By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ghostbusters (1984 game) sold more than 2 million copies in the UK between 1984 and 1989

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Also, I'm fairly sure this 2M number is more like the install base than actual sales numbers. Because had it sold that well, it would have been much more widely known.

Also FYI: The game released on Amstrad CPC, Atari 8bit, Sega Master System, NES, Apple ][, ZX Spectrum, C64, Atari 2600 and Tandy 1000 (incompatible with later models). While they all combined got a respectable install base in the UK, it would still mean an install base close to what Nintendo is managing right now with their top-tier titles. And that doesn't really sound right or even plausible to me.

I don't really know, because I don't know total sales in the UK for most games.  However, it doesn't sound too unreasonable.  FIFA sold over 2m last year in the UK.  GTA5 sold 1.1m last year in the UK and it's a very old game at this point.  So, 2m in the UK across all platforms doesn't sound too unreasonable.
https://www.kitguru.net/tech-news/mustafa-mahmoud/2020s-top-10-best-selling-games-in-the-uk-revealed/

It doesn't sound too unreasonable until you take several things into account:

1. The install base of thePS4+XBO is about as high as all those computers and consoles combined.
  2. Marketing was much weaker and the game didn't have decades to build a following like Fifa.
  3. Pirating games was widespread, so much that for many games only one in 10 copies were actually paid for on some computers.
  4. Back in the day, selling over 100k copies was considered a smash hit. For instance, a computer smash hit like The Secret Of Monkey Island sold about 300k on a worldwide scale across all platforms.
  5. Another comparison: WarCraft 2 managed to sell over 2M within 5 years (1993-1998), but again that was worldwide, not a single country alone. And that game got really hyped a lot back in the day and because CD-ROM drives that could burn CD's were very expensive at the time of release of the game, the amount of pirated copies for this game was very low before 1996.

Selling 2M in a single country was practically unheard of and the only instances at the time that managed this feat were Super Mario Bros and The Legend Of Zelda. Both were on consoles which were hard to bypass the copy protection on. But for Ghostbusters, most of the sales must have happened on computers with very low copy protection.

With all that in mind, I find the 2M claim really doubtful. It did sell well, and topped the charts in the UK for 3 months straight,  but 2M sold? Nope! Even if we were to add in the pirated copies, I find 2M to be a bit of a stretch.

Around the Network

Even re-released as part of a compilation 2m sounds a lot.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!