By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 to PS5 transition will take 3 years, more cross-gen games coming from Sony

Otter said:

Lol, are people still comparing sony having some cross gen games but literally launching the ps5 with exclusives, to Microsoft who came out and said all games will be cross gen for 2 years?

Yes, it is the same thing and both companies are doing the right here. Most people don't buy the new consoles in the first nor the second year and they shouldn't be left behind. I would never buy a product from a company that drops their support as soon as they get a new model out. I will never support that kind of behavior in ANY company.

Around the Network
chakkra said:
Otter said:

Lol, are people still comparing sony having some cross gen games but literally launching the ps5 with exclusives, to Microsoft who came out and said all games will be cross gen for 2 years?

Yes, it is the same thing and both companies are doing the right here. Most people don't buy the new consoles in the first nor the second year and they shouldn't be left behind. I would never buy a product from a company that drops their support as soon as they get a new model out. I will never support that kind of behavior in ANY company.

So I take it you don’t buy Nintendo consoles?

Hynad said:
chakkra said:
Otter said:

So I take it you don’t buy Nintendo consoles?

lol, nope.

zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

PS4 sales have dropped tremendously and SW sales is nearing peak, so it was the time for a new console, besides giving MS 2 or 3 years of only next gen console would be to much.

Problem was more on MS saying they didn't want people to feel a need to next gen and that all their games on the next couple years would be crossgen. It didn't help that they then said it wouldn't hold back games at all and then show Halo Infinite.

None of that was the problem or worded as you say.

MS never said every game would be cross gen they said 1-2 years "Some" games will be. it was Sony fans jumping to that conclusion that every game would be alot of the same Sony fans thats now trying to twist tail and backtrack. It was MS fans and PC gamers who was trying to explain to Sony fans that this happens every gen and how engines can scale. Halos problems as has been pointed out a number of times to you and other Sony fans was nothing to do with being cross gen. So yeah keep trying to downplay everything like you always do Don when it suits you right?.

You are simply wrong:

“You won’t be forced into the next generation,” he said. “We want every Xbox player to play all the new games from Xbox Game Studios. That’s why Xbox Game Studios titles we release in the next couple of years—like Halo Infinite—will be available and play great on Xbox Series X and Xbox One.

“We won’t force you to upgrade to Xbox Series X at launch to play Xbox exclusives.”

https://www.mcvuk.com/business-news/we-need-to-deliver-on-the-promises-that-we-make-xbox-game-studios-matt-booty-on-the-future-of-xbox/amp/

zero129 said:

MS never said every game would be cross gen they said 1-2 years "Some" games will be. it was Sony fans jumping to that conclusion that every game would be alot of the same Sony fans thats now trying to twist tail and backtrack. It was MS fans and PC gamers who was trying to explain to Sony fans that this happens every gen and how engines can scale. Halos problems as has been pointed out a number of times to you and other Sony fans was nothing to do with being cross gen. So yeah keep trying to downplay everything like you always do Don when it suits you right?.

Edit: Woops, someone beat me to it lol. 

This is simply false, if true, pls bring up the quote. 

“over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices,

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/10/21060771/microsoft-xbox-series-x-exclusive-games-launch-backwards-compatibility

Around the Network
zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:
KratosLives said:
i knew they should have went another 2 or 3 years before a new console.

PS4 sales have dropped tremendously and SW sales is nearing peak, so it was the time for a new console, besides giving MS 2 or 3 years of only next gen console would be to much.

Mnementh said:
Hynad said:
Azzanation said:
Damn Microsoft, when will they learn thats not a good idea.. oh wait.

Wait... Are people pretending it’s the first gen this is a thing?

Apparently they did then Microsoft announced they were doing this. But this is normal. It happened over time again and again. It is no surprise, the new installbase starts small and game projects often develop for years. So cross-gen games isn't all that surprising - yet each generation people act surprised. Microsoft was first to announce this at this gen, so they got a bigger amount of backlash. Announcing first is bad for some things.

Problem was more on MS saying they didn't want people to feel a need to next gen and that all their games on the next couple years would be crossgen. It didn't help that they then said it wouldn't hold back games at all and then show Halo Infinite.

When you get It completly wrong and still fill It in a personal attack. Guess you Will pretend ac valhalla, dmc, and other launch day titles weren't impacted on launch by the Xbox decisions on crossgen and multiple console support. I don't need tô requote since hynad Just gave It to you. So are you going tô humble down and appologize for the needless personal attack?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Shiken said:

They don't have the same narrative so it's not a double standard.

Microsoft got backlash because they insisted EVERY game from the next 2 years of 1st party games would be tied to old hardware. 

Out the gate sony has 2 launch games built exclusively around PS5 hardware. Demon Souls is a remake but it's also the best looking console game ever made (technically). Astrobot has been universally praised for its use of the ps5 control, something's its gameplay was designed around. In both cases the praise comes from centering PS5 hardware at the heart of the development and the absence of this is why people were concerned about MS' statement. If MS had crazy good looking games, or unique titles taking advantage of the Series X hardware, then any initial backlash would be mute. Playstation would have got just as much backlash if they committed to to every 1st party game coming to PS4 before they even revealed any PS5 games. 

Next on Playstation 5 there's Destruction All Stars, Returnals, Ratchet and Clank and GT7. All aimed for Q1/Q2. Anyone investing in PS5 knows that there will be games designed around its specs. 

Equally if Microsoft was showing cross gen games arriving in the near future that looked a generational leap (ala Horizon 2), people wouldn't care about the cross gen statement but instead they showed off Halo Infinite...

Look all I know is that I was sold on PS5 till Horizon was announced as cross gen.  Now I will wait for GoW5.  I have a PS4 Pro for Horizon and Spiderman, and don't care about the shovelware.  Demon Souls can wait, but I am interested in that one as I loved it on PS3...

However as someone who did not play many of MS games in gen 8, the Series X was the easy choice for me to start next gen with.  Aside from new 3rd party games, I can experience Gears 4 and 5, Halo 5, Crackdown 3,  DOOM Eternal, (I will get to why this is a point for XSX), etc for the first time with improvements to boot.  And I get to do it all for minimal cost on gamepass inbetween new games (which is why DOOM Eternal is still a point for XSX).

It just makes the most sense from both a financial standpoint and from a games standpoint.  This is why I find it hilarious when someone says anything along the lines of, "XSX has no gaemz at launch, so only hardcore fans will buy it!"  It shows that, through lack of desire or otherwise, they refuse to look at the bigger picture and fail to see why the XSX is just as good an option at launch than the PS5 (pending on the situation of the gamer).

On the flip side, anyone with an XBox ONE X would benefit more from the PS5.  They already have a beast that can do gamepass while they wait for more games tailored for the Series X.  So in the meantime they can check out what Sony has to offer.

Sorry but this has nothing much to do with my post. Everyone play the platform you want, they're all brimming with games :) 

Otter said:
Shiken said:

They don't have the same narrative so it's not a double standard.

Microsoft got backlash because they insisted EVERY game from the next 2 years of 1st party games would be tied to old hardware. 

Out the gate sony has 2 launch games built exclusively around PS5 hardware. Demon Souls is a remake but it's also the best looking console game ever made (technically). Astrobot has been universally praised for its use of the ps5 control, something's its gameplay was designed around. In both cases the praise comes from centering PS5 hardware at the heart of the development and the absence of this is why people were concerned about MS' statement. If MS had crazy good looking games, or unique titles taking advantage of the Series X hardware, then any initial backlash would be mute. Playstation would have got just as much backlash if they committed to to every 1st party game coming to PS4 before they even revealed any PS5 games. 

Next on Playstation 5 there's Destruction All Stars, Returnals, Ratchet and Clank and GT7. All aimed for Q1/Q2. Anyone investing in PS5 knows that there will be games designed around its specs. 

Equally if Microsoft was showing cross gen games arriving in the near future that looked a generational leap (ala Horizon 2), people wouldn't care about the cross gen statement but instead they showed off Halo Infinite...

Look all I know is that I was sold on PS5 till Horizon was announced as cross gen.  Now I will wait for GoW5.  I have a PS4 Pro for Horizon and Spiderman, and don't care about the shovelware.  Demon Souls can wait, but I am interested in that one as I loved it on PS3...

However as someone who did not play many of MS games in gen 8, the Series X was the easy choice for me to start next gen with.  Aside from new 3rd party games, I can experience Gears 4 and 5, Halo 5, Crackdown 3,  DOOM Eternal, (I will get to why this is a point for XSX), etc for the first time with improvements to boot.  And I get to do it all for minimal cost on gamepass inbetween new games (which is why DOOM Eternal is still a point for XSX).

It just makes the most sense from both a financial standpoint and from a games standpoint.  This is why I find it hilarious when someone says anything along the lines of, "XSX has no gaemz at launch, so only hardcore fans will buy it!"  It shows that, through lack of desire or otherwise, they refuse to look at the bigger picture and fail to see why the XSX is just as good an option at launch than the PS5 (pending on the situation of the gamer).

On the flip side, anyone with an XBox ONE X would benefit more from the PS5.  They already have a beast that can do gamepass while they wait for more games tailored for the Series X.  So in the meantime they can check out what Sony has to offer.

Sorry but this has nothing much to do with my post. Everyone play the platform you want, they're all brimming with games :) 

Oh no doubt, and yeah my post did get a little off base from your point.  I was more putting my thoughts on what each console could offer someone based on a case by case basis of the gamer at launch.  After rereading your post, quoting you in particular seemed out of place.  I rushed my response, my bad!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I hate the first-second year of the new console and that's why I preferred in many occasions wait a few years before I can make my purchase and play some real next gen titles.

Last edited by dart1250 - on 15 November 2020

While it's probably not good for PS5 sales to have Miles Morales, and HZD2 as crossgen titles, at least Sony has SOMETHING that is truly exclusive to PS5, with Demon's Souls and Ratchet.

MS on the other hand launches all it's games day one on XB1, XB Series, and PC.

And yes, I'm actually happy to have both Miles and HZD2 on PS4. I don't plan on getting a PS5 until the Pro version comes out. And if Sony winds up putting all their stuff on PC, I'll never get a PS5, because I'll have no need to.

Edit: Wait, I'll have to get a PS5 eventually once my PS4 Pro finally kicks the bucket in order to be able to play my massive PS4 library. But that wouldn't be bought until 2027 or later. :P

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 15 November 2020