By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nier Replicant ver 1.22 474487139

I am playing it, and really enjoying it. Cannot comment on the soundtrack other than it sounds great to me, having not played the original game. So as far as a comparison goes, I have nothing to add.

Still have not gotten to the point where stuff appearently gets crazy at about 6-7 hours in so far, but when that happens I have a feeling I will go from just enjoying it to completely absorbed in dissecting the plot at every angle.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Playing right now. I played original on 360 last year, so the impression is still fresh to me. It's definitely a more polished version of the game gameplay-wise, but in the end it's still the same game which is a plus in my opinion. Original Nier is one off my favourite games of all time.

THE COMBAT IS SO FUCKING AWESOME! Ok yeah not quite as slick as Automata but having played the first on 360. I have so many weapons and switching between them on the fly like many stylish action games. It's orgasmic when you can get it all working continuously. At 92% side quests but think I missed a couple. Sadly one of them is in part 1. So no 100% for me. I could take on the dark lord right now but I have to wait for flowers to grow and die. UGH.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Should I play this or Automata first? 

Bought it and have only played it for like an hour. It doesn't have that punch that hooked me into Automata within the first 5 minutes but I'll keep going at it. Combat doesn't seem as polish as Automata but I appreciate the similarity. I must say tho that nothing has made me be as engaged in a game like Automata where I spent 90 plus hours of my life. Also, I miss 2B :(.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

You should play this first.

IcaroRibeiro said:

YES!!!!

Hynad said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

You should play this first.

Ok I was planning to get Automata as it's on sale on PS Store and I will wait to take Replicant with a discount somewhere in future. Too much backlog already and few time to play, no rush to buy it I guess 

IcaroRibeiro said:

Canonically it doesn't matter. Both are pretty self-contained. NA makes some references to Nier but nothing you need to know. That said seeing how NA is such an upgrade to Nier. I'd start with Nier first then see the difference and be pleasantly surprised rather than feel a step-down. Replicant did change the combat for the better tho. So when you got to NA it would feel pretty familiar.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

IcaroRibeiro said:

Each game is kind of making its own point, so I don't think playing Automata first would hurt the experience as a whole.  I played Automata first, and as I play Replicant there are a few "AH HA" moments I will not get into.

However if you have the choice, I would say play Replicant first.  Automata kind of spoils a big plot twist in subtle ways, and the impact of those plot elements happen can be lowered as a result.  Playing Replicant first will allow you to experience them in full effect, and Automata will probably hit harder as a result as well.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261