By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When a company's release schedule says "Q4" when does that mean?

The fourth quarter of the calendar year (October-December) or the Financial Year? (January-March)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 January 2021

Around the Network

Good question.

It be easier to follow universally if it was calendar year as different countries have different financial years

Calendar year

It means its gonna be delayed.

I want to think when they make a press release for the public, it means the final months of the year. When speaking to anyone involved with the company, executives, shareholders, and other employees, it must mean financial year, and maybe only sometimes.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Calander year. 10-12 that calendar year.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

For context, I'm wondering about the recent Capcom leak which apparently has a new Resident Evil game for Switch scheduled for Q4 2021, wasn't sure if that meant end of this year or early next year.

Depends. Microsoft normally means fiscal year, for example, but most companies refer to the calendar year.

Unless they choose to be ambiguous, they should write "Q4 n" if they mean n calendar year or "Q4 FYn" if they mean n financial year.
Obviously nothing can be safely assumed if we're talking about MS PR.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Ka-pi96 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Unless they choose to be ambiguous, they should write "Q4 n" if they mean n calendar year or "Q4 FYn" if they mean n fiscal year.
Obviously nothing can be safely assumed if we're talking about MS PR.

I'd say that's awfully abiguous too. What's with the random "n"?

It could be any year! For example for Ninty it could be 5000 BC, when Urgh Yamauchi sold his first game made with wooden sticks and stone balls for 10000 clams and with those earning, plus the earnings of his first love hut he founded Neolithictendo.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!