By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is The Medium really banned in Australia?

This article's a little dated now (it's from November 3rd, as in shortly before the recent delay of The Medium's release to January 28th), but I just saw it now and was like...whaaaaaaaat the fuck??! It says that The Medium has been banned in Australia and nobody knows why. The game's developer has been known in the past for the psychological focus of their horror games, not for gory or sexual content, and The Medium is described as another psychological horror game by them.

If anyone knows, is this game really banned in Australia? And if so, why, because this seems downright idiotic to me.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 15 November 2020

Around the Network

Not sure, it might go through a butchered stage like Left 4 Dead 2 did, but from what i am hearing, its either banned or butchered.

Australia is ran like a dictatorship, they will control as much as they can while pretending to be the nice guy. All i can say is this, violence is okay, Gore, Rape, Horror etc but anything to do with kids, Pregnant woman or drugs, its a Straight fail by the rulings.

If i hear any updates, i will try to update you. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 15 November 2020

Apparently it "might" be banned. Now I really want to play it 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

LittleSnake said:

Already pre-ordered :)

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Sorry, silly question: what century are we living in? I get lost sometimes.

Besides, banning a product is often the best way to make it more appealing.

I'm mostly a lurker now.

Around the Network
Peh said:
LittleSnake said:

Already pre-ordered :)

You goddamn bastard! Gimme 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

shikamaru317 said:

That is stupid, I have no idea why Australia is so strict with games. The Medium is psychological horror primarily, I don't think I've seen any footage that was particularly gory, and I don't think any of Bloober's previous games have had explicit nudity in them; I don't remember any in Layers of Fear, Observer, or Blair Witch. Thankfully you guys can buy the digital version from another country's Xbox Store and play it since there is no region locking.

Didn't they add that recently?

I remember a few months ago trying to buy Bloodstained Curse of the Moon on Xbox buy couldn't because we share the Australian marketplace here in NZ, so I  got it on Switch instead.