By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry - NBA 2K face-off

Azzanation said:

Mean while on Switch, Alien Isolation plays better than both PS4 and XB1 versions.

It all comes down to optimization

I'ts important, lets keep it at that.

I would like to see comparisons from better publishers to be honest.(will also be great to see how the first party games differ)

Around the Network

Damn closest comparison yet. Makes you wonder what these machines will be capable of even a year from now.

Even if this was 69k 420fps, still wouldn't play it.

The results we getting in these comparisons are consistent. Usually very close in RTX performance and in gaming performance PS5 is slightly ahead.

And the reason for these is pretty obvious I think, Microsoft has given us their ipc number twice now (25%).

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15994/hot-chips-2020-live-blog-microsoft-xbox-series-x-system-architecture-600pm-pt
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-xbox-series-s-big-interview

The problem is the number don't align what AMD has told us, RDNA1 has 25% ipc gain over Polaris, RDNA2 has 21% ipc gain over RDNA1. This perfectly explains why PS5 is winning in these comparisons. PS5 has 21% ipc gain over XsX (this is my speculation).

The mystery we don't know yet is if PS5 has unified L3 cache for the CPU and is there a small amount of infinity cache for the gpu to handle memory bandwidth issues?

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 05 December 2020

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

SvennoJ said:
yvanjean said:

Where are all the whiners complaining about Digital Foundry having a bias toward Microsoft.

DonFerrari if you're going to quote Digital Foundry don't butcher what is being said.

DonFerrari version "Seires X has single frame drops plus bigger dips in parametric camera option."
Digital Foundry: "Xbox Series X is a nice perfect 60 fps experience with occasional single frame drops here and there" "Parametric camera will suffer minor frame drop when viewed from a specific angle"

Again great job from Digital Foundry and seem like Xbox Series X still as some minor optimization issues that need to be fix.

Perfect:
- having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be.
- make (something) completely free from faults or defects, or as close to such a condition as possible.

There's your bias :p Calling something perfect when it's not.

Although perhaps they said near perfect, nice perfect sounds rather odd?

Perfect was not my comment it's what John Linneman said during the video followed by the one caveat of single frame drop here and there. 

John Linneman "You get a nice perfect 60 FPS experience with drops to 30 during the cuts" pause "Well mostly perfect at least I did notice occasional single frame drops here and there"

Inconsistent frame rate with occasional frame drop would get noticeable and annoying. I played AC Valhalla for 20 hours on Xbox series X with very noticeable screen tearing that took away from the experience. Had I known that a patch would come less than a  month after release it would have been better to play something else. It's nice to know that NBA 2K21 is near perfect now and no need to wait for a patch on Xbox Series X. 

I am more than happy with ps5 performance even though it is the least powerful.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Mean while on Switch, Alien Isolation plays better than both PS4 and XB1 versions.

It all comes down to optimization. 

And it isn't available physical dammit.