By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

Pemalite said:
mjk45 said:

I agree There's nothing wrong in feeling disappointed and wanting more and I for one will be keeping my original Switch but that's different from the where's the damn Pro, Nintendo pulled a fast one on us that RPGfan posted.

Nah. This is why we should never take stock in rumors. They are god damn rumors for a reason.

Base your expectations on actual evidence instead.

Using your terminology a god damn great way to take my reply out of context, Base your conclusions on the full story.  If you followed the chain of replies you would know I first posted a reply agreeing with OTBWY in regard to RPGfan's post that blamed Nintendo with "where's my damn Pro, Nintendo pulled a fast one" comments, I agreed that it's not Nintendo's fault and seeing how the media works nobody should have be surprised that it was over inflated, so we can blame no one but ourselves for any hype and expectation.

The part you highlighted was my reply to tsogud, and that was just me trying to show that gamers like him being disappointed with the actual spec is Ok and is different from comments that blame Nintendo for their rumor driven hype and expectations not being delivered ,

Last edited by mjk45 - on 07 July 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

Bofferbrauer2 said:

There hasn't been any new Tegra announced or leaked which could have pointed at it, so there simply wasn't any new hardware possible apart from a Switch (ha!) to X2. But since the die-shrink of the X1, the performance advantage of the X2 would be slim at best. It's successors Xavier, Orin and Atlan, all of them being developed with the automotive industry in mind, are way too large and power-consuming to be of any use in a handheld without modification. In Xavier's case, it's the Volta GPU that was 100% geared for HPC and other industrial work and is just very unefficient as a gaming GPU. Also, Orin and Atlan are late, with Orin only really releasing next year and Atlan in 2025.

As a result, there is a distinct lack of viable option for a hardware upgrade until next year earliest unless NVidia would go on and make a totally custom Tegra chip for Nintendo, something NVidia has denied to be willing to do several times over.

Like I said in another thread, Nintendo may wish to keep it's SoC back on an older process node in order to not suffer the same fate as other chip manufacturers with the global shortage.
16nm FF is a good node. Old. But reliable and not congested.
Nintendo/nVidia does have room to move these designs to 12nm FF if they see the need which can accept designs from 16nm FF fairly easily... But keeping them back on 16nm is definitely the smart choice in 2021. (Even if it shits me off.)

As for Maxwell vs Pascal, throughput of those SoC's tend to be identical on a per-clock basis.
However in Pascals defense, nVidia did allot of re-working in order to mitigate any clocking bottlenecks so it was able to run at 50% higher clockrates than Maxwell. (The new node definitely helped keep power levels static however.)

Plus you also have improvements to Delta Colour Compression, one of the largest bottlenecks of the Switch and Tegra X1 is actually memory bandwidth, especially when allot of Alpha Effects come into play, DCC4 would provide Tegra X2 roughly 20% extra bandwidth through efficiency gains alone.

And then you mentioned Xavier, Orin and Atlan.
Yes they are designed for the Automotive industry, but there is a 10w Xavier variant which would offer substantial gains over Tegra X1. At 10w.

Orin and Atlan can also have cut-down designs as well, that would be suitable to the Switch. Might cost Nintendo an extra dollary-do, but it's still more than possible.

Just because a chip is designed for a certain market, doesn't meant it can't be taken and used in another market, chip manufacturers do it all the time.

Yeah, I know they can be transformed to be used in another market. But you're glossing over the points I made before.

1. Xavier's Volta GPU is inadequate for mobile use as it's built with HPC and AI in mind and thus too power-consuming at same node and power draw compared to Pascal and Maxwell. Switch reportedly only draws 3W in handheld mode, and the NX 10W would need to cut almost all the power from the GPU's side since the CPU is already down to a quad-core with only 1.2Ghz, and even in console mode it would have some reduced power and thus performance for sure. I doubt Xavier with the same power draw could boost performance by more than 15-20% unless CPU limited (Carmel has about 80% higher IPC than the A57)
  2. Orin ain't even out yet and won't be for another year, while Atlan isn't out for another 4 years. So they can't be used anytime soon.
  3. NVidia has mentioned several times that they don't want to make custom or semi-custom chips like AMD does, So Nintendo is limited to the models NVidia produces - and neither of those is any good for the Switch.
Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 07 July 2021

BraLoD said:
Shaunodon said:

Switch is already the cheapest current-gen system, with by far the best library of games. No idea why it needs to be cheaper still, but this is obviously just relative to you and your subjective needs/wants.

Subjectively speaking for myself, someone could just hand me a PS5 right now, and I'd still be 50/50 on whether I'd want to clear the one spot on my media shelf it could actually fit comfortably, or if I'd just flog it off to a family member that would get more from it.

If only Sony could release a PS5 model that's more practical...

LOL, trying to bring Sony into a Nintendo thread to defend it seems like a common play right now.

It's ok, the Switch Oled being priced over a Series S makes complete sense, right? :D

Nintendo has really no reason to pursue better pricing policies indeed, some will defend everything they ever do instead of wanting them to do better.

People used the same argument when the OG switch launched with its launch price and yet it became a massive success regardless of its competition (I swear, the Switch is competition when it's convenient to you guys). Difference is that Sony chooses to sell at a loss, and ahem ahem earn back that difference by putting higher pricing on subs and games. It's about what part of the cost you shove onto the consumer. 

Two thoughts:

1) Free market, consumer's dictate price. The Switch isn't just outselling the competition, it is decimating the competition.  Clearly the Switch doesn't have a price issue, unless people don't believe in supply/demand

2) I'm not disappointed in this upgrade, because I was smart enough not to believe the "Pro 4k 120 fps 100 battery life" BS in the first place. Nintendo hasn't been pushing power from a hardware perspective for over 20 years. I don't get why people think Nintendo is suddenly be a company they clearly are not.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Two thoughts:

1) Free market, consumer's dictate price. The Switch isn't just outselling the competition, it is decimating the competition.  Clearly the Switch doesn't have a price issue, unless people don't believe in supply/demand

2) I'm not disappointed in this upgrade, because I was smart enough not to believe the "Pro 4k 120 fps 100 battery life" BS in the first place. Nintendo hasn't been pushing power from a hardware perspective for over 20 years. I don't get why people think Nintendo is suddenly be a company they clearly are not.

It has one, which is visible throughout Europe. Here the Switch is sold mostly at ~330€, and in several European countries (especially Germany), this is already considered too much. It seems to me like 299 was really the sweet spot between profitability and sales potential, but 349 and up could be too much.

I might be wrong with my analysis though. So if Nintendo keeps the old model in production, we should get a better view on the ratio between LCD, OLED and Lite models. If the LCD model sells about as well than the OLED or even better, it might very well indicate that the pricetag is considered too high for the small gains and people opting for the LCD model instead. If that happens, I could see Nintendo stopping production of the old model and reducing the price on the new one down to 299 as they can then see themselves that it was too high.

Around the Network

Neat. Gonna buy one just to be able to play those 2 Switch game modes in Super Mario Party.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Chrkeller said:

Two thoughts:

It has one, which is visible throughout Europe. Here the Switch is sold mostly at ~330€, and in several European countries (especially Germany), this is already considered too much. It seems to me like 299 was really the sweet spot between profitability and sales potential, but 349 and up could be too much.

I might be wrong with my analysis though. So if Nintendo keeps the old model in production, we should get a better view on the ratio between LCD, OLED and Lite models. If the LCD model sells about as well than the OLED or even better, it might very well indicate that the pricetag is considered too high for the small gains and people opting for the LCD model instead. If that happens, I could see Nintendo stopping production of the old model and reducing the price on the new one down to 299 as they can then see themselves that it was too high.

Switch, in Europe, is a top 10 all time best selling console.  Doesn't seem like a big issue to me.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Switch, in Europe, is a top 10 all time best selling console.  Doesn't seem like a big issue to me.  

It's just an educated guess based on the information I got, and it's certainly not true for all of Europe, but I'm pretty sure about my feeling here for some countries within Europe.

Alsi, it's part of the Top 10... at the 10th spot and with just 22M sold, only one quarter of the worldwide sales so far. That is a bit too low for my taste to not have some kind of issue other regions don't have or not to the same degree. And the higher price is the only reason that comes to my mind here.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Chrkeller said:

It's just an educated guess based on the information I got, and it's certainly not true for all of Europe, but I'm pretty sure about my feeling here for some countries within Europe.

Alsi, it's part of the Top 10... at the 10th spot and with just 22M sold, only one quarter of the worldwide sales so far. That is a bit too low for my taste to not have some kind of issue other regions don't have or not to the same degree. And the higher price is the only reason that comes to my mind here.

Depends on how you look at it.  Europe has long since been Sony land.  Breaking into Europe is a tall ask for Nintendo and they did a good job with the Switch.  Certainly much better than most of their other consoles.  

Either way, we are getting into the weeds.  Price isn't dictated by sum of the parts.  Price is driven by willingness of consumers to purchase and clearly Nintendo doesn't have a price issue.  I suspect it will pass the ps4 up in total sales, meaning it will be one of the best selling consoles of all time.  And their software has been lights out for sales as well.  MK8 and BotW still are selling well in many markets.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

I'd be willing to sell my day 1 Switch and pay the diff for this one, even though I only play docked and have no broadband and there doesn't appear to be any internal hardware upgrades.

Color is sweet, imo