By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anyone believe that Average Review Scores are nonsense?

Anyone who bases their purchase of a game purley on reviews is *insult* , Reviewers aren't any better than us at analysing how good a game is , it's not a skill.

The only real way to found out wether or not youl like a game is to watch the gameplay,screenshots see if they gameplay and graphics are apealing and then if your still not sure give it rent.

There's many games that i've enjoyed that received low scores and in the same vein there's many games i've disliked that received high scores , don't make the assumption you'll like it because some one else does.

Everyone saying "Omg AAA titles" is just a deluded fanboy.

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:

Do anyone notice how game reviews can be a load of nonsense? Popular games get inflated review scores such as the Halo's, Mario's, Zelda's Bioshock, Half-Life's, etc. Seriously why do review sites give out such high scores when they are not justified? Time and time again the high review scores do not always result in high game sales.

The PS3 games have been harshly reviewed in comparison to the Wii and 360 games. Multiplatform games on PS3/360 have received different scores when they were identical in every way. Reviewers have been biased towards both the Wii and 360. Reviewers have been very critical of the PS3.

Ok, you're wrong in a lot of ways here, imo.

Games don't "always" get inflated review scores. In fact, some of the games you mentioned are the best available, and people play them for months or years after their launch, especially Zelda, and Half-Life?

PS3 ports are usually the absolute worst version availaible.

PS3 games have been reviewed favorably compared to the Wii. You think Uncharted deserves a 9/10? Both Uncharted and Rachet recieved very high reviews. Very few other games on the PS3 are worth montioning at this point. Motostorm, Resistance. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Reviews are always biased; that's more or less a given seeing as they're somebody's opinion. I once tried to set up a low-bias review system that rates games on absence or presence of certain components (with the help of a fellow user), but it never really took off. I still have the template and explanation on my site, though: http://www.skyrender.net/review_scale.txt

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Don't look at the score it has just a symbolic value anyway read just the review and ignore that score.

Think twice before helping a friend in need.

A single review is the opinion of one elite gamer, who hopefully (though rarely) holds the game to some kind of standard rather than allow personal biases to run unchecked.

Even if you take a big swath of such reviews and average them, you still get a bunch of opinions from elite gamers, who represent only a fraction of the market, most of whom aren't trying to use objective standards in their reviews.

Such opinions are useful information, but try to keep the limitations of that information in mind when weighing your evidence to make a decision.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:

Do anyone notice how game reviews can be a load of nonsense? Popular games get inflated review scores such as the Halo's, Mario's, Zelda's Bioshock, Half-Life's, etc. Seriously why do review sites give out such high scores when they are not justified? Time and time again the high review scores do not always result in high game sales.

The PS3 games have been harshly reviewed in comparison to the Wii and 360 games. Multiplatform games on PS3/360 have received different scores when they were identical in every way. Reviewers have been biased towards both the Wii and 360. Reviewers have been very critical of the PS3.

They are rarely identical.  The Xbox 360 version inevitably has achievements and better online.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

DKII said:
You seriously think reviewers are biased *towards* the Wii?

Didn't you know............all wii games only deserve 50% at most...........these games getting 90% are obviously inflated due to Mario.

/sarcasm

i don't trust review scores that much so i don't rlly care that much about them when purchasing games

many great games
have scores like 4 and 5
who take the average down

''Hadouken!''

After giving the best SRPG ever 78% only, I lost no faith at all in game reviews.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS