By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware May 16-22 - Switch Outsells Xbox 360

NS is like one of those action movie heroes going up the ladder killing the top 10 in the world one by one

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network

Signature goes here!

Wman1996 said:

PS3 is next. Passing the Wii might happen at the end of the year, but will almost surely happen next year.

If Switch matches last year's sales from here til the end of the year, then it will pass both Wii and PS1 by a margin of several million.  Considering that Switch did not having any major holiday release titles last year, it should be pretty easy for them to pass both Wii and PS1 before the end of the year.

mk7sx said:

@trunkswd 

No NPD April 2021 leaks, but we do have ranges based on results of the prediction game on Era.

Switch < 543k
164k < PS5 < 204k
163k < XBS < 167k

If those sales numbers are accurate that puts Xbox SX pretty close to PS5. Didn't really expect it to be that close in the US. I wonder if it's also closer that we thought in some European countries.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Wman1996 said:

PS3 is next. Passing the Wii might happen at the end of the year, but will almost surely happen next year.

If Switch matches last year's sales from here til the end of the year, then it will pass both Wii and PS1 by a margin of several million.  Considering that Switch did not having any major holiday release titles last year, it should be pretty easy for them to pass both Wii and PS1 before the end of the year.

And that's without even considering the prospects of a Switch revision which would almost certainly allow it to top the DS for the most shipped game system in a single year.

Around the Network
holzi said:
mk7sx said:

@trunkswd 

No NPD April 2021 leaks, but we do have ranges based on results of the prediction game on Era.

Switch < 543k
164k < PS5 < 204k
163k < XBS < 167k

If those sales numbers are accurate that puts Xbox SX pretty close to PS5. Didn't really expect it to be that close in the US. I wonder if it's also closer that we thought in some European countries.

Given the crazy surge in March for NSW and PS5 (likely >500K), I think stimulus + large end of FY shipment left inventory a little dry in early April.

The PS5 performed better in the US during April than UK.  April 2021 in the UK it slipped below the PS4 (!) and sold somewhere <5k units and even slipped behind the NSW YTD, after a gigantic Jan-Mar.  Inventory was definitely depleted.  Then it surged monstrously in May 2021 and leaped past the NSW YTD all over again lol.

I think in the US we'll see the NSW/PS5 both have better Apr > May holds than is typical (or maybe even increases).

archbrix said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

And that's without even considering the prospects of a Switch revision which would almost certainly allow it to top the DS for the most shipped game system in a single year.

Honestly, I think the only way Switch doesn't peak this year is if supply severely bottlenecks or their lineup for the rest of the year is absolute trash.

Another week with Switch over 400k. Will probably dip below for the first time in a while next week tho.

xMetroid said:

Another week with Switch over 400k. Will probably dip below for the first time in a while next week tho.

It was below 400k the first week of May.

@Kakadu18 Yeah, they just barely missed it that week! It's a shame that Snap only seemed to have a minor effect on Switch sales during its launch week. I do think it might dip below 400,000 over the next couple of weeks (late May to early June). Then it will probably stay above 400,000 after that with Mario Golf & SS HD. Maybe big E3 announcements might help during those weeks as well. Probably won't be under 350,000 though.