By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 18, 2021 - (Apr 26 - May 2)

PotentHerbs said:
tbone51 said:

The whole arguement of ps5 is weird. I know there are a lot of theories out there and I’m one of them that believe scalpers and/or people are buying for outside the region.

Anyway here is what I have to post...

+Miles at 46k was the best selling ps5 game in japan (as of March)
+ PS5 non-DE - 485,476 vs PS5 software sales - 179,650
Tie-ratio - 0.37
+Returnal was the best selling game on psn in apr with 1 day of sales
+Returnal being nice had 6k of digital sales which means every other was below that for a month
+RE8, it’s biggest game and debut can be anywhere between 25k-60k
+PS4 games aren’t even charting to justify ps5 sales

Returnal wasn't the best selling game on PSN in April for NA/Europe, not sure where you're getting a 6K worldwide figure for PSN, but that's a laughable lowball. Do you think Sony is lying to their investors in their financial reports? 

He didn't say worldwide.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
PotentHerbs said:

Returnal wasn't the best selling game on PSN in April for NA/Europe, not sure where you're getting a 6K worldwide figure for PSN, but that's a laughable lowball. Do you think Sony is lying to their investors in their financial reports? 

He didn't say worldwide.

Do we have Returnal's physical sales for Japan? 

PotentHerbs said:
Kakadu18 said:

He didn't say worldwide.

Yes, in the first post of this thread.

Kakadu18 said:
PotentHerbs said:

So why is 6K digital being nice for Returnal? Do some Nintendo fans really think PS5 digital cut is below their retail cut? Even if its a modest 55/45 split in favor of digital games?

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
Shiken said:

Can you prove that scalpers are not a factor, or are we cherry picking narratives?

Fact is that ebay is loaded with scalped consoles, likely from every market.  Throw in that the PS5 is not region locked, and there is no reason to assume it is not happening there as well.  Scalpers do not care about where their bots buy them up, even if purchased out of country.  All they care about is artificially inflating demand so they can drive their prices up for as long as possible.

I never said they weren't a problem, you however, insinuated a large chunk of PS5's being bought were by scalpers, yet you can't even prove 5% of them are being scalped? 

When the average consumer cannot find one for themselves no matter how hard they try, due to scalper bots buying them up in seconds...a large chunk is pretty common sense.  It would take quite a bit of wilful ignorance or mental gymnastics to try to claim otherwise.

I don't know if you have tried during one of these restocks, but I have.  With an extremely solid and fast wired connection, both the Series consoles and PS5 are sold out before I can press "add to cart" and "confirm" with my card info already entered...and that is IF they don't crash the entire site.  But why would you believe my first hand experience with the problem (as well as literally everyone I know), as it doesn't fit the narrative you want to spin to take a jab at Nintendo fans that "don't want to admit" your own baseless claims based on speculation.

The media is not blowing up hard bad the scalping it, it is every bit as bad as reported.  The claims are all over the internet from people who cannot seem to obtain one duento scalper bots.  I know someone who has been trying to get a PS5 since launch, but only just recently managed to get one due to the scalping.  Sure they are plastered all over ebay at often more than double the price, but (and not to offend anyone that may have) buying from a scalper only helps justify their inflated demand tactics so they can sell you a console that is weaker than a PC you could build for the same price.

So based on the factual evidence that scalpers and bots are running rampant and buying up stock, you would have to be desperate to try and make a point on the situation at Japan MAYBE being different.  Because you and I both know that isn't how it works.

Last edited by Shiken - on 12 May 2021

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

800k boxed games vs 178k boxed games.

Not good at all. 

The funny thing is, the only Nintendo fan that gave me an actual source about digital sales in Japan, essentially confirmed digital sales were growing lol. No one else bothered, or can actually prove that the digital cut in Japan is lower than retail, all I'm getting is a bunch of Nintendo fans arguing with official Sony information.

PotentHerbs said:

The funny thing is, the only Nintendo fan that gave me an actual source about digital sales in Japan, essentially confirmed digital sales were growing lol. No one else bothered, or can actually prove that the digital cut in Japan is lower than retail, all I'm getting is a bunch of Nintendo fans arguing with official Sony information.

reflect the question and go another way not make your argument valid. 

The physical sales are freaking low, and with the make-belief digital numbers in Japan ( historically strong on physical sales, more than other country we know), with this and yet are a bad software perfomance. 

So, you have two problems here.

When you compare only physical sales, its a disaster. Ps4 have 800k when ps5 have 180k.

When you add the digital revolutionary sales you yet have a disaster, 800k ps4 boxed sale vs <520 k for Ps5

Imagine add the digital sales for Ps4.

Last edited by Agente42 - on 12 May 2021

PotentHerbs said:
Kakadu18 said:

So why is 6K digital being nice for Returnal? Do some Nintendo fans really think PS5 digital cut is below their retail cut? Even if its a modest 55/45 split in favor of digital games?

Who tf knows, I'm just annoyed that you constantly put words in peoples mouths and according to you everyone who disagrees with you does so because they're Nintendo fans.

Do you think there is a console war going on here or what?

Also, is that 80% digital split only for the PS5 or for both PS4 and PS5 and do we have regional specific numbers? I want to know that since I just found a VGC article from two weeks ago where it said on PS4 and PS5 65% of sold games in the last fiscal year where digital, not 80%. So I want to know where that 80% came from.