By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Captain America has a shield but not a gun.

Are guns unnecessary for superheroes?

Around the Network

Americans very much like guns (they also love fps), I wonder if america's symbolically heroes don't have guns.

I'm pretty sure Captain America has used guns frequently. He was a soldier after all.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Captain America can throw the shield and it magnetises back to him. Guns aren't usually seen as heroic devices, at least not for the more orthodox superheroes. It's usually the anti-heroes like Punisher, Deadpool, Deadshot, Red Hood etc. that will feature them.

I knew the Punisher in a Capcom game.

yep, surely they're like antiheroes.

Around the Network

Thats why we call it fiction.

Actually, as a coincidence, I just started watching 'The Boys' for the first time. If you wanted to see a more literal and unidealised view of what superheroes would be like in a modern America, it's probably worth a watch. Still no guns so far though.

The idea is that you don't need guns if you're pure-hearted and heroic.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

The idea is that you don't need guns if you're pure-hearted and heroic.

And not a pussy.  Although wearing spandex makes me think otherwise.

Ka-pi96 said:

Yeah, guns aren't necessary for superheroes. There's a reason they need superheroes to save the day, because somebody with a gun simply wouldn't be able to. Plus being super strong, fast etc. wouldn't actually make the gun any more effective, if it wouldn't work for a random schmoe then it also wouldn't work for the superhero. A super-strength punch however, might.

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually illegal to show guns in the original comics. Americans can be funny about that kind of stuff in content aimed at children. That's also why they censored out guns in the American version of the Pokemon anime.

It would be more interesting if a superhero had a supergun.

It doesn't matter much, but I was disappointed that the Halo's Master Chief had the same gun as the common soldier's.