By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are you going to get Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit?

Will you get Mario Kart Home Circuit?

Yes 7 25.00%

No 18 64.29%

Unsure 3 10.71%

Total:28
super_etecoon said:
VAMatt said:
I don't really understand it. Can you play (virtually, obviously) on courses other than the one you set up right on front of you?

It wouldn't make any sense to attempt this if they could.  It's an actual RC Car and it actually runs around in your livingroom.  The car wouldn't be able to match a random course created in the game to match the design of your personal setup (couch, tables, other furniture, walls, etc).

Personally, I'm going to take it more places than just my house.  I operate a furniture store.  That'll be one of the first places I try. You could also set it up on a basketball court, a parking lot, a skate park, or wherever else you feel like setting it up.  Mind you, all of this will take some time and energy.  I'm curious about the crazy youtubers and what they'll end up trying/creating.

If the only option is to use it with the actual car in whatever space you're in at the time, I will definitely pass.  In fact, if it's that limited, I feel like very few people will be able to make good use of it.  

Too bad.  It seems cool.  But, I don't see why you couldn't just drive virtually around someone else's track......

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
super_etecoon said:

It wouldn't make any sense to attempt this if they could.  It's an actual RC Car and it actually runs around in your livingroom.  The car wouldn't be able to match a random course created in the game to match the design of your personal setup (couch, tables, other furniture, walls, etc).

Personally, I'm going to take it more places than just my house.  I operate a furniture store.  That'll be one of the first places I try. You could also set it up on a basketball court, a parking lot, a skate park, or wherever else you feel like setting it up.  Mind you, all of this will take some time and energy.  I'm curious about the crazy youtubers and what they'll end up trying/creating.

If the only option is to use it with the actual car in whatever space you're in at the time, I will definitely pass.  In fact, if it's that limited, I feel like very few people will be able to make good use of it.  

Too bad.  It seems cool.  But, I don't see why you couldn't just drive virtually around someone else's track......

Privacy concerns a probably a factor. I can already hear the rants about "Nintendo RC cars used to spy on your home/your kids".

or maybe it's just too difficult to remote control it from a great distance.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 October 2020

looks cool but not for me

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

curl-6 said:
VAMatt said:

Privacy concerns a probably a factor. I can already hear the rants about "Nintendo RC cars used to spy on your home/your kids".

I'm not talking about remote controlling an actual car.  I'm talking about driving a virtual car (like any normal Mario Kart game) through a track that someone has setup in their own house (or wherever).  Online play, in other words.  

VAMatt said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not talking about remote controlling an actual car.  I'm talking about driving a virtual car (like any normal Mario Kart game) through a track that someone has setup in their own house (or wherever).  Online play, in other words.  

How would that work? Without the car, how would you get the AR video of the track?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
VAMatt said:

How would that work? Without the car, how would you get the AR video of the track?

Maybe the person would run their car through the track a couple of times at low speed so that the system can establish the track.  

Really, I have no idea.  I just figured that they had some kind of way to make it so that people can play together without being in the same space with a ton of expensive equipment. 

How well is that really gonna work, especially right now?

VAMatt said:
curl-6 said:

Maybe the person would run their car through the track a couple of times at low speed so that the system can establish the track.  

Really, I have no idea.  I just figured that they had some kind of way to make it so that people can play together without being in the same space with a ton of expensive equipment. 

You'd need an actual realtime feed of the track in order for the gameplay to actually work though, a recording wouldn't be enough.

The main audience for this will probably be families who already live together, and most places in the world aren't in lockdown at the moment.

curl-6 said:
VAMatt said:

You'd need an actual realtime feed of the track in order for the gameplay to actually work though, a recording wouldn't be enough.

The main audience for this will probably be families who already live together, and most places in the world aren't in lockdown at the moment.

I don't see why you'd need a live feed, except that they built it in such a way that you need a live feed.  But, yeah, I get that there are technical limitations.  That's my point - the limitations are too limiting.  

Frankly, I see it being fun for an hour on Christmas day, and collecting dust be the end of January.  I'm interested, in theory.   But, I don't see the price point as reasonable.  It requires a $200-$300 controller too.  

I'd consider it at $39, maybe even $49.  But, $99 is way too high.  

VAMatt said:
curl-6 said:

I don't see why you'd need a live feed, except that they built it in such a way that you need a live feed.  But, yeah, I get that there are technical limitations.  That's my point - the limitations are too limiting.  

Frankly, I see it being fun for an hour on Christmas day, and collecting dust be the end of January.  I'm interested, in theory.   But, I don't see the price point as reasonable.  It requires a $200-$300 controller too.  

I'd consider it at $39, maybe even $49.  But, $99 is way too high.  

It doesn't require a $200-$300 controller if you already have a Switch, which by Christmas should be over 75 million people. And even if you don't, a $300-$400 Christmas present isn't that unusual for a middle income family.