By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Devil may Cry 5 PS5 vs. Series X (Digital Foundry)

Were you happy with the performance of your console of choice?

Series X Outperformed 2 8.00%

Series X Disappointed 2 8.00%

PS5 Outperformed 7 28.00%

PS5 Disappointed 0 0%

It was a tie 11 44.00%

Will judge later with gam... 3 12.00%

Total:25

So it begins.

Summary:
- Between PS5 and SeX they visually look pretty much identical (1:34)
- At the first option 'normal mode' (4K) they're identical (2:32)
- 'Normal mode' render at native 4k on both systems
- On 'Normal mode' (captured in 1080p) looks like SeX have a better perfomance over PS5
- On 'High Frame Rate mode' with use some sort of reconstruct tech- in gameplay starts looks like PS5 get a sightly better perfomance over SeX
- SeX get a severe drops over PS5 without reason (5:47 and 5:55)
- Rich saying 'those dips looks really strange', suggest could be an API limitation, maybe Directx 12U fault (6:00)
- John say that even enable VRR on SeX its not enough to solve those drops (7:10)
- Now testing the 'RT Perfomance Mode'
- On 'RT Perfomance Mode' looks like the game runs at 1920x1080 with Ray Tracing ON
- Looks like SeX have sightly better perfomance here over the PS5 as well
- On 'RT Quality Mode' looks like the game runs at a higher resolution
- Looks like SeX have sightly better perfomance in that mode too
- Both SeX and PS5 have super fast loading times, but looks like PS5 get a sightly faster than SeX, PS5 gets in 2:11 while SeX gets in 3:36 (11:43)
- On SeX you can really set your output at 60hz, unlike the PS5, forcing the game to run at 60 (13:09)
- John says at 11:13 from that video: ' They're really close. So suggest they're into a very competitive generation.'

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 11 November 2020

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

at least add a poll

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Nice, first next gen faceoff by DF.

Imo not much of a big difference between the two versions. In some modes Series X has a minor advantage in performance; 4K and RT modes. PS5 version performs better in high FPS mode. Both quite comparable. I doubt this game is well optimised for either console, this early on the generation.

Last edited by hinch - on 11 November 2020

I'm disappointed by this port for both consoles tbh. Df having to email capcom about the framerates on PS5, series x performance on one mode being bested by PS5. Seems to be a bit everywhere.It's early days but capcom seem to want to cash in on the crowd who want a high framerate game with Ray tracing on their new system. Not even DF came to a conclusion on why it ran the way it did. Mild entrigue has turned into a hard pass.I might have to get watch dogs for my first ray tracing experience...

Not a fan of the unlocked framerate. It doesn't even help with the xbox vrr. 120fps is just ridiculous as I thought from the beginning. a hard 60fps lock would be a much needed patch. I do believe the xbox has some option if connected to a 60hz display. Aside from that, I can see those guys confusion in their face trying to reason why the ps5 is just a couple of frames behind the xbox in rt and higher in framerate mode with its paper specs so low. They where gona perform the same as everyone thought and exclusives will be the real difference .

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
I'm disappointed by this port for both consoles tbh. Df having to email capcom about the framerates on PS5, series x performance on one mode being bested by PS5. Seems to be a bit everywhere.It's early days but capcom seem to want to cash in on the crowd who want a high framerate game with Ray tracing on their new system. Not even DF came to a conclusion on why it ran the way it did. Mild entrigue has turned into a hard pass.I might have to get watch dogs for my first ray tracing experience...

try Spiderman instead. 

Apparently DF gave a close win to ps5.

Angelv577 said:
Apparently DF gave a close win to ps5.

jup going 60hz is the way

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Looks like Phil is gonna struggle to sell the XSX power with no exclusives that actually utilize that power. By the time the proper MS exclusives starts to pour, the PS5 will have established a "perception" advantage of being the stronger console at a cheaper price, only to release the PS5 Pro shortly after.

Game doesn't seem well optimized at all. Look at that frame rate fluctuation in every mode, yuck. Especially that high frame rate mode, both graphs were all over the place. That RT looked pretty good though.