By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How is Nintendo's and Sony's relationship today?

Sony doesnt want nintendo gone, who else will they get their ideas from if nintendo doesnt provide

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
B6a6es said:

Kindly Name them Please.

as far as im aware Monster Hunter World was in Development way before the Switch was even Announced (and was a Multi-plat) and despite being the best selling game the series (Literally Dwarfing all the 3DS main-entries combined) it didnt stop Capcom from Making a Switch Exclusive Entry (or Probably Timed/Console Exclusive with the Recent Capcom Leaks)

as for Newer Main-Series Persona Games, its always been PS Exclusive games mostly due to ATLUS working Condition of Preferring a Single SKU for Their games (Similar to SMT IV-V being Nintendo Exclusives, P5S is Developed by Koei-Tecmo), i mean come-on NIOH 1-2 were Published by SIE (Death Stranding is Owned By SIE) and were still Released to PC unlike Persona 5 or even the recent 13 Sentinels.

PS sales aren't declining in Japan because of a major loss of interest in console gaming, they are declining because people buy Nintendo consoles instead.

Wii, Wii U Says Hi!

Sony's exclusivity deals do not only block games from coming to Xbox. While Sony is fine with third party games being released on the PC, they make it a point to exclude both Xbox and Switch. I am including all the timed exclusivity shenanigans.

while i agree regarding the (Avoiding-Xbox) deals (SFV - Timed Nier Automata & FFVIIR-XVI) i don't recall any of those games (or other similar deals) had anything to do with the switch, for example the Spiderman DLC Exclusive for the Avengers or Timed Exclusive Cold War Zombie DLC wouldn't even affect Switch owners since none of these games are available on the switch in the first place nor is there any plans of porting them (mostly due to Hardware Limitations of the Switch).

while there might be minor competition between the Two (Sony-Nintendo) they’re no longer in bad terms as they were in the Past, and almost all of the Deals Sony Make Nowadays are mostly Towards Xbox, not the Switch.

So once again, kindly provide any examples of Sony Blocking a Game, DLCs , or even Timed Exclusively from the Switch.

I am not sure what point you are trying to make with the Wii and Wii U.

You Implied that Console gaming wasn't declining in Japan but people would rather only buy Nintendo consoles instead, and i simply presented the last 2 non-handleld Nintendo Consoles that either Failed *Wii U* or were slightly Above PS3 in Sales *Wii* (Despite PS3 being a Bulky, way more Expensive Console at the time).

Last edited by B6a6es - on 27 November 2020

kirby007 said:

Sony doesnt want nintendo gone, who else will they get their ideas from if nintendo doesnt provide

absolutely agree, especially after trying the Dualsense on my PS5 (its hard not to think about Joy-Cons HF, even if slightly improved from)

that's why i love competition

Sony's playstation division doesn't believe in good relations they are very aggressive and that have proved that they are really smart, they don't forget any slip that comes out of either competitor, Nintendo has gone through alot of changes through the past years, they are more open on 3rd parties, with Sony giving up on handhelds Japan is won by Nintendo but no one should underestimate Sony theý are always up for a challenge
Most important is that there's respect between the two giants so at least for now it's still peaceful

RolStoppable said:
B6a6es said:

while i agree regarding the (Avoiding-Xbox) deals (SFV - Timed Nier Automata & FFVIIR-XVI) i don't recall any of those games (or other similar deals) had anything to do with the switch, for example the Spiderman DLC Exclusive for the Avengers or Timed Exclusive Cold War Zombie DLC wouldn't even affect Switch owners since none of these games are available on the switch in the first place nor is there any plans of porting them (mostly due to Hardware Limitations of the Switch).

while there might be minor competition between the Two (Sony-Nintendo) they’re no longer in bad terms as they were in the Past, and almost all of the Deals Sony Make Nowadays are mostly Towards Xbox, not the Switch.

So once again, kindly provide any examples of Sony Blocking a Game, DLCs , or even Timed Exclusively from the Switch.

You Implied that Console gaming wasn't declining in Japan but people would rather only buy Nintendo consoles instead, and i simply presented the last 2 non-handleld Nintendo Consoles that either Failed *Wii U* or were slightly Above PS3 in Sales *Wii* (Despite PS3 being a Bulky, way more Expensive Console at the time).

Sounds like too much effort to prove something that you aren't fully contesting yourself, hence why you say "almost all deals" and "mostly towards Xbox, not Switch."

Wii sales of ~12.5m didn't have anything to do with a decline in interest in console gaming, that was because of sparse third party support which in turn hurt momentum. Wii U sales of ~3.5m do not demonstrate a general decline in interest in console gaming either, because the Wii U failed everywhere in the world.

Gen over gen Japan won't show a major decline. It's going to be within a few million.

Gen 8: ~24m (3DS) + ~9.5m (PS4) + ~6m (PSV) + ~3.5m (Wii U) + ~100k (XB1) = ~43m
Gen 9 (projected): 30m+ (Switch) + ~8m (PS5) + ~200k (XSX|S) = 38.2m+

Nintendo's sales going up while Sony's get split roughly in half point to the conclusion that Nintendo is taking away gamers from Sony. Which would hardly be a surprise with a greater number of small Japanese third parties shifting to multiplatform development instead of making their games only for PlayStation.

Lol, you hurting from all that reaching? The man proved you wrong, just admit it. Japan is handheld country. Has been for a few generations, now. No home console has perfomed exceptionally well there since the PS2. And Nintendo happen to be the king of handheld gaming.

Also, the biggest part of why the Wii died is because people were over motion controls 2/3 of the way into the gen and all that was left was a very underpowered machine. The fad got a boost when it came to PS3 and 360, but quickly died after that. It's why Kinect 2.0 failed. Why Labo failed. And as people left the Wii, they either moved away from home console gaming or moved to PS3/360. 

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 28 November 2020

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
RolStoppable said:

Sounds like too much effort to prove something that you aren't fully contesting yourself, hence why you say "almost all deals" and "mostly towards Xbox, not Switch."

Wii sales of ~12.5m didn't have anything to do with a decline in interest in console gaming, that was because of sparse third party support which in turn hurt momentum. Wii U sales of ~3.5m do not demonstrate a general decline in interest in console gaming either, because the Wii U failed everywhere in the world.

Gen over gen Japan won't show a major decline. It's going to be within a few million.

Gen 8: ~24m (3DS) + ~9.5m (PS4) + ~6m (PSV) + ~3.5m (Wii U) + ~100k (XB1) = ~43m

Nintendo's sales going up while Sony's get split roughly in half point to the conclusion that Nintendo is taking away gamers from Sony. Which would hardly be a surprise with a greater number of small Japanese third parties shifting to multiplatform development instead of making their games only for PlayStation.

Lol, you hurting from all that reaching? The man proved you wrong, just admit it. Japan is handheld country. Has been for a few generations, now. No home console has perfomed exceptionally well there since the PS2. And Nintendo happen to be the king of handheld gaming.

Also, the biggest part of why the Wii died is because people were over motion controls 2/3 of the way into the gen and all that was left was a very underpowered machine. The fad got a boost when it came to PS3 and 360, but quickly died after that. It's why Kinect 2.0 failed. Why Labo failed. And as people left the Wii, they either moved to console gaming or moved to PS3/360. 

1st bold: Switch outsold Switch Lite like nothing.

2nd bold: i guess PSVR will never be big and never have a bright future for Sony.

3rd bold: Ring Fit Adventure says hello.

RolStoppable said:
thismeintiel said:

Also, the biggest part of why the Wii died is because people were over motion controls 2/3 of the way into the gen and all that was left was a very underpowered machine. The fad got a boost when it came to PS3 and 360, but quickly died after that. It's why Kinect 2.0 failed. Why Labo failed. And as people left the Wii, they either moved to console gaming or moved to PS3/360. 

The hybrid Switch is comfortably outselling the Lite in Japan.

Your Wii theory is equally sound, which means it isn't. You can't explain Ring Fit Adventure that way.

Oh boy.

Key word is hybrid. It's a handheld that sits in a dock to connect to the TV. Doesn't change the fact that it is still mostly a handheld. Which Japan loves. And without the hybrid nature and detachable joycons for multiplayer, the Switch isn't really a Switch, so I can see why more are getting the OG.

Really Ring Fit? Sure, it's selling fine (especially in Japan, which makes up nearly 40% of it's WW sales), but it's not doing Wii Sports Resort or Balance Board numbers. Doesn't change the fact that their big motion control initiative, Labo, failed. Or that they aren't pushing motion control games out left and right.  Ring Fit also had to use fitness appeal to sell. 

Fine, they have little to do with each other and Sony certainly isn't paying money to keep games off the Switch just as Nintendo didn't pay to keep Monster Hunter Rise off PlayStation.

HoangNhatAnh said:
thismeintiel said:

1st bold: Switch outsold Switch Lite like nothing.

2nd bold: i guess PSVR will never be big and never have a bright future for Sony.

3rd bold: Ring Fit Adventure says hello.

At 2nd bold:

I'm sure it can be seen as a financial success, however, I'm also sure it will remain niche. Until a miraculous $199 wireless headset can release, I think all VR will remain niche.

Still, motion controls by themselves have pretty much died. Have to advertise them as exercise equipment to see any kind of success.

RolStoppable said:
B6a6es said:

"PS sales aren't declining in Japan because of a major loss of interest in console gaming, they are declining because people buy Nintendo consoles instead."

@"Quote" They aren't declining from a major loss of interest in console gaming but they aren't declining because people are buying Nintendo consoles instead...

Using Vgchartz for simplicity sake, and XB always assumed at remaining 1% or less. (no PS2)

end of 2006- Nintendo: 79%, Sony 20%

2007- Nintendo: 71%, Sony 28%

2008- Nintendo: 59%, Sony 40%

2009- Nintendo: 59%, Sony 40%

2010- Nintendo: 50%, Sony 49%

2011- Nintendo: 59%, Sony 40%

2012- Nintendo: 70%, Sony 29%

2013- Nintendo: 70%, Sony 29%

2014- Nintendo: 58%, Sony 41%

2015- Nintendo: 56%, Sony 43%

2016- Nintendo: 70%, Sony 29%

2017- Nintendo: 68%, Sony 31%

2018- Nintendo: 79%, Sony 20%

end of 2019 to date- Nintendo: 88%, Sony 11%

Nintendo has always held dominance aside from when the PSP came out, and while the PSV held the tide a bit, it succumbed quickly. The big difference is 2019, but that is simply because Sony doesn't have handhelds anymore, and sales are bad during console transitions. If the imaginary PSV 2 sold only 1m, then the marketshare would be 75%/24%. Overall the marketshare is rather stable up to this point. The next years could change that.

@ Switch 30m, what is your yearly breakdown for that?