By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anybody know anything about availability of PS5 or XSX units without preorders?

The title pretty much says it all.  Does anybody here have any information about how many units are expected to be available for purchase without preorders?  

I've never had trouble getting a system within a few weeks of launch before by just keeping my eyes open.  But, I'm not out in stores as much this year, so I'm wondering what I should expect.  So far, I've heard no real information other than the usual "inventories will be limited until early (in the year after launch)" that is said about every launch.  

I tried to get an XSX preorder, but failed.  I forgot about PS5 preorders, so I obviously failed there too.  I'm hoping I can get one of them soon after launch.  

Around the Network
VAMatt said:

The title pretty much says it all.  Does anybody here have any information about how many units are expected to be available for purchase without preorders?  

I've never had trouble getting a system within a few weeks of launch before by just keeping my eyes open.  But, I'm not out in stores as much this year, so I'm wondering what I should expect.  So far, I've heard no real information other than the usual "inventories will be limited until early (in the year after launch)" that is said about every launch.  

I tried to get an XSX preorder, but failed.  I forgot about PS5 preorders, so I obviously failed there too.  I'm hoping I can get one of them soon after launch.  

Not really anything anyone can answer for you. Gonna very from store to store. Some might do waiting lists, or be willing to tell you when they'll get new units in. My advice would be to go to the stores and ask the employees and managers if you can.

Just wait a few months.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Unless you're keeping tabs on every online store and checking several times a day, I wouldn't count on being able to get a PS5 or Xbox until after the new year. (Assuming you're from the US; other regions could be different).

Bribe an employee to hide one for you.

I know this next part isn't what you asked but, just in case you can't get one: What are you missing out on? Is there a game that you simply must play or are resolution and frame rates that big of a deal for you? Waiting sucks but if you can't get one, a lot of games will update when do finally get one (or both!) consoles. And a lot of their library will be cross gen. In any case, good luck!

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

I know this next part isn't what you asked but, just in case you can't get one: What are you missing out on? Is there a game that you simply must play or are resolution and frame rates that big of a deal for you? Waiting sucks but if you can't get one, a lot of games will update when do finally get one (or both!) consoles. And a lot of their library will be cross gen. In any case, good luck!

Yeah, it's not the end of the world if I can't get one.  But, I'm in the middle of construction on a new gaming/home theatre-type space in my basement, and it would be really nice to have a new console to play in my new space.  

With that said, it's not going to be complete by launch anyway, and it probably won't be properly furnished until after the first of the year.  So, waiting ain't a real big deal.  

VAMatt said:
d21lewis said:

Yeah, it's not the end of the world if I can't get one.  But, I'm in the middle of construction on a new gaming/home theatre-type space in my basement, and it would be really nice to have a new console to play in my new space.  

With that said, it's not going to be complete by launch anyway, and it probably won't be properly furnished until after the first of the year.  So, waiting ain't a real big deal.  

When you put it that way, I know that feeling. My entertainment center in my man cave is a nightmare*. It once took me a full 8 hour day to take everything out, dust, and put everything back together. I can see wanting to put everything in once and not have to worry about it again. I do wish you luck, though.

*TV, Switch, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PSVR, Kinect, Xbox 360, Dish Net, router, Wii U, a PC monitor that mirrors the main TV, a Sony storeo receiver, and Bose 901 speakers. 

d21lewis said:

This. 1000 times this. Thats all I care about next gen. Almost non existent loading times and better frame rates on current gen games is a great deal for me.