By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why were developers brave enough for killer instint, sonic mania , streets of rage but not Banjo

It's not easy to make actually great 3D platformers.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Well, there is Yooka-Laylee...

That game is great considering the budget it was made with and the small team size. But it would have been a lot better if it had the same effort Banjo 1&2 had. I too wish someone would make a proper, AAA Banjo Threeie

Dulfite said:
mZuzek said:

Well, there is Yooka-Laylee...

That game is great considering the budget it was made with and the small team size. But it would have been a lot better if it had the same effort Banjo 1&2 had. I too wish someone would make a proper, AAA Banjo Threeie

Hmm... I wonder if a reboot would be on the cards instead... Been quite some time.

Unless your name is Mario or Sonic. 3D platformers just don't make money these days. So KS games and indies are the best you will get with rare exceptions like a Lucky's Tail. Banjo is in a weird spot. It's most famous on Nintendo consoles. Its last outing bombed on 360. It's kinda a risk for MS. Do you make a game on a console where the demographic is smaller for that type of game? Do you also put it on Switch as well as Xbox? Presents hardware issues if fully 3D. Then again after Smash bros. Who knows. Maybe a new game is in the works for both and will be announced soon.

Sonic Mania was a small-budget game. Balan Wonderworld is our more recent 3D big budget platformer and that didn't go well.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

A Hat in Time was the last new 3D platformer that I remember being a million selling hit.
I’m hoping that Psychonauts 2 is also successful.

Around the Network

Big 3D Platformers aren't exactly easy to achieve unless it has Mario in the title. They just aren't as popular in the industry anymore. I would love a Banjo Threeie however base on the reception of Yooka Leylee, i believe that might of scared a lot of devs off from making an ambition 3D Platformer.

I call bullshit on 3d platformers not being popular anymore. The release of the crash and spyro trilogies has shown that there is a big market still for 3d platformers outside of mario. Even indie games like a hat in time and yooka laylee can surpass 1 million copies sold. The audience is out there devs just need to actually put some effort in.