By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

S.Peelman said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Time for more hints:

21) Hardware based plot twist.

Metal Gear Solid?

Nope, this one is a major plot twist to the story.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:
S.Peelman said:

Metal Gear Solid?

God of War II. The plot twist is that the story ends just as the attack on Olympus starts and that you have to buy new hardware to see how it pans out.

Signature goes here!

UnderwaterFunktown said:
S.Peelman said:

Metal Gear Solid?

Bionic Commando, the twist being that your arm was your wife all along. 

Just like real life. 

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Time for more hints:

22) This game had a lot of controversy at launch and has changed much since. I liked it almost since day 1 though.

20) Few games have been as dominating in their genre as this.

19) This isn't the first or last appearance in this franchise of a certain happy character, but it is the only time he has a role in the main story.

22. No Man's Sky?
21. Final Fantasy 7?
20. GTA5?

S.Peelman said:

Second hints;

25: I was quite impressed by how the snow reacts to you moving through it.

Hint 2: The game starts out in it, before it flashes back for a couple levels until it catches up again. Guessed by Jpcc86 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

24: Metal first, makes the rest a lot easier. Guessed by TruckOSaurus - Mega Man 2

23: This game is technically a first-person shooter, and for the first few levels it's exactly that, but after that you get something that makes you want it be a third person one instead.

Hint 2: It's also not really a shooter anymore, but more of a hack-and-slash, unless you count the powers like throwing your saber and pushing your enemies.

22: A cheat code gives you a lot of money, or Cousin Vinnie gives you a castle instead.

Hint 2: I'd take the castle, taxing people doesn't come with that much of a penalty and the castle looks nice next to your police station and whatnot. Guessed by Jpcc86 - SimCity 3000

21: From the moment it was released, there was a big debate about whether or not the main character, who's the same as the one from the last game for a change, is dead or not. Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown - The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

23. Jedi Knight?

Here are some more hints:

My #24 was Mr. Do, which no one guessed.  (Understandable, because it's an early 80s arcade game.)

20.  A certain developer essentially created a whole genre.  A few years later they created this game, a multiplayer oriented entry, which competed with the first series which they also created.

19.  This is a PS3 entry of a series that is known for being on the PC and having a certain developer's name in the title.

18.  One of the characters in this PS1 game looks a lot like a character class from an NES game in the same series.

17.  In this entry, it costs twice as much to command your tank as it does to command your infantry.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

My #24 was Mr. Do, which no one guessed.  (Understandable, because it's an early 80s arcade game.)

20.  A certain developer essentially created a whole genre.  A few years later they created this game, a multiplayer oriented entry, which competed with the first series which they also created.

19.  This is a PS3 entry of a series that is known for being on the PC and having a certain developer's name in the title.

18.  One of the characters in this PS1 game looks a lot like a character class from an NES game in the same series.

17.  In this entry, it costs twice as much to command your tank as it does to command your infantry.

18 - Final Fantasy 9? Character being Viv

17 - Valkyrie Chronicles

The_Liquid_Laser said:

19. This has to be a Sid Meier game, so maybe Civilization Revolution

Signature goes here!

Jpcc86 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

18 - Final Fantasy 9? Character being Viv

17 - Valkyrie Chronicles

Both correct!

TruckOSaurus said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

19. This has to be a Sid Meier game, so maybe Civilization Revolution

Correct!

TruckOSaurus said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

God of War II. The plot twist is that the story ends just as the attack on Olympus starts and that you have to buy new hardware to see how it pans out.

Jpcc86 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Just like real life. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Time for more hints:

22) This game had a lot of controversy at launch and has changed much since. I liked it almost since day 1 though.

20) Few games have been as dominating in their genre as this.

19) This isn't the first or last appearance in this franchise of a certain happy character, but it is the only time he has a role in the main story.

22. No Man's Sky?
21. Final Fantasy 7?
20. GTA5?

Nope to everything. 21 is a twist based on a specific characteristic of the console. And GTA V was number 50 on my list.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Jpcc86 said:

Just like real life. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:

22. No Man's Sky?
21. Final Fantasy 7?
20. GTA5?

Nope to everything. 21 is a twist based on a specific characteristic of the console. And GTA V was number 50 on my list.

I'm sure Gargoyle's Quest isn't the game you're describing but it was my favorite Gameboy game for a long time. Your post just reminded me of it. 

You're looking for a character called "The Red Blaze". 

The box art has a green gargoyle and the system is monochrome so everything was either green or yellow. Towards the end, you find out that your character was red the whole time and (of course) you were playing as Firebrand, the Red Blaze.