By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 8 Review Thread- 84 MC, 84 OC

Jpcc86 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Main complaints I'm reading from critics seem to be:

• Too much action, not enough horror, critics comparing it to Res 5 and 6 in that regard
  • Batshit crazy storyline, some critics saying it is the 2nd craziest storyline in the series after Res 6. Several saying it is filled with plot holes and completely ruins the more grounded reboot of the Res franchise in 7 by heading back into the absurdity that Res 5 and 6 had descended into
  • Lots of Ethan hate. Some don't like his dialogue and the voice actor's line delivery, some didn't like the character himself
  • Poor final 3rd of the game
  • Some frustrating boss fights
  • Some annoying side characters

Those sound like pretty big negatives for the game to have a 84 mc score tbh. 

Batshit crazy story and "too much action" honestly dehype me. I was hoping this'll be closer to RE7 than to RE 5-6, but if thats not the case ehhh I might put this one on hold. 

The part that's a bit of a red flag to me is the RPG elements. RPG elements being done well in a non-RPG game is rare. 

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

The part that's a bit of a red flag to me is the RPG elements. RPG elements being done well in a non-RPG game is rare. 

I've been trying to read what exactly are those "RPG elements". I'd assume its some sort skill base system. 

Most critics are praising the gameplay, so I suppose they're not a bad addition. 

Looks like a solid RE. Still can't help but feel a little bit disappointed at the criticisms as I'm almost done with RE:7; and loving the game. 7 went back back to roots survival and horror elements and the new one is catering for more action and less horror. Which for me is a let-down ngl.

Still, as long as it plays well and story isn't bad I'm still really looking forward to release, come Friday.

Last edited by hinch - on 05 May 2021

shikamaru317 said:

Most common positives I'm reading from critics seem to be:

• Positive comparisons to Res 4
  • The villains, both side and main. People particularly like the Dimitrescu Vampires.
  • The art design, more open world design, and Eastern European setting are praised by many, even on the lower reviews
  • Memorable set pieces
  • Good atmospheric sound design
  • Good soundtrack
  • The return of Mercenaries mode
  • Rewarding exploration
  • Good graphics

Most common negatives I'm reading from critics seem to be:

• Too much action, not enough horror, several critics comparing it to Res 5 and 6 in that regard
  • Batshit crazy storyline, some critics saying it is the 2nd craziest storyline in the series after Res 6. Some critics saying it is filled with plot holes and completely ruins the more grounded reboot of the Res franchise in 7 by heading back into the absurdity that Res 5 and 6 had descended into
  • A good bit of Ethan hate. Some don't like his dialogue and the voice actor's line delivery, some didn't like the character himself (though most agree he is better fleshed out than in 7)
  • Poor final third of the game, many saying it feels rushed
  • Some frustrating boss fights
  • Some annoying side characters
  • Ethan feels slow and sluggish compared to the faster enemies in the game like the Lycans, and the speed upgrades you can craft barely improve his speed
  • Some critics say the puzzles and boss fights are too easy
  • No VR support, which was a major feature on 7

Return of Mercenaries! That's good news! I loved that mode in Resident Evil 4 and 5.

Signature goes here!

Sad. I was expecting somewhere between 90 and 85.

Around the Network

Not bad. I'm looking forward to playing it.

8 always looked like FP RE's 4 compared to 7's 1-3, if that makes sense, and from what I'm hearing that's not far off the mark. Sounds good to me. I'm halfway through 7 atm and quite enjoying it, though I wouldn't mind a version that's more action and less horror.

Argh, bring back 3rd person cameras, please :S

Amazed this has reviewed so well, its basically returned to 5/6 style, baffled after the great RE2 remake and 7? Looks like im in the minority though.