By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Digimon count as 'started as a video game' (AKA Digimon in Smash?)

This came up with a friend and I talking about Smash reps. Digimon is owned by Bandai (who help make Smash U), and originated from tamagatchis. Is that video game enough to qualify? 

Pac Man and Game and Watch were not on consoles to start with after all, and from a marketing perspective Pikachu v (some digimon of note) might be the Mario v Sonic of hype sequel of legends.  

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

Renamon in Smash would be awesome!..

I fear it will never happen though...

Not officially anyways. Mods could definitely make it happen!

Really whatever Nintendo wants to count counts. But, I don't think Digimon is big enough in 2020 that they'd even consider it.

My honest question would be why it matters at all what the origin of a character is.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Agumon for smash? Hmmm... I hadn't thought of that. It could work.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Digimon Rumble Arena had some decent fighting game mechanics, so there is precedent of digimon in fighting games.

Maybe a nod to Tamagotchi would make sense as Digital Monsters was created a year later.
Tamaotchi itself was created as an attempt to take the PC game Dogz but make it a portable game but with aliens instead of a dog.

I've always viewed it as a show and card get more than a video game, personally.

It would be nice to see digimon in smash. This is a good idea for the future if it doesn’t happen with the next character release.

KrspaceT said:

This came up with a friend and I talking about Smash reps. Digimon is owned by Bandai (who help make Smash U), and originated from tamagatchis. Is that video game enough to qualify? 

Pac Man and Game and Watch were not on consoles to start with after all, and from a marketing perspective Pikachu v (some digimon of note) might be the Mario v Sonic of hype sequel of legends.  

Not being on console wasn't the point of Sakurai's statement though.  Pac-Man got his start in Arcades, yes, but an arcade game is still a video game.  Same thing with Mr. Game and Watch, a handheld video game is still a video game.  What Sakurai was specifically referring to was Marvel comic characters like Iron Man.  Sure, Iron Man has been in video games, but the character is rooted in the comic book world.  Sakurai also referenced Goku from Dragonball.  There have been Dragonball games, but the property is rooted in manga and animation.  I was originally going to say that this would point to similar exclusion for Digimon, but as you referenced, Digimon started as Tamagotchi which were handheld virtual pets on small screens.  So, kind of like a handheld video game, which I suppose would leave the possibility open enough to still be consistent with Sakurai's statement.