By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix announces Dragon Quest XII, Dragon Quest III Remake, and more

All great news. I'll be looking forward for updates on DQXII.
That DQIII remake looks fantastic. They should give the same treatment to FFIV or FFVI.

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 27 May 2021

Around the Network

I was watching this presentation last night.  I totally lost my shit when they announced DQ3 in HD-2D.  I've never even played the game before either.  I just want to see more RPGs made in the HD-2D style.  I am definitely getting this game, and I hope they remake more old DQ and Final Fantasy games using this approach.

Gotta say, I LOLed at the Dragon Quest 12 announcement.  I was like, "tell us something about the game".  We got basically nothing.  This feels a whole lot like a Metroid Prime 4 announcement.  Who knows when this game will get released?

For that matter we didn't get any info about release dates or platforms (well except for the one mobile game).  I have a feeling we are going to be seeing more info on some of these games in the next few weeks, possibly at a Nintendo and/or Sony presentation.

DQ 12 is probably 2 years away. I wonder if it's going to be release on PS4. But release on Switch or Switch Pro is a given due to popularity of the franchise in Japan, meaning they aren't going to push high fidelity graphics like Square do with Final Fantasy. Maybe they build the game for Switch and just port it to PS4/PS5, scale up might be easier than scale down 

Really don't think DQ needed to be more gritty but I'm down for it. I trust Armor Project enough to make a good game. I think in terms of the DQXII battle system they'll go more in a ATB direction, perhaps similar to Chrono Trigger with ideas also from FFVII Remake. DQXI did seem like a sendoff to classic Dragon Quest to me and my suspicion was confirmed with what Horii said during the stream.

A shame that they only showed the logo for DQXII, really interested to see how the changes they're making will play out.

The DQIII remake looks amazing, really looking forward to that, hopefully other games get the same treatment *cough* Chrono Trigger and FF4-6 *cough*

Around the Network

When Octopath Traveller came out I grumbled because of the steep price tag for what was essentially a AA title. I only bought it in the hopes that it would encourage SE to make more games in that style. DQIII remake isn't exactly what I wanted. IT"S WHAT I DIDN"T KNOW I WANTED BUT NEED!

Ljink96 said:

Really don't think DQ needed to be more gritty but I'm down for it. I trust Armor Project enough to make a good game. I think in terms of the DQXII battle system they'll go more in a ATB direction, perhaps similar to Chrono Trigger with ideas also from FFVII Remake. DQXI did seem like a sendoff to classic Dragon Quest to me and my suspicion was confirmed with what Horii said during the stream.

This makes me sad.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

I don't think the combat system in XII will have a huge makeover. They'll probably just add some "gimmick" to it just to make it a bit more interesting which is fine by me. I definetly don't think it should be an ARPG.

I don't know how they plan to make it more "mature". Just hope it still feels like a Dragon Quest game.

Last edited by Eric2048 - on 27 May 2021

All of this Dragon Quest and I'm just waiting for a port of Crono Trigger for modern systems.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Hopefully, they follow up with a Dragon Quest IV and Chrono Trigger remake. Dragon Warrior IV was only ever released on the NES and the game is insanely expensive thanks to scalpers. I can't think of any legitimate way to play that game right now which stinks. Edit: looks like DQ IV got released on the DS but is also insanely expensive.

Hopefully, Toriyama is doing some original artwork for the DQIII remake. I love seeing his signature art style in the DQ games and in Chrono Trigger.