By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are lives in games an outdated mechanic?

What do you think?

Yes 22 56.41%

No 17 43.59%

Total:39

The only recent games I've seen with lives are Mario games, and it's kind of hard to imagine Mario without them. Other than that, they don't really fit in with most games.

Around the Network
CladInShadows said:
No, it's not out dated. To me, terms like that are thrown around by folks who maybe weren't there during the time, and think that the new ways are automatically better.

I was there during the time, (grew up in the 16-bit era) and I still find them outdated, and I definitely don't think new ways are automatically better as I consider the  8th gen worse than 7th gen for example.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 October 2020

SanAndreasX said:
The only recent games I've seen with lives are Mario games, and it's kind of hard to imagine Mario without them. Other than that, they don't really fit in with most games.

Mario Odyssey doesn't have lives.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
SanAndreasX said:

Mario Odyssey doesn't have lives.

I think he was talking about 2d Mario maker. And yeah, something like that is a good use of the mechanic but in most games like 3d Mario, it's outdated

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also