By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation IR 2021 info (women, UC4 PC, 48 mil ps+, PS5 profits???)

Fei-Hung said:

How are they being even so quick I wonder. Is it the volume at which they purchasing and or the combination of units and manufacture cost? Something must have happened to break even.

If you look at their exagerated curve they probably were never 50 USD more expensive to produce than the retail price

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
method114 said:

Yep I'm hoping the PC trend continues. Could end up being my last Playstation console if so. I don't mind waiting a couple of years to play a game.

Couple vs 6 years is a big difference =p

lol very true but I'm hoping once they get more and more into releasing games on PC they'll set a standard. Days gone was just over 2 years. Right now it seems like they are more just doing what they can instead of having any real plans. Do we know who is even doing these ports? Is it the original devs? Some outside company? They might need to setup a studio just for that very purpose if they haven't already.

zero129 said:
mjk45 said:

It makes sense to port Uncharted 4 and save the last of Us for later, the reason is UC at the moment has run it's race while The Last of Us 2 still has sales value on PS4/5, the reason for only UC4 is most likely what I mentioned when they ported Horizon that Sony maybe looking at this as a way to make a high ROI from first party games without fully moving their franchises onto PC.

By porting select first party Games that have run their race on PS4 but are modern enough make a good looking PC port while the franchises themselves and their futures are kept tied to the PS5 PS6 etc, it also allows them more flexibility in how they approach PC going forward.

Or more like its a good way to start having their games ported to PC for when they inevitably allow PSNow native downloads and use that as their Store and subscription service on PC. I also expect to see closer releases for future Sony titles on PC. But since they have such a great backlog why not get them out of the way first?. Sony already knows PC players are not going to drop their PC's to go buy a PS5 to play Horizon 2 or Uncharted 5 etc so fully expect them games to also come to PC.

They don`t need to drop their PC to buy a PS5, in fact many PC gamers have consoles.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

method114 said:
DonFerrari said:

Couple vs 6 years is a big difference =p

lol very true but I'm hoping once they get more and more into releasing games on PC they'll set a standard. Days gone was just over 2 years. Right now it seems like they are more just doing what they can instead of having any real plans. Do we know who is even doing these ports? Is it the original devs? Some outside company? They might need to setup a studio just for that very purpose if they haven't already.

Well that is because it is different gen already. I think Sony will port only after gen is gone.

A lot of interesting information here.

The increasing number of women playing video games on the Playstation platform is a factor I didn't really consider. Could see some growth in the Playstation ecosystem just from that. The most interesting thing about this IR is Sony looking to expand their presence in the Chinese market, expecting the PS5 to at least double the sales of the PS4. According to ZHuge, the Playstation launch conference had 35 Million viewers in China, with the allotment of launch units being high, and pre orders selling out immediately. With how big a role he played in turning Europe into Sonyland, Jim Ryan is the right man for the job, if Sony wants to expand the Playstation brand in untapped markets.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Good growth on several areas... although I don`t like the increased investment on GAAS and are looking at their more PC releases to see if they will keep only putting gen old titles or will put current gen, if they do I`ll go PC only.

I don't think we'll see day and date releases for PS5 exclusives anytime soon. Sony makes billions from their closed garden ecosystem. Day and date PS5 exclusives releasing on PC doesn't compensate for the loss of hardware sales and all that comes with it. I'm still not convinced that day and date releases on PC would have no impact on PS5 sales, it could be a reason why the Xbox brand can't pick up steam outside of NA/UK, since the territories they struggle in have also shown massive PC growth throughout the last decade. 

PotentHerbs said:
DonFerrari said:

Good growth on several areas... although I don`t like the increased investment on GAAS and are looking at their more PC releases to see if they will keep only putting gen old titles or will put current gen, if they do I`ll go PC only.

I don't think we'll see day and date releases for PS5 exclusives anytime soon. Sony makes billions from their closed garden ecosystem. Day and date PS5 exclusives releasing on PC doesn't compensate for the loss of hardware sales and all that comes with it. I'm still not convinced that day and date releases on PC would have no impact on PS5 sales, it could be a reason why the Xbox brand can't pick up steam outside of NA/UK, since the territories they struggle in have also shown massive PC growth throughout the last decade. 

Also we have to consider the ROI of 250% is because they are only considering the very small cost to port. I doubt the volume of sales in PC will be anywhere close to PS. I would guess 10-20% of the total.

DonFerrari said:

Also we have to consider the ROI of 250% is because they are only considering the very small cost to port. I doubt the volume of sales in PC will be anywhere close to PS. I would guess 10-20% of the total.

Yeah, I didn't really consider the low cost to port lol, it explains the massive ROI.

TruckOSaurus said:

It's interesting that they label PS4's tail-end as the strongest ever. This means that although they are seeing worst post successor hardware sales than PS3 and PS2, everything else that is in place makes up for that unit deficit (higher price of HW, PS+ subscriptions, big games still selling strongly on PS4).

When you can sell over 7 million PS5's at a loss and still have your most profitable year ever, it shows the extent to which services and online sales now dwarf any sort of revenue previous generations could provide. 

48 million subscribers and $8.59 billion in DLC and microtransactions. 

It also shows exactly why MS are putting everything into Gamepass and putting it on everything they can.

zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

They don`t need to drop their PC to buy a PS5, in fact many PC gamers have consoles.

Well in that case this is not going to make much of a difference anyways to the ones who also own a console that's not my point. My point being if a PC user had no interest in a PS5 releasing some games on the PC and keeping the sequels to just PS5 wouldnt change that. And if this shows anything with a 250% ROI i dont think Sony will be leaving that money on the table. And lets face it the is only so many games they can port from their backlog to PC before they will be needing to start porting their PS5 games.

Do you think Nintendo might be tempted to go the PC route too? It is just money on the table.