By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Help! My Wii U won't load past the start screen.

Well, my Wii U seems to have been bricked. It gets stuck on the white Wii U screen whenever I try to turn it on.

I tried to reboot it to safe mode, by holding down the power button for 5 seconds. Also unplugged the power supply and plugged it back in, after 30 seconds. Neither of these things worked. I called Nintendo, and they suggested I take it to GameStop of all places to get it repaired.

Luckily, I only own two Wii U games. Windwaker HD, and Xenoblade X. I only kept it around so I could play Wii games on it. Still kind of annoyed though, since I'll either have to buy a Wii, or pay to have it repaired.

If anybody knows any other fixes please let me know!

Around the Network

Saw the thread yesterday. Was hoping you had some good news today. Sorry. 😥

I'm just amazed at how much Nintendo has completely disavowed any existence of the Wii U since March 2017; even it's too ashamed to acknowledge it.

Try leaving it completely unplugged for at least an entire day to let it drain any residual power left inside before booting it back up. Really hope it works for you.

I've had a couple of friends who've had the same thing happen (mine technically did too, but I know exactly why; I had a power outage while the console was smack dab in the middle of a firmware update!).

I told both of them to try this, and the results are 50-50. If yours happens to get to a usable state, the FIRST thing you should do is to turn off all automatic updates and downloads. Don't ever let a console that dies as soon as it loses juice from an adapter do things on its own. So many consoles have been bricked that way.

Now all its games are on Switch you can just send it to trash can

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

Still waiting on Xeno Chronicles X, Wind Waker and Fatal Frame.

Spoiler!
And Devil's Turd...

Sometimes things break. Just buy a replacement from Ebay...

d21lewis said:
Saw the thread yesterday. Was hoping you had some good news today. Sorry. 😥

Nope. :( Thanks for the concern though.

IcaroRibeiro said:

But I have 20 Wii games that I use it to play!

burninmylight said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Still waiting on Xeno Chronicles X, Wind Waker and Fatal Frame.

Spoiler!
And Devil's Turd...

Yep. Need Xenoblade X and Windwaker on Switch for sure.

burninmylight said:
I'm just amazed at how much Nintendo has completely disavowed any existence of the Wii U since March 2017; even it's too ashamed to acknowledge it.

Try leaving it completely unplugged for at least an entire day to let it drain any residual power left inside before booting it back up. Really hope it works for you.

lol it was completely unplugged for like 2 years. But yeah, I'm blown away by how eager they are to pretend this console never even existed. Ending all paid repairs on a system just four years after it is discontinued? I swear NES, and SNES repairs were offered well into the early 2000's.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 27 September 2020

Did it just brick on its own or were you doing any mods with it? I assume that you do not have a backup of the firmware. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can use a backup from another Wii U console without a risk of making the situation even worse for your console and making it unrestorable. I don't have much advice for you here, it really sucks if you can't get support from Nintendo/Gamestop to get this working again.  If the Gamestop option doesn't work for you, it may be cheapest for you just to buy another Wii U console used on ebay.

That said, if I were planning to actively game on the Wii U, especially in this era of low-support from Nintendo, I would look up one of the tutorials on creating a NAND backup of the Wii U firmware while the console is working and keep the backup on hand for the future in case something ever happens to the console. When it comes to retro gaming, I personally prefer gaming on consoles such as the Gamecube and earlier partly because there is just a lot less that can go wrong with the hardware and the fixes generally tend to be a lot simpler when something does go wrong. There is also a surprisingly vibrant mod communities out there for older consoles such as the N64 and Super Nintendo that provide a lot of support especially when compared to the Wii U.