By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Legends: Arceus launches January 28, 2022

Tagged games:

tack50 said:
Pemalite said:

So my first Pokemon game I ever completed was Pokemon Blue. - I would have sunk hundreds of hours into that as a kid on the Gameboy.

The next Pokemon game I ever completed was Sword. - And I honestly couldn't wait for it to be over.

The worst part was that Sword and Shield brought absolutely *nothing* new to the story, it's the same recycled scenarios. It was boring.
Visually the game looked like trash and didn't belong on the Switch as a AAA priced release... And it's hand-holding linear paths that sometimes "pretended" to be open world didn't do it any favors either.

Not sure if I will pick up Arceus considering the minimal changes from Pokemon Blue (1996) to Pokemon Sword (2019) from a story and gameplay perspective... Guess I will wait on reviews and hope they put some effort into it.

I am probably being a little critical on the franchise, but that is only because I want it to be better and I know it can be better. - I did enjoy Pokemon Snap! recently.

I haven't played Sword and Shield admittedly, but Pokemon isn't the kind of game you play for the story in the first place (even if SwSh is probably subpar on that department even by Pokemon standards). The only Pokemon games I remember having a good story are the Gen 5 games.

When Pokemon Blue and Red came out it was a good and unique story and had memorable characters (Ash, Team Rocket etc'). I just didn't exactly expect that story premise to be recycled 20~ years later.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

When Pokemon Blue and Red came out it was a good and unique story and had memorable characters (Ash, Team Rocket etc'). I just didn't exactly expect that story premise to be recycled 20~ years later.

Ash has nothing to do with Red and Blue he's just a character made up for the anime the player in RBG is known as Red, the original games barely even had a story TR were just a band of goons in them. It's actually Gen 5 as he said where the games began to have a semblance of a story before that you were just someone trying to be the champion with a rival and whatever trouble makers were in the way. 

Darwinianevolution said:

I'm pretty sure the roaming pokemon wasn't a thing they added because of the fans, but because they already had it from Let's Go. Whether it was ready or not by the time of the first trailer, I have no idea. And about the graphics, Sun and Moon had a decent amount of slowdown in certain areas (especially in double-triple battles). That continued in Sword Shield, plus added some more issues, even though the Switch is vastly more powerful than the 3DS. Also, the 2D sprites allowed for environments more complex and detailed, plus they give you an easier time to suspend your disbelief (Pallet town is three houses, that's fine on a 2D environment, but a town with 3 houses in a free roaming 3D game is harder to swallow). The most developed a town has looked in the 3D games is Lumiose City, back on X/Y.

Junichi Masuda and Shigeru Ohmori literally said they included it due to the popularity of the concept in Pokemon Let's Go. I.e. it wasn't carried over, it was because of fan reception of the concept. They weren't intending to include it at all. 

In terms of gameplay, will this be similar to Sword & Shield, or will it be something like Pokemon Snap?