By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Jon Doyle - Xbox Series X is the 2013 Xbox one, bar everything but Name - False claims

Is he right? this online DRM makes XSX basically the 2013 xbox?

yes 8 61.54%

no 5 38.46%

Total:13

"I’ve spent the last 24 hours with the series x testing it for its “media preservation” aspects and Im sad to report just when you think Xbox couldn’t get any worse they have. This console is the 2013 Xbox one by everything bar name and below I will explain how."

"I set up the x series and was immediately greeted by a internet required set up (the same as Xbox one) this would already be a stumbling block for anyone with internet issues or no access, but I followed the on screen steps and set the system up"

"I updated the system and signed into my Xbox live account. I arrived at the dashboard and checked to ensure the system was set as the home console etc and it was. Now I had a theory even though a online set up was bad maybe it was a one time deal ?"

"I reset the Xbox and did the same process again and yes it needed to connect again. Eventually I arrived back at the start and resumed testing. I installed a few Xbox one discs into the series x console (in offline mode) after a fairly long install process they had finished."

"I tried to open the titles and was greeted with a message they could not be played without being online, so already we now have a activation drm. At this stage physical media on the system is useless, but I then connect online and the games start immediately."

"I still had hope at this stage the System would work fine as long as the games had been activated. And they did, the titles played fine. I turned off the console and upon turning on again they continued to play. But I was not done"

"I unplugged the Xbox and performed a cold boot. And guess what once the system restarted NONE OF my activated game’s would work without being connected online !!"

"I
have completed this process now many times and no titles work. The Xbox series x is no different to the 2013 Xbox one, @Xbox and @XboxP3  have snuck the 2013 drm back into the system. They absolutely do not care about media preservation."

"They have created a system that works against it. One day every Xbox series console in the world and every single digital and physical game you buy will not work. They will be useless, but that matters not. All that mattered was your money"

Looks like you need to be online to install games.
You need to be online to play games (offline mode = no playing).
One day, 15-20 years into the future, your xbox series x, likely wont be able to play games anymore. 
Does this matter? maybe to some that want to keep things, or for media preservation reasons.
This isnt like when older consoles.... like how many people kept their old SNES/NES? and still are able to play games on it? That wont work for the XSX.

Tweet Chain (first of many) : 
Last edited by JRPGfan - on 11 November 2020

Around the Network

"i watched a stream from Gigaboots where they purchased a physical copy of the series x version of AC Valhalla, and they could only download 900 mb off the disc- the actual next-gen version of the game (roughly 46 gigs iirc) had to be downloaded via an internet connection."

Again... how do you preserve games? so they last in the future.If they only have like 600-900mb on the disc, and the rest requires you to download it?

It was in the Eurogamer review, although just briefly mentioned

Similar to other Xboxes (and unlike Sony consoles), an online connection is mandatory to get going, and the process here is exactly like Xbox One - which is to say, time-consuming and rather frustrating. It's all in stark contrast to the user interface itself, which feels so fast and responsive - a genuine joy to use.

Nothing about having to connect again after a cold boot :/ What's the point in setting it as your home/primary console?

shikamaru317 said:
Haven't got my Xbox Series X yet, but from what I've been reading these claims are totally bogus. I've seen many people saying they've tested their games offline and they worked just fine. You just need an internet connection for the initial day one setup, and to download the digital version of any disc based back compat games.

So does this guy.

He claims that they worked offline (for a time), until it goes into standby or is cold booted.
Then they stop working until you again get internet access for them (again).

So there is a time limit, or a setting thats lost when it goes into standby or is turned off.
Once that happends, your offline setting, will prevent a game from being played offline mode.

Basically its not enough you have internet access when installing games.
You basically also need to be online (atleast occasionally) to play games.

shikamaru317 said:
SvennoJ said:

Similar to other Xboxes (and unlike Sony consoles), an online connection is mandatory to get going, and the process here is exactly like Xbox One - which is to say, time-consuming and rather frustrating. It's all in stark contrast to the user interface itself, which feels so fast and responsive - a genuine joy to use.

Nothing about having to connect again after a cold boot :/ What's the point in setting it as your home/primary console?

If they didn't have that requirement, people could go to their friends house, sign in to their own Xbox profile, download their digital library on the friends console, and then the friend could play all of those games offline for free as much as he wanted. Game publishers would not be ok with that, hence why offline play is only available on a system set as your home console.

Playstation 5, doesnt require you to be online to play games offline.

You dont even have to patch games to play them via backwards compatability.
You basically just put the disc in and it runs (even in offline mode).

Xbox is walking a differnt path than playstation here.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
SvennoJ said:

If they didn't have that requirement, people could go to their friends house, sign in to their own Xbox profile, download their digital library on the friends console, and then the friend could play all of those games offline for free as much as he wanted. Game publishers would not be ok with that, hence why offline play is only available on a system set as your home console.

Yes I get that, and I have that on ps4 pro (since my base ps4 is the primary, every digital title is locked when I cold boot it without internet). But here I thought even setting it as primary still requires internet on a cold boot. However @shikamaru317 said he didn't set it as his home console again after resetting the whole thing so that makes sense. Still sucks it won't work without internet initially and no BC without internet.

SvennoJ said:

And now that seals it. Never getting an Xbox series X.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I think it might be a little early for doom-and-gloom, but this is concerning. More info is needed before I accept this as anything more than one dude's bad day.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

shikamaru317 said:
JRPGfan said:
shikamaru317 said:

People are saying that he didn't set it back to his home console after the reset. Offline play is only available on a home console, same as Xbox One. 

This might actually be all that it is.

Ryuu96 said:

Wouldn't put too much stock into what he says after looking through his twitter, all I can say is yikes...

Anyway we have Xbox users here to verify his claims, like me!

Just disconnected myself from the internet, performed a full restart, opened up AC Valhalla and I'm currently playing it offline.

From my understanding you only need a internet connection for the initial setup.

If thats the case, lock this thread please.
Just a random guy on tweeter spouting nonsense then.