By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Embracer Group (Parent Company of THQ Nordic, Saber, Koch, etc) merges with Gearbox & Easybrain, also acquires Aspyr Media

Embracer Group merges with Gearbox & Easybrain

Gearbox :

https://embracer.com/release/embracer-group-merges-with-the-gearbox-entertainment-company-and-form-a-seventh-operating-group/

Easybrain :

https://embracer.com/release/embracer-group-to-merge-with-easybrain-forming-eighth-operating-group/

also acquires Aspyr Media

https://embracer.com/release/embracer-group-acquires-aspyr-media/

Around the Network

I might get accused of Tinfoil hatting, but i have this to say

Having 68 studio’s at their grasp (and way more to come), pretty much owning the AA space and now moving on to AAA Studio Acquisitions, and mostly by loans/debt nonetheless is very suspicious to me

I have a huge (bad) feeling that they’re a Proxy game industry acquisition group working for a Trillion dollar company (Apple, Amazon, Google, or god forbid tencent) and at the end to be gobbled by one of them as a whole package of Studios/IP’s for billions of dollars to support their cloud/subscription platform with content (Apple arcade/Amazon Luna/Stadia) instead of one of the big 4 buying 1 or 2 publishers and risk having bad publicity in short term (like Microsoft with consolidation accusations), or worse by starting your own studio’s from scratch and end up like Stadia/Amazon internal studios

Mark my words, a Huge trillion dollar company is behind all of this

Last edited by B6a6es - on 03 February 2021

dx11332sega said:

Wow, everybody buying everybody, sony gotta act quick or tencent might get someone we don't want them to acquire . sony please save squaree enix leave other asian devs for someone else the longer it waits tencent might strike . I'd ignore sega since they bleeding and arcades were lost. square is healthy

Ah yes have Sony gobble up franchises to never release on any platform but their own. I'd prefer Microsoft get it so at least it sees other platforms. Sony owning most major studios would just be bad for gaming as a whole.

The embracer stock went up 13,5% after this annoucement as off this post

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

dx11332sega said:

This gonna be weird , I hope Microsoft gets Sega , I didn't want nobody getting them but it's acquisition season everybody swallowing others ,I have no faith in nooone helping on shenmue 4 especially sony making them kick start instead of funding, EA would shut Sega down, Amazon unproven might pull a stadia on Sega, nintendo was a huge rival back then I loved the Sega does what nintendon't, And embracer group I don't want them, This hurts me everybody in buying season many years.

If Sega is looking to sell.... maybe start with Atlus, and give Sony (or nintendo) a shot?

Atlus is legit the best part of sega these days, and its strengths, is in game types that dont appeal to most american xbox users.
(how well would SMT & Persona sell on xbox? not well I think, and its their main strength, games like that)

MS can have the rest, old sega IP's basically arnt worth much these days.
MS could spit out of bunch of low quality budget, Sega IP games for gamepass with it.

Around the Network
B6a6es said:

I might get accused to Tinfoil hatting, but i have this to say

Having 68 studio’s at their grasp (and way more to come), pretty much owning the AA space and now moving on to AAA Studio Acquisitions, and mostly by loans/debt nonetheless is very suspicious to me

I have a huge (bad) feeling that they’re a Proxy game industry acquisition group working for a Trillion dollar company (Apple, Amazon, Google, or god forbid tencent) and at the end to be gobbled by one of them as a whole package of Studios/IP’s for billions of dollars to support their cloud/subscription platform with content (Apple arcade/Amazon Luna/Stadia) instead of one of the big 4 buying 1 or 2 publishers and risk having bad publicity in short term (like Microsoft with consolidation accusations), or worse by starting your own studio’s from scratch and end up like Stadia/Amazon internal studios

Honestly doesnt sound that far fetched.

Gross.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

B6a6es said:

I might get accused of Tinfoil hatting, but i have this to say

This may be possible. A bigger company in the background may be the one who is giving this venture a lot of leverage to borrow such amounts.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

errorpwns said:
dx11332sega said:

Wow, everybody buying everybody, sony gotta act quick or tencent might get someone we don't want them to acquire . sony please save squaree enix leave other asian devs for someone else the longer it waits tencent might strike . I'd ignore sega since they bleeding and arcades were lost. square is healthy

Ah yes have Sony gobble up franchises to never release on any platform but their own. I'd prefer Microsoft get it so at least it sees other platforms. Sony owning most major studios would just be bad for gaming as a whole.

Ah yes, have Microsoft gobble up franchises so they control more of the gaming industry. Better to have a few more games exclusive to a PS platform for a longer period of time, if not indefinitely, than have Microsoft in a position where they own even more than they do. If their foothold were stronger, maybe the always online DRM reality we've all dreamed of would be a decade long industry standard, or twice as much for gated online MP would have already been the norm, and we could all be happy with our ability to play a few more games on PC....

Microsoft has a much more illustrious history of scummy moves, both in general, and in the games industry, than Sony does. Sony has made mistakes, been incompetent, and made what I feel have been some bad decisions in recent times. But that's still better than actively, purposefully, attempting to maneuver the industry in terrible directions. Famously terrible directions. To say nothing of the larger sins they have perpetrated outside of gaming. Against competitors, customers, their own employees, and legitimately, society in general. Microsoft owning most major studios is bad for gaming.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Why would you keep Randy Dickford on board then?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!