By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Medium - Review Thread - Metacritic 72

Tagged games:

Based on 59 reviews the current Meta is on 72 (32 green, 24 yellow, 3 red).

This was a game I was quite interested when revealed so let's see if even with low score it is really a good game.

Jan 27, 2021
The Medium never hits a flat note. I beat the game in two long sittings, and there was never a point during either that I felt like the game dragged, or could’ve used a little more polish, or left too many loose ends hanging. It’s a lean, compelling experience that says what it has to say, then leaves you to grapple with the specifics afterwards. There are images, lines, and ideas from The Medium that I’ll likely take to my grave thanks to this approach, as it puts the onus on the player to piece everything together. You have to wrap your brain around the spirit world’s twisted logic so much that it becomes a part of you, as you live through Marianne’s pain with her and help to navigate her trauma. Much like Marianne’s past, don’t expect The Medium to leave your head any time soon.
Jan 27, 2021
The Medium will not be the best psychological horror game in the world, but it engages like few others. Bloober Team once again raises a bar that dropped somewhat after Blair Witch and presents us at times two games in one, with quite effective mechanics despite its simplicity. A great gift for Xbox Game Pass subscribers who will enjoy it from day one.
Jan 27, 2021
With creepy puzzle moments throughout, The Medium pulls off a dual-reality puzzler with precision. The game looks magnificent, with impressive lighting and shadows courtesy of RTX, though the Xbox Series X version suffers from occasional stutters and hitches, as well as level of detail pops. More classic dread than jump scares, it delivers on its promise of horror served two ways, making it unique and a must-have for horror fans, even if it's a little lighter fare.
Jan 27, 2021
Because of its macabre nature, The Medium won’t be for everyone — and certainly isn’t a killer Xbox app — but it’s definitely worth a try if you’re an Xbox Game Pass subscriber.
Jan 27, 2021
The Bloober Team delivers a psychological and supernatural thriller with multiple controlled influences, and a story that is both dark and touching. The Medium is an artistic work in its own right, both visual and musical, whose universe deserves to be explored. The Polish studio also manage to take advantage of this playful duality between the physical and spiritual planes without necessarily innovating too much during a linear adventure. The threat weighing on Marianne, as intense as it may be at times, loses too often in intensity to permanently mark the players. The Medium is ultimately an “arty” horrific experience like the developers' previous productions.
Jan 27, 2021
Buried underneath the messy narrative and the mundane gameplay, there's a good game in here, somewhere. But for the most part, The Medium is a game that I'm very happy to put behind me and never think about again. For any fans of horror, I would firmly recommend you give this game a miss.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Once more the west proves they cannot make a Silent Hill game. Even without the brand name to start fresh.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Not gonna lie, expected more than that from this one. Around high-70s to low 80s

About in line with realistic predictions. Anything above 70 is at least a good game, albeit flawed. For a AA third party timed game, it’s a great game to knock out on Game Pass. Will def play it once I get a Series X.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Seems pretty in-line with most of their games in the 60s-70s range. I predicted a lil too high at 79.

Here's the xbox meta thread if anyone wants to join

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/244154/xbox-2021-1st-party-and-exclusives-metacritic-prediction-league/1/

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:

Not gonna lie, expected more than that from this one. Around high-70s to low 80s

The fact that their 14 minute gameplay demo that was supposed to show the best parts of the game to impress people included the MC constantly talking to herself in a humorous tone (basically the antithesis of horror), and an invisible monster with a dumb-as-shit vocal performance trying to find you, and the two-worlds-simultaneously concept not even being properly utilized in gameplay (all the important parts of that demo were executed in one world specifically, so what's the point?) set off huge red flags to me. I didn't expect this to be that good, just decent at best. 

A preview of the IGN review literally said "I wouldn't call it puzzle solving - but there is something to be solved" in relation to the gameplay you do throughout a lot of the game. When you can't even call solving puzzles puzzle solving because it's that easy and barebones, that's a problem. And IGN gave the game an 8, they were one of positive reviews. 

It's sad cause the idea of a fixed camera horror game that has simultaneous gameplay between two worlds is pretty interesting (though I love the former part of that concept a lot more than the latter; which just seems inherently much harder to justify). 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

The fact that their 14 minute gameplay demo that was supposed to show the best parts of the game to impress people included the MC constantly talking to herself in a humorous tone (basically the antithesis of horror), and an invisible monster with a dumb-as-shit vocal performance trying to find you, and the two-worlds-simultaneously concept not even being properly utilized in gameplay (all the important parts of that demo were executed in one world specifically, so what's the point?) set off huge red flags to me. I didn't expect this to be that good, just decent at best. 

A preview of the IGN review literally said "I wouldn't call it puzzle solving - but there is something to be solved" in relation to the gameplay you do throughout a lot of the game. When you can't even call solving puzzles puzzle solving because it's that easy and barebones, that's a problem. And IGN gave the game an 8, they were one of positive reviews. 

It's sad cause the idea of a fixed camera horror game that has simultaneous gameplay between two worlds is pretty interesting (though I love the former part of that concept a lot more than the latter; which just seems inherently much harder to justify). 

Well, I was judging by the initial trailers as I haven't followed the game after first couple of trailers and haven't seen the 14-minute gameplay posted earlier this month. Yet another proof that trailers are quite misleading when it comes to the real gameplay.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

It is problematic when a game that is short and say equates almost two games because of the gameplay but both gameplay modes are underwhelming.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Cant say I'm suprised. Although its good at what it is. I'm not a fan of this types of games, but I could stomach at least quicktime events that mke you have some sort of input and consequences. As far as I seen in some reviews, evenntye little actions you can make are so easy that it might as well not even be there.

I'm sure theres plenty of people that will find this acceptable. Nit gona win any awards but should scratch that itch fornhorror some fans have. But for thouse who don't cling to that type of game this will not pick anyones interest.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

the laughing girl in horrorgames makes me wanna ditch it

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.