By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ghost of Tsushima - Review of Not the Director's Cut!

SvennoJ said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

It's not the amount, it's the precedent of thinking, "well, we're doing so good, and the PS5 is selling great... so we're going to put a premium $10 tax on everything PS5!".  Greed is an awful thing, and companies have this tendency to only push prices up when they're the market leader already making the most money.  This is virtually the universal complaint/concern: I haven't really seen anyone say that $10 makes it unaffordable lol

It's not a premium tax. I'm paying for the same ice cream as in 2000, except now it's nearly twice as expensive.
$50 in 2000 currently amounts to $78

It's not greed, it's inflation.
It's also not greed to charge for actual work having been done.
They're not charging for BC, the charge is for the extras.

Governments have the tendency to devalue money over time.

Inflation is a tricky area because it's not linear: there's socio-economic value that has to be accounted for.  In other words, if the dollar is suddenly worth half, the price of goods would not simply double to maintain the same "value".  This is WAYYY too big of a topic to bring up here, but inflation is not as simple as people make it out to be, not that the cost of living (at least here in America in more tech focused cities) hasn't vastly outpaced minimum wage in large part due to inflation... lol

Hynad said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Irony, you should look it up.

Remember, even the people in this thread who disagree with me or against me are staying on the topic of the thread and video: you made it personal and went for me instead.  This might surprise you, but to adults, this speaks volumes about the kind of person you are.

You keep reinforcing how spot-on I was.

👍

But here,  I’ll give you what you want: “What a good and funny review format you chose for yourself. So clever and imaginative! There’s really nothing I can imagine you could do to be better! So, so good!”

You really are proving you only see/hear what you want to...  As if no one criticizes or disagrees in which, unlike you, I've proven I'm willing to have civil discourse.

"You suck, you're bad, cringe" is not civil discourse.  That is why my responses to you are short: conversation with you is impossible because you simply do not like me but lack the ability and honesty to state it and move on.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network

I get the greed thing, but the issue I have is the merit of the game and the stuff Suck Punch managed to add that everyone else would have charged for:

1) cosmetic extras
2) variety of armours
3) extra modes

Sony games seem to be following this format where the game itself gives you a ton of stuff that would usually cost extra. Spidey is another example with the costumes, GTS with every car, track and extras free.

It's a £10 upgrade which is far better than them having charged for the DLC they gave for free and then charging extra again for the new DLC. You still have the option of playing the PS4 version or waiting for the PS5 version to go cheap. In a way, you get the best of both worlds.

The arguement of tools getting better etc is invalid since games are more demanding. We've seen numbers of people hired and companies hired grow from 10 to hundreds. We demands more, and companies have to deliver more:

1) better AI
2) better textures
3) better assets
4) more assets
5) better animation
6) better actors and voice actors
7) better stories
8) better dialogue
9) more quests
10) better quests
11) set pieces
12) bosses
13) better music
14) more options
15) more FX
16) better FX
17) longevity
18) multiplayer
19) replayability
20) more and more and more

All these things come at a price and studios have to pay for it. And we argue in forums about Devs not getting paid enough, and crunch and not having sociable hours. Guess what? To get these things for Devs, companies outsource which costs money.

With Ghost, they are working on a sequel. They developed free DLC with Legends, then went to work on The directors cut whilst another team works on a sequel. We want the Devs to get paid, yet we want the upgrade for free?! We need to be consistent with what we want and how we want to support the studio's we like.

ZyroXZ2 said:
SvennoJ said:

It's not a premium tax. I'm paying for the same ice cream as in 2000, except now it's nearly twice as expensive.
$50 in 2000 currently amounts to $78

It's not greed, it's inflation.
It's also not greed to charge for actual work having been done.
They're not charging for BC, the charge is for the extras.

Governments have the tendency to devalue money over time.

Inflation is a tricky area because it's not linear: there's socio-economic value that has to be accounted for.  In other words, if the dollar is suddenly worth half, the price of goods would not simply double to maintain the same "value".  This is WAYYY too big of a topic to bring up here, but inflation is not as simple as people make it out to be, not that the cost of living (at least here in America in more tech focused cities) hasn't vastly outpaced minimum wage in large part due to inflation... lol

Hynad said:

👍

But here,  I’ll give you what you want: “What a good and funny review format you chose for yourself. So clever and imaginative! There’s really nothing I can imagine you could do to be better! So, so good!”

You really are proving you only see/hear what you want to...  As if no one criticizes or disagrees in which, unlike you, I've proven I'm willing to have civil discourse.

"You suck, you're bad, cringe" is not civil discourse.  That is why my responses to you are short: conversation with you is impossible because you simply do not like me but lack the ability and honesty to state it and move on.

I have been honest from my first comment here. See how you’re taking it.

Fei-Hung said:

I get the greed thing, but the issue I have is the merit of the game and the stuff Suck Punch managed to add that everyone else would have charged for:

1) cosmetic extras
2) variety of armours
3) extra modes

Sony games seem to be following this format where the game itself gives you a ton of stuff that would usually cost extra. Spidey is another example with the costumes, GTS with every car, track and extras free.

It's a £10 upgrade which is far better than them having charged for the DLC they gave for free and then charging extra again for the new DLC. You still have the option of playing the PS4 version or waiting for the PS5 version to go cheap. In a way, you get the best of both worlds.

The arguement of tools getting better etc is invalid since games are more demanding. We've seen numbers of people hired and companies hired grow from 10 to hundreds. We demands more, and companies have to deliver more:

1) better AI
2) better textures
3) better assets
4) more assets
5) better animation
6) better actors and voice actors
7) better stories
8) better dialogue
9) more quests
10) better quests
11) set pieces
12) bosses
13) better music
14) more options
15) more FX
16) better FX
17) longevity
18) multiplayer
19) replayability
20) more and more and more

All these things come at a price and studios have to pay for it. And we argue in forums about Devs not getting paid enough, and crunch and not having sociable hours. Guess what? To get these things for Devs, companies outsource which costs money.

With Ghost, they are working on a sequel. They developed free DLC with Legends, then went to work on The directors cut whilst another team works on a sequel. We want the Devs to get paid, yet we want the upgrade for free?! We need to be consistent with what we want and how we want to support the studio's we like.

You are paying for the DLC, its not free.

Paying for extra DLC isnt the problem. Its the PS5 tax.

Hynad said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Hynad said:

👍

I have been honest from my first comment here. See how you’re taking it.

Hynad why dont you step out and explain why you dont like his videos instead of saying "its bad, its cringe" im curious to see your side of it. 

If you are going to claim something is bad than give merit.

ZyroXZ2 said:

LurkerJ said:

Well, stating buying a car is a lot more complex doesn't mean much if you just go ahead and continue comparing them anyway. It's not remotely comparable, and as I mentioned, I am not gonna race to the bottom just to convince you otherwise. 

As for criticising your name, it wasn't an attempt to put you down or anything. As I mentioned, if your infamous review is anything to go by, it's only a matter of time before you're "discovered". Fyi, I thought Xbox 360 and Xbox one were stupid names, I don't mind Xbox series sounds like a step up to me, series S & X can only mean there will be Y & Z sooner than later, a great way to differentiate how powerful Xboxes are without needlessly throwing around the Pro moniker. Can you not change your xbox/PSN name? just wondering. 

Oh I know you weren't, I'm agreeing because you're not only not the first to mention this to me (and I include real life examples in this lol), but I already knew the name was arbitrary because it had to be.  In the old days, it was just "Zyro", but you can imagine that someone beat me to the punch as time went on and I couldn't use it anymore.  Queue not-entirely-but-mostly random add-ons, and THEN queue me also using that for my PSN username which for the longest time could not be changed.  I had a PS3 before an Xbox One, so eventually I just had to keep using it or risk having slightly different usernames here and there.  Eventually it just kept going because there was no point in changing it for Ubisoft Connect, or EA Desktop (called different things before), or Epic Games Launcher, etc. etc.  I'm fully aware it's absolutely garbage to most eyes, a string of nonsense, but the consistency is what I'm currently banking on and changing it now would be... well... kind of rough, no?

And for the record, like in other threads, I'm very open to constructive criticism, it's just that when October hits, I'll have been doing gaming for four years (makes me sad when I realize how small I still am!) and have seen/heard the vast majority of things people tell me about my channel lmao

How old are you? 

Search "Youtube Academy" by Ali Abdaal. I am sure it will change your approach to Youtube videos and open your eyes to how you can improve and increase your chances of success. I can give you detailed feedback but I am no expert, I am sure you'll learn a lot more joining the academy, take it from someone who failed at what they wanted to do for twice as long as you did, don't stop but it's probably do things differently which I hope something like the Youtube Academy can help.

Few things to consider, the visual set up really needs a shake up, so does the sound. My dude, those gunshot effects aren't appealing and distressing in my opinion. I just watched your Ghost review, I think your original sound in the infamous review is a lot better and very commercial actually (didn't realise it was 4 years old!). I am not sure your cowboy persona should be the face of the channel, I get that you like it, it doesn't have to disappear, but maybe cameos or brief appearances instead? In any case, no expert here, but the world is full of media to consume, devices to use, and operating systems to choose from. Chase the "Apple model", go for taste, go for what people perceive as "beautiful presentation". You got the original content excellently already, but you need to work on your presentation, starting with the setup. Marques Brownlee is one of the most popular tech youtubers, yet his content is mostly flat, superficial and just not informative enough compared to someone like Dave2D. Both, however, work very hard on how they present their content. Even someone as tasteless as Linus (from Linus tech tips) work incredibly hard to present their content more tastefully. 

Maybe this is helpful? 

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Oh I know you weren't, I'm agreeing because you're not only not the first to mention this to me (and I include real life examples in this lol), but I already knew the name was arbitrary because it had to be.  In the old days, it was just "Zyro", but you can imagine that someone beat me to the punch as time went on and I couldn't use it anymore.  Queue not-entirely-but-mostly random add-ons, and THEN queue me also using that for my PSN username which for the longest time could not be changed.  I had a PS3 before an Xbox One, so eventually I just had to keep using it or risk having slightly different usernames here and there.  Eventually it just kept going because there was no point in changing it for Ubisoft Connect, or EA Desktop (called different things before), or Epic Games Launcher, etc. etc.  I'm fully aware it's absolutely garbage to most eyes, a string of nonsense, but the consistency is what I'm currently banking on and changing it now would be... well... kind of rough, no?

And for the record, like in other threads, I'm very open to constructive criticism, it's just that when October hits, I'll have been doing gaming for four years (makes me sad when I realize how small I still am!) and have seen/heard the vast majority of things people tell me about my channel lmao

How old are you? 

Search "Youtube Academy" by Ali Abdaal. I am sure it will change your approach to Youtube videos and open your eyes to how you can improve and increase your chances of success. I can give you detailed feedback but I am no expert, I am sure you'll learn a lot more joining the academy, take it from someone who failed at what they wanted to do for twice as long as you did, don't stop but it's probably do things differently which I hope something like the Youtube Academy can help.

Few things to consider, the visual set up really needs a shake up, so does the sound. My dude, those gunshot effects aren't appealing and distressing in my opinion. I just watched your Ghost review, I think your original sound in the infamous review is a lot better and very commercial actually (didn't realise it was 4 years old!). I am not sure your cowboy persona should be the face of the channel, I get that you like it, it doesn't have to disappear, but maybe cameos or brief appearances instead? In any case, no expert here, but the world is full of media to consume, devices to use, and operating systems to choose from. Chase the "Apple model", go for taste, go for what people perceive as "beautiful presentation". You got the original content excellently already, but you need to work on your presentation, starting with the setup. Marques Brownlee is one of the most popular tech youtubers, yet his content is mostly flat, superficial and just not informative enough compared to someone like Dave2D. Both, however, work very hard on how they present their content. Even someone as tasteless as Linus (from Linus tech tips) work incredibly hard to present their content more tastefully. 

Maybe this is helpful? 

I'll keep my age a secret, I like that it's highly inaccurate all over the internet and I get an evil chuckle out of it

Oh I've had a lot of critique over the years about setup, and I've always said the same thing: there's cost and time involved.  I've always had shitty setups (never once have I been proud of the background, and only a handful of people know that lol), but there's a lot less I can do about that than people are recognizing.  As you've seen my older version of the channel, then I can readily discuss a few tidbits with you that are analytically showing up:

- Yes, the gunshot sound was purposely picked for both shock value and thematics.  Even though a lot of it is gone or VERY old, I used to have many bits/cameos with the cowboy and a prop gun.  For some reason, people remember the prop gun antics the most.  I also recognize that "guns" aren't exactly as you say, commercially appealing.  Some of these were purposeful decisions to go against the grain because I was more commercially "viable" in season one than I am now, and still reached an analytical point that says, "hey bud, you aren't going to make it in gaming".

- That leads to the second thing: I decided to just shake it all up and toss every bit of conventional wisdom out the window.  A "fuck it all" mode if you will.  Some of the most unusual things making it on the internet are things I and many people would consider odd: vtubers (people who use a virtual character), complete and utterly unappealing visual getups, completely odd humor, etc.  The funny part is that I do know what you're saying, but I relaunched my channel purposely ignoring and deciding, "hell with it, I'm going to do what people here remember the most, and just do it however I can".  If there's one thing I've learned, I recognize so many channels "network" (read: kiss ass) with bigger channels to try and get visibility.  Between barely having the time (I've been on this forum for an HOUR now reading and typing replies, and thus I'm missing my lunch!) and recognizing that doing things people like doesn't equate to success, I've headed into my relaunch bull-headedly.

In summary, my setups have always sucked, especially in regards to my background.  But some of the other things are intended shock value because going with the grain before did not lead to a growing path, it led to a stagnating one.  And as the saying goes, "doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity".  Yes, there are many improvements I could be making, and in truth, I could spend more money and make it as "top tier" YouTuber as possible... And I'm going to be honest with you, the data says that's just not going to cut it.  As long as I don't appeal to the majority of "gamers" with the way I play just about every genre, every platform, any game, and embrace gaming as an enjoyment, and exude values of independent reviewing and non-bias, then I am the enemy of every fanbase.  At this point, I know my time in gaming will come to an end, I don't belong here and have been always aware of it.  But call it the youth in me, I sometimes keep hoping to be wrong!

For the record, I appreciate the effort you're taking to critique me and give advice.  It seems like I'm pushing back, but it's more that I've sat for hours trying to understand what nearly 4 years of doing gaming on YouTube is showing me through data, and the biggest issue is that I don't take sides and that I only appeal to the good people in gaming, and good people are hard to find as it is, imagine just trying to find the ones in gaming!

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/