By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Steam's GOTY Winners

Tagged games:

Steam has announced their community voted GOTY awards.

For those who care about these awards, here is the list is below.

GAME OF THE YEAR - Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)

VR GAME OF THE YEAR - Half Life: Alyx (Valve)

LABOR OF LOVE - Counter-Strike Global Offensive (Valve/Hidden Path Entertainment)

BETTER WITH FRIENDS - Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout (Mediatonic)

MOST INNOVATIVE GAMEPLAY - Death Stranding (Kojima Productions)

OUTSTANDING STORY-RICH GAME - Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar

BEST GAME YOU SUCK AT - Apex Legends (Respawn)

OUTSTANDING VISUAL STYLE - Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Xbox/Moon Studios)

BEST SOUNDTRACK - Doom Eternal (ID Software)

SIT BACK AND RELAX - The Sims 4 (EA / Maxis)

Last edited by Azzanation - on 05 January 2021

Around the Network

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Pretty good picks. RDR 2 is deserves the title.

Not sure about CS winning labour of love. Making the game F2P ruined the game all while cashing in on MTX; skins, season passes all while not doing anything with the broken anti-cheat system (VAC) with cheaters running in most games.

Last edited by hinch - on 05 January 2021

Ka-pi96 said:

Red Dead wasn't even a 2020 game. Shouldn't have won!

How is Death Stranding though? Won an award for it's gameplay, but all the pictures/videos of seen just make it look boring. Is it actually ok and worth playing?

Definetly not for everyone but I found it immersive, unique and addictive. In fact I've played for about 90h (my 3rd game for hours played this gen, after BOTW and Rocket League).

Although it was a bold move to give it so much weight in the overall gameplay experience I think its "walking machanincs" are definetly something every open world game could take a note from. It's the only game that manages to make interesting a "boring" task (carrying an item from point A to point B).

Also, I have appreciated how they implemented stamina and fatigue.....In fact I would like a similar system to be implemented in an ARPG title like Dark Souls (for example).

Lastly, the way you can build infrastructure to facilitate traversals gives it a sense of great (but slow) progression.

hinch said:

Not sure about CS winning labour of love. Making the game F2P ruined the game all while cashing in on MTX; skins, season passes all while not doing anything with the broken anti-cheat system (VAC) with cheaters running in most games.

I would have said the same for the "Sit back and Relax" award, should have went to Flight Simulator instead of The Sims 4. However since this is a community voting system, you can bet The Sims 4 would have a much larger audience.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
hinch said:

I would have said the same for the "Sit back and Relax" award, should have went to Flight Simulator instead of The Sims 4. However since this is a community voting system, you can bet The Sims 4 would have a much larger audience.

Yeah the Sims 4 winning that category is a bit weird. Sim games are generally the opposite of sit back and relax lol. But yeah Sims 4 has a huge following so thats probably why it won. FS is much more niche and a lot harder to get into.

Idd, community votes and all that :)

Last edited by hinch - on 05 January 2021

Ka-pi96 said:

Red Dead wasn't even a 2020 game. Shouldn't have won!

How is Death Stranding though? Won an award for it's gameplay, but all the pictures/videos of seen just make it look boring. Is it actually ok and worth playing?

It depends how much you like exploration and route finding. It's on odd cross between a survival game and transport tycoon. Except you're the one doing all the transporting. Progression comes from being able to carry more stuff, carry stuff faster, combining shipments, using hubs as distribution centers. It all sounds very boring, but it's addictive to nail those perfect marks on all deliveries. Plus it looks stunning, exploring the snowy mountains is amazing.

Oh, there's also the standard Kojima blah blah and shootie bang bang stuff in between :)

It kept me busy for a long time, both off-line (first) and online. Online is a lot less work though!

Missed this thread completely, but I'm surprised that Deep Rock Galactic didn't win "better with friends" award, because me and other mates have had a blast with it throughout 2020, and it seemed like the better co-op game, while Fall guys was basically a semi team style BR meets Tekshi's castle.

HLA getting VR game was deserved for what the title brought to the table.

Surprised Sims was even allowed, due to how old that game is, and Valve specifically had a rule about old games, yet gave EA's games a pass somehow. RDR2 shouldn't have won, because it was already out during 2019, and should have been excluded from Valve's listing.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

Missed this thread completely, but I'm surprised that Deep Rock Galactic didn't win "better with friends" award, because me and other mates have had a blast with it throughout 2020, and it seemed like the better co-op game, while Fall guys was basically a semi team style BR meets Tekshi's castle.

HLA getting VR game was deserved for what the title brought to the table.

Surprised Sims was even allowed, due to how old that game is, and Valve specifically had a rule about old games, yet gave EA's games a pass somehow. RDR2 shouldn't have won, because it was already out during 2019, and should have been excluded from Valve's listing.

This is why awards don't tell the true story. RDR2 only won the award because more gamers actually played it compared to Valves very own title which again is niche, so how does a niche title win a community voted award? It cant or is very unlikely. Another questionable award was The Sims 4 over MS Flight Simulator? popular vs niche and again popularity wins. Deep Rock Galactic, iv played and enjoyed it to, however Fall Guys had more who have played it, so it again comes down to quantity over quality. In the end, It is what it is. Quality games will still be quality games regardless if it has awards hanging from its neck.