By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Future Of Nintendo Handhelds

^I'm having the impression that WoW is teasing you....

As for the topic, I personally don't see any innovations as groundbreaking as this generation. I think there are only going to be general improvements from the DS.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Around the Network
Soriku said:
thekitchensink said:
-Graphical capabilities about 2x as powerful as the current PSP (Since the next PSP will likely be 10x as powerful)
-Tilt sensors (this is NOT a copy from Apple)
-Dual touch screens which can have multiple touch points
-Hard drive for storing downloadable stuff.
-Likely some form of miniDisc (GameCube disc 2.0?)

Since the PSP pretty much equals the PS2 in power, are you saying a new PSP will be 10x as powerful as the PS2? The Wii isn't even 10x as powerful as the PS2 lol and I doubt a PSP2 would be that powerful. It'd have like...near HD graphics :P

yeah - the PSP2 wil be nowhere near the power of a PS3

OT: I expect 2 touch screens + a little motion sensing (cause it's kinda hard to implement into a handheld) 

I like what the GB did with tilt and tumble, when you move the system, it moved kirby.

Untouch said:
I like what the GB did with tilt and tumble, when you move the system, it moved kirby.

yeah but was that the only game that utilized that?

I actually can see Nintendo using Wii type stuff on the DS2 like motion control. Nintendo got the idea for using a unique control scheme for the Wii from their success on the DS. However, i still see Nintendo as using Cartridges in the new system for 2 reasons. 1.) Piracy, cuz we all know how N is freaked about that. 2.) The power consumed by a motor drains batteries like nothing else, and carts don't need to spin.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Around the Network

Yeah I agree with Nickelbackro, I think Nintendo will stick with cartridges. Probably even smaller than the DS ones, too. :p

And I honestly can't see them implementing Wii-like motion sensing. Not that they couldn't do it technically (I'm confident they easily could), but because it wouldn't be practical for a handheld, simple as that. You need to see what's happening on the screen(s), which would be impossible if you were to waggle, wave and shake the system around all the time. Tilting however would be easily done, and I'd be very surprised if that wasn't implemented in Nintendo's next handheld, whatever it may turn out to be.
Furthermore, the thing'll likely have 2 screens again, if only to ensure DS B-compatibility. Then, like some people stated above, improved touch screen, possibly both touch-sensitive, yes, and with multiple touch points.

And I fully expect Nintendo to include some form of Wii Channels-like interface, with simple, easy to navigate menus and improved stuff like a Virtual Console (ever wondered why there are no handheld games available on Wii's VC..?), internet browser, Mii-like avatars and News/Weather etc.

And of course a graphical boost, something better than PSP's currently doing, but nowhere near the current HD consoles.
Finally, there are bound to be some very unexpected and interesting surprises concerning the features on their new handheld, but I couldn't begin to imagine what those might be.. :p

It's Nintendo we're talking about, so hey, we'll see!

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

The new handheld wont be a massive jump in graphics. It'll be more powerful for sure but take a look at nintendo's philosophy, it'll be better but not a massive jump. One of the reasons beyond the ds selling massive amounts is that its cheap to develop for, Nintendo wont be removing that advantage. Also I don't think it'll have too many multi-media capabilities. I think it'll definitely be a gaming machine, with any of the multi-media functions being add-ons or something. I suspect that I'll just have more touch screen functionality, maybe some form of motion control or something and it'll be backwards compatible with the DS, thus I think it'll have two screen as-well.

dsoverpsp said:
Untouch said:

yeah but was that the only game that utilized that?

As I know of :/

Really I just expect Ninty to improve on the controls and graphics. Oh and there next handheld is going to be abl to fit i n your palm with the screen taking up 99.9% of the handheld.

nippa

The DS2.0:

Both/better touch screens
Better mic
Longer battery life
GCN lvl graphics
Built in rumble
Built in motion sensing for movement more than tilt control
Wifi and Bluetooth farther range and faster interface
Backwords compatibility with DS games
Remains cartrige based but with sizes up to 16GB on each(its possible on SD cards)
Loses GBA functions
Screens get even brighter (yes it is possible)

Hoping:
That you get to purchase games online through some store and put the info on a blank cartrige for sale, that u download the game on it, similar to soring your virtual console and wiiware games on ur sd cards but able to play from that card, will make DS MMOs possible =)

"Like you know"