By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's Corporate Management Policy Briefing, September 2020

Really doesn't seem like they said anything especially noteworthy.

Around the Network

Mostly what I expected. Nothing that really surprised me here.

I'm happy to see that Nintendo still appreciates hardware, I want to see what new hardware ideas Nintendo has that could potentially be groundbreaking like Nintendo's been doing for nearly 40 years now. I love hardware and i dont want to go to a cloud gaming future. While i always believed Nintendo would be the least likely company to potentially move on to cloud gaming or leaving the hardware business, it makes me feel extra assured and relaxed that Nintendo themselves addressed this by stating they're not looking to leave the hardware business anytime soon and still have a ton of faith in the hardware business.
I think its smart Nintendo expands their IPs more outside of gaming since Nintendo has some of the most iconic and unique characters in the world, there's lots of potential to expand Nintendo using their popular IPs.

I also find it interesting how Furukawa mentioned they're going to continue their success with "new hardware" which may hint towards a Switch pro, or at least a new Switch revision in the future. Which I think is likely to happen, potentially as early as next year.

Nintendo seems to continue its blue ocean strategy, which at this point I firmly believe it's the direction they should go. That strategy has proven to be by far the most successful strategy for not only Nintendo, but the industry in general. Ever since Satoru Iwata implemented this strategy Nintendo has seen new heights of success time and time again. There were definitely some mistakes like the Wii U, however for the most part its been wildly successful with the DS, Wii, Switch, and I guess the 3DS as well. If you think about it Nintendo doesn't really have direct competition anymore thanks to them creating their own path rather than following the trends of others.

The most interesting thing on this report is how they acknowledge their success during DS and Wii era stating they build a strong public relationship since then

While completely ignored their history before 2004 as if NES, SNES and Game Boy were never a thing, or at least not saying those consumers as fundamental part of their current customers and userbase

It's kinda like if we had 2 Nintendos, a Nintendo before and after DS and somewhat they think Switch users are mostly DS/Wii users, or at least more alike DS/WI users than older systems

I actually don't know if I like the idea of their IPs beginning to be multimedia products. From commercial point of view is the best thing they can do, just look at the monster multi media franchise Pokemon has become. I don't know a single soul who can't recognize Pikachu, must be by far the most famous fiction character in the world (well, unless you see Jesus as fictional)

However this multimedia status gave Pokemon franchise a very tight calendar to work on, when everything in the games is heavily attached with a whopping number of products from anime series, to movies, to merchan, toys and whatnot and since game business is not even the majority of profit Pokemon got why put any effort in the games in first place? Game Freak will probably never increase their unbelievably low number os employees working in each mainline title, they don't need to, they are comfortable with their current production

Let's just hope it's not the future for other IPs