By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

I think in America Playstation will win again similar fashion as the PS4, where it will be a narrow victory. Some people believe Xbox with win in America but based off of what I am seeing on data and small sample polls most Americans seem to be favoring the PS5 over the Xbox SX, I know it's just a small sample size, but usually those polls could give a good indicator of what the casual market is thinking as a whole. It's gonna be close but I expect PS5 to win again in NA.

In Europe Playstation will blow Xbox out the water in terms of sales, maybe slightly closer since Xbox is now starting the gen off with the price advantage but there simply isn't enough marketing from Microsoft in Europe to put much of a noticeable dent to the market share in Europe.

Japan should be slightly better this time for the Xbox since the Xbox Series S is a small console which appeals more towards Japanese consumers who tend to live in smaller areas and maybe the emergence of Xcloud grow Xbox's market share in Japan, where Japanese consumers are more into portable gaming and where internet speeds are fast enough for cloud gaming. Maybe if Microsoft somehow manages to make Xcloud big in Japan it could threaten Playstation's market share in Japan and I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to make Xcloud big over there. However, as of now it seems unlikely. So while I do believe Xbox SX will do better in Japan, it still should be no where close to Playstation. But I wouldn't say Japan matters that much anymore for either company since the home console market is for the most part virtually dead in Japan and Japan's sales won't make much of an affect to the worldwide sales total of either console.

In the rest of the world, Playstation 5 again should have a pretty sizable lead over Xbox SSX. Mainly due to Sony's marketing all across other regions while Microsoft doesn't market much outside of English-speaking countries and I doesn't seems to care about beating Sony in sales figures anymore to change that. However, if what people in the thread above me say is true that Xbox games are cheaper in the ROW, maybe Xbox could regain smoe market sure in those regions. However, I still think Playstation will win pretty easily.

So worldwide, I agree that this gen in terms of sales will be very similar to the last. I expect both Playstation and Xbox to sell even more this gen but market share to remain very similar.

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:
Xbox to gain market share in Japan against PS? A little to much optimism there. lol

Nobody said double digits. Like a extra percentage point or two...progress :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

javi741 said:
I think in America Playstation will win again similar fashion as the PS4, where it will be a narrow victory. Some people believe Xbox with win in America but based off of what I am seeing on data and small sample polls most Americans seem to be favoring the PS5 over the Xbox SX, I know it's just a small sample size, but usually those polls could give a good indicator of what the casual market is thinking as a whole. It's gonna be close but I expect PS5 to win again in NA.

In Europe Playstation will blow Xbox out the water in terms of sales, maybe slightly closer since Xbox is now starting the gen off with the price advantage but there simply isn't enough marketing from Microsoft in Europe to put much of a noticeable dent to the market share in Europe.

Japan should be slightly better this time for the Xbox since the Xbox Series S is a small console which appeals more towards Japanese consumers who tend to live in smaller areas and maybe the emergence of Xcloud grow Xbox's market share in Japan, where Japanese consumers are more into portable gaming and where internet speeds are fast enough for cloud gaming. Maybe if Microsoft somehow manages to make Xcloud big in Japan it could threaten Playstation's market share in Japan and I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to make Xcloud big over there. However, as of now it seems unlikely. So while I do believe Xbox SX will do better in Japan, it still should be no where close to Playstation. But I wouldn't say Japan matters that much anymore for either company since the home console market is for the most part virtually dead in Japan and Japan's sales won't make much of an affect to the worldwide sales total of either console.

In the rest of the world, Playstation 5 again should have a pretty sizable lead over Xbox SSX. Mainly due to Sony's marketing all across other regions while Microsoft doesn't market much outside of English-speaking countries and I doesn't seems to care about beating Sony in sales figures anymore to change that. However, if what people in the thread above me say is true that Xbox games are cheaper in the ROW, maybe Xbox could regain smoe market sure in those regions. However, I still think Playstation will win pretty easily.

So worldwide, I agree that this gen in terms of sales will be very similar to the last. I expect both Playstation and Xbox to sell even more this gen but market share to remain very similar.

Well what about their FPS and WRPG upcoming catalog? Very American/western in appeal, probably the most appeal out of any country that likes both genres. And genres Sony largely wont touch aside from COD exclusive content they keep getting. It’s an edge I’m sure MS will exploit. 

Doom, Wolfenstein, Elder Scrolls 6, Starfield, Halo, Fable, Avowed, etc. It can make a difference. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Game Pass and ZeniMax will give much boost to Xbox on this generation.

My market share estimates:

PS5: 60%
XSX|S: 40%

freedquaker said:

4) I estimated PS4 to sell a minimum of 122 million by the end of 2020.

Explain to me how the PS4 could do 8M in 2 months, knowing that it is dying, that the Switch is choking it and that the PS5 is going to finish it ?

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:
It's hard to say overall market share without Nintendo. But they're basically in the middle of generations/an oddity because Switch is a hybrid. PS5 and Xbox Series S/X will compete with Switch and Switch 2.

But if you're saying just the market share between the two of them, here's my pre-release prediction.
Xbox Series S/X: 55 million units (34.38%)
PS5: 105 million units (65.62%)

Some people expect a closer race than that, I don't. PlayStation is a more dominant brand than Xbox, especially in Europe and Japan. And it has exclusives, even if they're shrinking in number.

That's a closer ratio than their predecessors have currently
Xbox One: 48.4 million (29.82%)
PS4: 113.9 million (70.18%)

I do not have a cleat idea about the SALES NUMBERS but my MARKET SHARE estimates tend to agree with yours, basically 1 to 2 (globally) and a possible US lead by Xbox.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

VanillaWare said:
freedquaker said:

4) I estimated PS4 to sell a minimum of 122 million by the end of 2020.

Explain to me how the PS4 could do 8M in 2 months, knowing that it is dying, that the Switch is choking it and that the PS5 is going to finish it ?

I cannot explain it because it is THE ONLY inaccurate part of my estimations from way back in 2013, which is admittedly an overestimation by 5-10% by the end of 2020. I had predicted a minimum of 122 million, where the sales currently stand at 114 million (about 7% over estimation currently). PS4 will probably close the year with less than 120 million, so I was off at least by few percentage points, but given that this is a 7 year estimate into the future, and all the abnormalities around the world, I'd say it was still a very sound one. I was spot on about the Xbox sales though :)

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Without huge drop price, it's impossible for me to imagine the PS4 makes more than 118M.

sales2099 said:
Blood_Tears said:
Xbox to gain market share in Japan against PS? A little to much optimism there. lol

The Japanese support in Japan specifically has been very poor this gen and I don't think Tango is going to change that. A lot of Japanese devs don't even release the Xbox sku over there on multiplat games. 

The Series X+S will likely sell less than X1 in Japan over all. Selling out a low stock shipment for launch day on Amazon Japan won't change much and Gamepass for Japanese heavy hitters like KH, FF or DQ comes years after the initial Japanese release. I would be very surprised if they even sell 75k there for the Series family when it's all said and done. That's not progress. 

Blood_Tears said:
sales2099 said:

The Japanese support in Japan specifically has been very poor this gen and I don't think Tango is going to change that. A lot of Japanese devs don't even release the Xbox sku over there on multiplat games. 

The Series X+S will likely sell less than X1 in Japan over all. Selling out a low stock shipment for launch day on Amazon Japan won't change much and Gamepass for Japanese heavy hitters like KH, FF or DQ comes years after the initial Japanese release. I would be very surprised if they even sell 75k there for the Series family when it's all said and done. That's not progress. 

If PS5 sales remain flat or even decline relative to PS4 and Xbox Series sales somehow to remain on par with Xbox One, then yes it’s a minuscule marketshare gain. Cmon I was joking here saying 1-2% gen over gen gain. Absolute peanuts and even that somehow seems unacceptable. O well