By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest?

Best franchise:

Dragon Quest 10 31.25%

Final Fantasy 22 68.75%

Total:32

These days it's Dragon Quest easily. I have to admire how each and every game of the franchise is just great. Because they just don't change the formula and stick with greatness rather than trying to appeal to the western market. FF has the higher potential but it is rarely reached. FFXV is trash, FFXVI looks to be trash, while the latest DQ game is the peak of the series.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Leynos said:
If this is the 90s. Final Fantasy easily. Last 19 years? Dragon Quest. Aside from 12. Final Fantasy has been shit post IX. Dragon Quest on the other hand keeps getting better. I dare say DQXI is the best in the series.

I agree with you overall (FFI through IX, and XII, in my case). But I still enjoyed most of the post-classic era of FF games even if they have many flaws where it seems like there’s an identity crisis that really has no reason to be. The XIII series wasn’t bad. All titles were good games, I would say, but they weren’t good Final Fantasy games. 

Final Fantasy VII Remake gives me hope that Creative Business Unit 1 (which is composed of most series veterans) finally gets it. 

I don’t so much miss the turn based nature of the series, so much as the strategic and “take your time to think this through” aspects of the battle systems of yore. FFVIIR brings the best of classic and modern together, and I hope it becomes the new ATB. Meaning that it becomes the new gameplay staple of the series and they let it evolve from here.

All that being said, i have enjoyed most classic DQ games, although aside from V, I consider the FF games from the same era to be superior. DQ VII almost got up there. But it is with DQVIII that I feel the series reached the same quality height as the FF series (for the same time period) and to this day, I consider it the best in the series. XI standing at a not so distant second.

Can’t wait for XII. In maybe 3 years if we’re lucky. But I’ll be there day one when it comes out.

Last edited by Hynad - on 11 November 2020

FF wins easily due to FFX and FFVIII.

But DQVIII and DQXI can easily compete with FFXII, FFXIV, FFVII, FFIX, and FFIV.

The rest I don't think are that good.

And then there is FFXIII at the bottom.

Dragon Quest. It is charming and classic. Very fun game to play.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Dq for me, it has never lost its magic. FF did... Years ago

Around the Network

It depends

Dragon Quest and it's not even close. Every one I've played I've loved to bits, FF on the other hand... I liked FFX, got through FFIX, and can't bring myself to enjoy VII no matter how hard I try. DQ's quality is consistent across the entire series - spinoffs included as well.

why not both?

Mar1217 said:
Final Fantasy would have won this contest without problem ... if we were still in the 6th Gen (PS2,GameCube,etc..) but since then mainline Dragon Quest has been simply better at putting better and CONSISTENT experiences than FF ever could in it's last 3 mainline games.

DQ VII PS1

DQ VIII PS2

DQ IX DS

DQ X Wii

DQ XI 3DS

Maybe if they’d produce roughly a single mainline Final Fantasy game per gen, they’d be a consistent experience like Dragon Quest?