not to mention how terrible the desktop experience has been. If they are going to gimp Windows experience, they need to make sure their own experience is on par or better, not worse in so many areas. Like what is the purpose of having verified titles if they don't work properly or a desktop that doesn't have a proper functioning keyboard?

All in all though, I'll continue to keep my eye out because the potential of PC handhelds can truly bring a new era of PC gaming. Hopefully Valve learns from the issues of Steam Deck and fixes the loud fans and such when they release the Steam Deck 2. And by then, I'd imagine the software issues and such will also largely be fixed and the lingering questions of how new technologies like Direct Storage will perform will be answered. Till then though, I'll skip for now...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

What I like about the SteamOS on the Steam Deck:

• well integrated sleep mode
  • fast adjustment of brightness, "performance overlay level", fps limit, TDP limit and GPU clock via "..." button
  • fast access to the friends list via "..." button (when online)
  • fast access to notifications via "..." button (f.e. to view the last screenshots)
  • fast access to Home, Library, Store, Chat, Media, Downloads, Settings, Power via Steam button
  • shortcut list when Steam button is pressed for a longer time
  • quick screenshots via Steam button + R1
  • fast zoom in via Steam button + L1 (zoom range can be adjusted)
  • fast triggering of ESC, TAB or ENTER via Steam-Button + Digi-Cross
  • quick closing of a game (Steam-Button + B both pressed)
  • no nagging when there is no internet access anymore (the Windows version of Steam would have to be restarted in offline mode first; SteamOS searches a connection for a few seconds and starts the game offline if it doesn't find a connection
  • automatic synchronization of games played offline when you have online access again
  • while the DirectX install script is running at the first game start, the used controller template is displayed
  • extensive control adjustments, individually for each game (press Steam button shortly, then 2x with stick or digi-cross to the right)
  • sensible three-way division of control presets ("Recommended", "Templates", "Community Layouts")
  • when downloading a game the savegames are synchronized instantly, not only when starting a game (important if you downloaded games over night and leave your Wifi area in the morning, then want to play these games while offline)
  • most of the games I tried so far worked out of the box with no tinkering.... many of them not yet validated by Valve

What I dislike

• the fan runs even with a power consumption of less than 7 watts, even if no game is started! (only when the temperature falls below 5 watts / 40° C it sometimes pauses... but you have to turn down the brightness for that
  • no function keys (F1 - F12) on the on-screen keyboard
  • games moved in offline mode (between SSD + microSD) can only be started when online again, since it forces an update
  • the game state synchronization doesn't work every time
  • some games take over display settings which can't be displayed on the Steam Deck (with Monkey Island 1 + 2 S.E. I had to reduce the resolution to 1280x720 on the desktop PC so that the compatible settings were transfered to the Steam Deck)

I love holding the Steam Deck, my worries about it being too big or too heavy didn't come true.

I'll definitely keep it.

Last edited by Conina - on 17 March 2022

Captain_Yuri said:

So here's my thoughts on the Steam Deck after a few days of using it. I did post my initial thoughts on it if you want to read the long version here:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9366656

But I didn't want to post it here until I used it some more to see if anything has changed but it's largely the same. So TLDR:

The Goods:
- It's very comfortable. Yes it's bigger and heavier than the switch but the ergonomics and distribution of the weight is really good.
- The speakers are insane. Better than a lot of laptop speakers that I have heard over the years.
- Suspend and Resume puts Windows to shame. Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves for not having this function. It makes me want to throw away my computer.
- Games loading from Microsd is very seamless.
- RTS and Unverified games can sometimes work extraordinarily well.
- When it all comes together, it can be an Euphoric experience.
- The battery holds up well if you tweak it right

The Bads:
- The fan is super loud because of how high pitched it is. If you are in a quiet room like in a workplace, it will be 100% distracting to others. The only good thing about it is that when you are in an empty area in Elden Ring and the fan ramps up, you know shit is about to go down. PS: The fan runs no matter what you are doing so even if you are doing something basic like watching youtube, you will hear it.
- Steam OS is janky AF
- And because Steam OS is janky AF, Windows issues mentioned in the Linus Tech Tips video makes the situation much worse.
- I tried PPSSPP with FFVII Crisis Core and oh boy, that audio crackling is not a fun experience.
- They need to revamp their verified games list because from my experience, verified games doesn't actually mean they will run well such as Sonic Generations in Seaside Hill. That shit drops to 15 fps.

Overall, I am not keeping it. It has quite a lot of reasons to like it... Hell even love it! But the main reason I bought this was because I wanted to take it to work. See I work in IT and currently, I bring my gaming laptop to my workplace and I play games on it during my downtime. My laptop is big, heavy and loud and the Steam Deck seemed like a great device to replace it. But the issue is the high pitched noise of the fan. It's loud enough to be distracting to others in a quiet place and because of that, it limits it's purpose in my use case. My laptop fans can get loud but they are loud in the white noise sort of a manor which is easy to tune out, the Steam Deck and it's variable high pitched fan on the other hand... Well based on my experiment at work, wasn't the case but it does depend on the environment.

Of course the other issue is software. I am sure a lot of it will be fixed given enough time but if there's one rule to follow in the PC space is to never buy something based on future promises so I have to judge it based on where we are at now. As great as Valve's optimization is with Elden Ring, you also have these other cases where Sonic Generations drops to 15 fps (and Horizon Zero Dawn issues based on LTT video) even though that's a verified title not to mention how terrible the desktop experience has been. If they are going to gimp Windows experience, they need to make sure their own experience is on par or better, not worse in so many areas. Like what is the purpose of having verified titles if they don't work properly or a desktop that doesn't have a proper functioning keyboard?

All in all though, I'll continue to keep my eye out because the potential of PC handhelds can truly bring a new era of PC gaming. Hopefully Valve learns from the issues of Steam Deck and fixes the loud fans and such when they release the Steam Deck 2. And by then, I'd imagine the software issues and such will also largely be fixed and the lingering questions of how new technologies like Direct Storage will perform will be answered. Till then though, I'll skip for now...

Sorry to hear it didn't work out on you end. But, you know, now you can resell it for a staggering price. ;)

Plus, I wish your other longer comment was started here.

Conina said:

What I like about the SteamOS on the Steam Deck:

• well integrated sleep mode
  • fast adjustment of brightness, "performance overlay level", fps limit, TDP limit and GPU clock via "..." button
  • fast access to the friends list via "..." button (when online)
  • fast access to notifications via "..." button (f.e. to view the last screenshots)
  • fast access to Home, Library, Store, Chat, Media, Downloads, Settings, Power via Steam button
  • shortcut list when Steam button is pressed for a longer time
  • quick screenshots via Steam button + R1
  • fast zoom in via Steam button + L1 (zoom range can be adjusted)
  • fast triggering of ESC, TAB or ENTER via Steam-Button + Digi-Cross
  • quick closing of a game (Steam-Button + B both pressed)
  • no nagging when there is no internet access anymore (the Windows version of Steam would have to be restarted in offline mode first; SteamOS searches a connection for a few seconds and starts the game offline if it doesn't find a connection
  • automatic synchronization of games played offline when you have online access again
  • while the DirectX install script is running at the first game start, the used controller template is displayed
  • extensive control adjustments, individually for each game (press Steam button shortly, then 2x with stick or digi-cross to the right)
  • sensible three-way division of control presets ("Recommended", "Templates", "Community Layouts")
  • when downloading a game the savegames are synchronized instantly, not only when starting a game (important if you downloaded games over night and leave your Wifi area in the morning, then want to play these games while offline)
  • most of the games I tried so far worked out of the box with no tinkering.... many of them not yet validated by Valve

What I dislike

• the fan runs even with a power consumption of less than 7 watts, even if no game is started! (only when the temperature falls below 5 watts / 40° C it sometimes pauses... but you have to turn down the brightness for that
  • no function keys (F1 - F12) on the on-screen keyboard
  • games moved in offline mode (between SSD + microSD) can only be started when online again, since it forces an update
  • the game state synchronization doesn't work every time
  • some games take over display settings which can't be displayed on the Steam Deck (with Monkey Island 1 + 2 S.E. I had to reduce the resolution to 1280x720 on the desktop PC so that the compatible settings were transfered to the Steam Deck)

I love holding the Steam Deck, my worries about it being too big or too heavy didn't come true.

I'll definitely keep it.

This is awesome to know, especially the bolded part.

I tested a lot of adventure games / interactive stories in the last week.

Monkey Island series:

Monkey Island 1: Special Edition: runs without problems (after I reduced the resolution on the desktop PC), good stick-button-control and touch-control, good readable texts
1280x800 highest graphics settings, 60 fps: 8 - 10 watts power consumption, battery lasts 4 - 5 hours

Monkey Island 2: Special Edition: after starting the game, the main menu gets always called up right after closing it... currently not playable!

Monkey Island 3: The Curse of Monkey Island: does not start!

Monkey Island 4: Escape from Monkey Island: game basically runs, but gamepad controls cannot be selected...
of course you can assign all buttons in the Steam layout yourself, but I'd rather wait for a user template.
1280x800, 60 fps (no graphics settings): 9 - 11 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 4 hours.

Tales of Monkey Island: runs without problems, good stick-button-control and touch-control, font size a bit small
1280x720 highest graphics setting, 60 fps: 8 - 9 watts power consumption, battery lasts 4 - 5 hours

---------

Dreamfall series:

The Longest Journey: starts with sound only, no image output

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey: runs without problems, good stick-button controls, good readable texts
1280x800 highest graphics settings, 60 fps: 8 - 9 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 4 - 5 hours

Dreamfall Chapters: runs without problems, good stick-button control, good readable texts
1280x800 highest graphics settings: over 20 watts power consumption, because fps limiter doesn't work, battery lasts about 2 hours
with lowering the TDP limit and the settings to "medium": approx. 60 fps with approx. 13 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours

---------

Life is Strange series:

Life is Strange 1 (Remastered): runs without problems, good stick-button controls, very legible texts.
1280x800 "medium", 30 fps, 10 - 11 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 4 hours
1280x800 "medium", 60 fps, 15 - 18 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2 - 2.5 hours

Life is Strange: Before the Storm (Remastered): runs without problems, good stick-button control, very legible texts
1280x800 "medium", 30 fps, 10 - 11 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 4 hours
1280x800 "medium", 60 fps, 15 - 18 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2 - 2.5 hours

Life is Strange 2: runs without problems, good stick-button control, good readable texts
1280x720 "medium", 30 fps, 10 - 15 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours
1280x720 "medium", 60 fps, 15 - 25 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2 - 2.5 hours

Life is Strange: True Colors: runs without problems, good stick-button controls, font and font size can be adjusted

1280x720 "cinematic", 20 - 30 fps, 20 - 25 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2 hours
1280x720 "very high", 30 fps, 12 - 25 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2 - 3 hours
1280x720 "high", 30 fps, 11 - 18 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours
1280x720 "medium", 30 fps, 10 - 14 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours
1280x720 "low", 30 fps, 9 - 12 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 4 hours
1280x720 "low", 60 fps, 15 - 25 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2 hours

---------

Syberia series:

Syberia 1 freezes after Syberia logo, rattling noise from the speakers.

Syberia 2: runs without problems, good stick-button control and touch control, font size a bit small
1024x768, 60 fps (no graphics settings): 8 - 10 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 4 - 5 hours

Syberia 3: runs without problems, good stick-button control, font size a bit small
1280x720, 60 fps, highest graphics settings: approx. 20 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2 hours
1280x720, 30 fps, highest graphics settings: 11 - 12 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours

Syberia: The World Before (demo): runs without problems, good stick-button controls, subtitles a bit small, inventory descriptions very small, game looks very good even with low settings

Concert scene: 1280x720 "high", 20 - 30 fps, 18 - 25 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 2 hours
Prison scene: 1280x720 "high", 30 fps, 10 - 15 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours
Concert scene: 1280x720 "low", 25 - 30 fps, 12 - 18 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2 - 3 hours
Prison scene: 1280x720 "low", 30 fps, 10 - 13 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours

---------

Frogwares:

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened (Remastered): runs without problems, good mouse emulation via right stick or touch pad in "third person", good stick-button control in "first person", font size very small.
1280x800 highest graphics setting, 60 fps, 7 - 9 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 4 - 5 hours

Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis: runs without problems, good mouse emulation via right stick or touch pad in "Third Person", good stick-button control in "First Person", font size very small
1280x800 highest graphics setting, 60 fps, 7 - 9 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 4 - 5 hours

Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper: runs without problems, good mouse emulation via right stick or touch pad in "Third Person", good stick-button control in "First Person", font size very small

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes: runs without problems, good stick-button control, well readable texts
1280x800 highest graphics setting, 60 fps: 8 - 12 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 4 hours

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishment: runs without problems, good stick-button control, font size very small
1280x720 "high", 60 fps: 15 - 18 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2 - 3 hours
1280x720 "high", 30 fps: 11 - 14 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter: runs without problems, good stick-button control, font size very small
1280x720 "high", 50 - 60 fps: 20 - 25 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2 hours
1280x720 "high", 30 fps: 11 - 13 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours

The Sinking City: runs without problems, good stick-button control, font size a bit small
1280x720 "high", 50 - 60 fps: 20 - 25 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2 hours
1280x720 "high", 30 fps: 11 - 13 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours

---------

Quantic Dream:

Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy (Remastered): runs without problems, good stick-button controls, good readable text
1280x800 highest graphics setting, 60 fps, 7 - 8 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 5 - 6 hours

Heavy Rain: runs without problems, stick-button control with slight problems (e.g. drying after showering), good readable texts
1280x720 "high", 60 fps, 12 - 16 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours

Beyond: Two Souls: runs without problems, good stick-button control, good readable texts
1280x720 "high", 60 fps, 18 - 22 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 2 hours
1280x720 "high", 30 fps, 15 - 18 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2.5 hours
1280x720 "medium", 30 fps, 12 - 15 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours

Detroit: Become Human: runs without problems, good stick-button controls, font size a bit small.
1280x720 "medium", 50 - 60 fps, 18 - 25 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2 hours
1280x720 "medium", 30 fps, 10 - 15 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours

---------

Supermassive Games:

The Dark Pictures 1: Man of Medan: runs without problems, good stick-button control, font size extremely small (decision descriptions can be quickly zoomed in via Steam button + L1).
1280x800 "high", 30 fps, 11 - 22 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 2 - 3 hours
1280x800 "medium", 30 fps, 10 - 18 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours
1280x800 "low", 30 fps, 9 - 16 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours

The Dark Pictures 2: Little Hope: runs without problems, good stick-button control, well readable texts (font size adjustable)
1280x800 "high", 30 fps, 11 - 22 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 2 - 3 hours
1280x800 "medium", 30 fps, 10 - 18 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours
1280x800 "low", 30 fps, 9 - 16 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours

The Dark Pictures 3: House of Ashes: runs without problems, good stick-button control, well readable texts (font size adjustable)
1280x800 "high", 30 fps, 10 - 16 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours

---------

Telltale Games:

Sam & Max: Season 1: runs without problems, good touch controls, mouse arrow can also be controlled via right stick, good readable texts
1024x768 "high", 50 fps, 12 - 14 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours
1024x768 "high", 30 fps, 9 - 11 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours

Sam & Max: Season 2: runs without problems, good touch controls, mouse arrow can also be controlled via right stick, good readable texts
1280x800 "high", 50 fps, 12 - 14 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours
1280x800 "high", 30 fps, 9 - 11 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours

Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People: runs without problems, very good touch control, mouse arrow can also be controlled via right stick, well readable texts
1280x800 highest graphics setting, 50 - 60 fps, 6 - 7 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 5 - 6 hours (unstable frame rate)
1280x800 highest graphics setting, 30 fps, 6 - 7 watts power consumption, battery lasts over 5 - 6 hours (stable frame rate)

Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures runs without problems, good stick-button control, well readable texts.
1280x720 highest graphics setting, 60 fps, 7 - 8 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 5 - 6 hours

Tales of Monkey Island: runs without problems, good stick-button-control and touch-control, font size a bit small
1280x720 highest graphics setting, 60 fps: 8 - 9 watts power consumption, battery lasts 4 - 5 hours

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse: runs without problems, control is unfortunately still mouse-focused (stick-button control only rudimentary, using inventory items is a pain), good readable texts
1280x720 highest graphics setting, 60 fps, 7 - 10 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 4 - 5 hours

Back to the Future: The Game: runs without problems, good touch controls, mouse arrow can also be controlled via right stick, good readable texts
1280x720 highest graphics setting, 60 fps: 7 - 8 watts power consumption, battery lasts 4 - 5 hours

Jurassic Park: The Game: Controller is not recognized, some QTEs difficult due to mouse emulation, good readable texts

The Walking Dead: Season 1 runs without problems, good stick-button-control and touch-control, good readable texts
1280x800 "high", 60 fps, 7 - 8 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 5 - 6 hours

The Wolf Among Us runs without problems, good stick-button control, good readable texts.
1280x720 "high", 60 fps, 7 - 9 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 5 - 6 hours

The Walking Dead: Season 2 runs without problems, good stick-button-control and touch-control, good readable texts.
1280x800 "high", 60 fps, 7 - 8 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 5 - 6 hours

Game of Thrones runs without problems, good stick-button control, font size a bit small
1280x720 "high", 60 fps, 7 - 9 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 5 - 6 hours

Tales from the Borderlands runs without problems, good stick-button control, well readable texts
1280x720 "high", 60 fps, 7 - 9 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 5 - 6 hours

Minecraft Story Mode: Season 1 runs without problems, good stick-button control, good readable texts (font size adjustable)

The Walking Dead: Michonne runs without problems, good stick-button control and touch control, good readable texts (font size adjustable).
1280x800 "high", 60 fps, 7 - 9 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 5 - 6 hours

Batman: The Telltale Series: runs without problems, good stick-button controls, good readable texts (font size adjustable)
1280x720 "high", 60 fps, 10 - 16 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series: runs without problems, good stick-button control, good readable texts (font size adjustable)
1280x720 "high", 60 fps, 12 - 22 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 2 - 3 hours
1280x720 "high", 30 fps, 9 - 12 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours

The Walking Dead: A New Frontier: runs without problems, good stick-button control, well readable texts (font size adjustable)
1280x720 "high", 60 fps, 12 - 19 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2 - 3 hours
1280x720 "high", 30 fps, 9 - 12 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours

Minecraft Story Mode: Season 2 runs without problems, good stick-button control, well readable texts (font size adjustable)
1280x720 "high", 60 fps, 10 - 14 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours
1280x720 "high", 30 fps, 8 - 11 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 4 hours

Batman: The Enemy Within: runs without problems, good stick-button control, well readable texts (font size adjustable)
1280x720 "high", 60 fps, 13 - 20 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 2 - 3 hours
1280x720 "high", 30 fps, 9 - 13 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours
1280x720 "low", 60 fps, 8 - 10 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 4 - 5 hours

Sam & Max: Save the World (Remastered): runs without problems, good stick-button control, well readable texts, looks great on "low" as well
1280x720 "high", 50 - 60 fps, 20 - 25 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 2 hours
1280x720 "low", 60 fps, 10 - 12 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours

Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space (Remastered): runs without problems, good stick-button control, well readable texts, looks great on "low" as well
1280x720 "high", 50 - 60 fps, 20 - 25 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 2 hours
1280x720 "low", 60 fps, 10 - 12 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours

---------

Visual Novels:

AI: The Somnium Files runs without problems, good stick-button control, good readable text
1280x720, highest graphics settings, 60 fps, 10 - 15 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours
1280x720, highest graphics settings, 30 fps, 8 - 12 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 4 - 5 hours

Clannad: runs without problems, good stick-button-control and touch-control, font size a bit small
1280x720 (no graphics settings), 30 fps, 6 - 7 watts power consumption, battery lasts over 6 hours

Danganronpa 1: runs without problems, good stick-button control, very legible texts
1280x720, highest graphics settings, 60 fps, 6 - 7 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 5 - 6 hours

Danganronpa 2: runs without problems, good stick-button control, very legible texts
1280x720, highest graphics settings, 60 fps, 7 - 8 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 5 - 6 hours

Danganronpa V3: runs without problems, good stick-button control, very legible texts
1280x720, highest graphics settings, 60 fps, 12 - 16 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours
1280x720, highest graphics settings, 30 fps, 10 - 13 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours

Muv-Luv: runs without problems, good touch control, well readable texts
1280x720 (no graphics settings), 60 fps, 7 - 8 watts power consumption, battery lasts 5 - 6 hours

The Fruit of Grisaia: only runs with annoying graphic errors!, font size a bit small
1280x720 (no graphics settings), 60 fps, 10 - 15 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 3 - 4 hours

The Great Ace Attorney: runs without problems, good stick-button-control and touch-control, good readable texts
1280x720, highest graphics settings, with TDP at minimum still fast enough, battery lasts over 6 hours

The House of Fata Morgana: problems with the save/load menu!, good readable texts
1280x720 (no graphics settings), 60 fps, 9 - 10 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 4 hours

Zero Escape 1: Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors runs without problems, good stick-button-control and touch-control, good readable texts
1280x720, highest graphics settings, 60 fps, 6 - 7 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 5 - 6 hours

Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward does not start!

Zero Escape 3: Zero Time Dilemma runs without problems, good stick-button-control and touch-control, good readable texts
1280x720, highest graphics settings, 60 fps, 8 - 10 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 4 - 5 hours

---------

Other:

Afterparty runs without problems, good stick-button control, font size a bit small.
1280x800 "ultra", 60 fps, 12 - 15 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours
1280x800 "high", 60 fps, 10 - 13 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours
1280x800 "low", 60 fps, 7 - 10 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 5 hours

Beautiful Desolation runs without problems, no direct control of the protagonist, right stick controls the mouse arrow!, font size a bit small
1280x720, highest graphics settings, 60 fps, 8 - 10 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 4 - 5 hours

Cleo - A Pirate's Tale runs without problems, good stick-button control, font size very small
1280x720 (no graphics settings), 60 fps, 6 - 8 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 5 - 6 hours

Close to the Sun freezes after the Unreal logo when the start screen is displayed

Dear Esther: runs without problems, good stick-button control, font size a bit small
1280x800 highest graphics settings, 60 fps, 7 - 9 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 5 - 6 hours

Dear Esther: Landmark Edition: runs without problems, good stick-button control, good readable texts
1280x800 highest graphics settings, 60 fps, 8 - 11 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 4 - 5 hours

Draugen: runs without problems, good stick-button control, good readable texts
1280x720 "high", 24 - 30 fps, 18 - 25 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2 hours
1280x720 "medium" (+AA medium), 30 fps, 12 - 18 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 hours

Firewatch runs without problems, good stick-button control, good readable texts
1280x800 "high", 60 fps, 15 - 20 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 2 - 3 hours
1280x800 "high", 30 fps, 9 - 12 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 3 - 4 hours

Forgotton Anne runs without problems, good stick-button control, well readable texts
1280x720 "high", 60 fps, 10 - 11 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 4 hours
1280x720 "high", 30 fps, 7 - 8 Watt power consumption, battery lasts approx. 5 - 6 hours

Impostor Factory runs without problems, good stick-button-control and touch-control, good readable texts
1280x720 (no graphics settings), 60 fps, 6 watts power consumption, battery lasts over 6 hours

Lacuna runs without problems, good stick-button-control, good readable texts
1280x720 (no graphics settings), 60 fps, 10 watts power consumption, battery lasts about 4 hours

Night in the Woods runs without problems, good stick-button control, good readable texts
1280x720 (no graphics settings), 60 fps, 7 - 8 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 5 - 6 hours

Unavowed runs without problems, no direct control of the protagonist, right stick controls the mouse arrow!, good readable texts
1280x720 (no graphics settings, 60 fps, 8 - 10 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 4 - 5 hours)
1280x720 (no graphics settings, 30 fps, 7 - 8 watts power consumption, battery lasts approx. 5 - 6 hours

---------

So far over 1500 games are classified by Valve as "verified" or "playable"... next milestone is the 2000 barrier.

The more you filter by SteamDB rating, the higher the percentage, e.g. over a third of the games with 90% rating are already "positively tested".
For titles with a rating of 85% and higher, it is already every fifth game:

(View image in full screen mode)

My own Steam collection has 425 playable+ titles according to "Check my Deck", but according to my own tests I have several hundreds of compatible games without an official rating.

Oh, and Xbox Cloud gaming seems to be working now on the Steam Deck (when you are in a WiFi area):

https://www.theverge.com/22985166/xbox-cloud-gaming-steam-deck-microsoft-edge-beta

When I tried that a few days ago with the Chrome browser, the Sticks and Buttons weren't responsive.

Have to check that again. Microsoft even has a page with detailed install instructions:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/xbox-cloud-gaming-in-microsoft-edge-with-steam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

Last edited by Conina - on 19 March 2022