By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Splatoon 2's Octo Expansion worth it if you don't like high difficulty and are easily frustrated?

JWeinCom said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah I was relieved to hear you could skip levels you got stuck on, but even then, I wouldn't be having much fun if I spent the whole time failing and skipping, failing and skipping.

I'm not the most capable gamer due to mild motor control impairment. I can still play most games just fine, but my fingers aren't fast or accurate enough for me to ever be an expert gamer, and I get pissed off easily when I fail at stuff.

About the hardest games I've ever beaten were Monster Hunter 3 and RE4 on Professional.

It's hard to compare it. RE4 on professional is probably harder overall (assuming you're not carrying over a save file with weapons and such), but a lot of the challenge in that game can be mitigated by good planning and resource management, where here the challenge is mostly about reflexes.

The best comparison I could think of is that the jump in difficulty from the main campaign is similar to the jump between Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. It's notably harder, but still not crazy hard.

Alrighty, good to know. It's mostly the reflex/dexterity stuff that bothers me. I had no real issues with the campaign of either Splatoon 1 or 2, but the final "world" of 2 was around where I started to near the edge of my comfort zone.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

It's hard to compare it. RE4 on professional is probably harder overall (assuming you're not carrying over a save file with weapons and such), but a lot of the challenge in that game can be mitigated by good planning and resource management, where here the challenge is mostly about reflexes.

The best comparison I could think of is that the jump in difficulty from the main campaign is similar to the jump between Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. It's notably harder, but still not crazy hard.

Alrighty, good to know. It's mostly the reflex/dexterity stuff that bothers me. I had no real issues with the campaign of either Splatoon 1 or 2, but the final "world" of 2 was around where I started to near the edge of my comfort zone.

I actually did the Octo expansion but not the main campaign yet.

There's a lot of options on which levels you do, and as another poster mentioned you choose the weapons you want, and that serves as a sort of difficulty option. There were a couple of levels that I found incredibly difficult, but you can work around them. The only non-optional part that's hard is the final boss, but that's actually more of an issue with my navigational skills than anything. 

I don't know you well enough to judge, but I'm thinking it'll probably be okay. 

JWeinCom said:
curl-6 said:

There's a lot of options on which levels you do, and as another poster mentioned you choose the weapons you want, and that serves as a sort of difficulty option. There were a couple of levels that I found incredibly difficult, but you can work around them. The only non-optional part that's hard is the final boss, but that's actually more of an issue with my navigational skills than anything. 

Okay, between being able to skip levels, and the weapons representing a difficulty setting of sorts, (I'm always gonna pick the easiest one haha) I am leaning towards giving this a go next time there's a gap in the release schedule. I did thoroughly enjoy the main campaign after all. (Which I heartily recommend)

When you say navigational skills, is it like set in a labyrinthine environment or something?

curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

Okay, between being able to skip levels, and the weapons representing a difficulty setting of sorts, (I'm always gonna pick the easiest one haha) I am leaning towards giving this a go next time there's a gap in the release schedule. I did thoroughly enjoy the main campaign after all. (Which I heartily recommend)

When you say navigational skills, is it like set in a labyrinthine environment or something?

Not exactly. Don't really want to spoil the main boss, so read at your own risk, but it involves hitting things in a relatively large area in a somewhat strict time limit. If you're prone to getting lost like me it's more difficult than it probably should be. 

JWeinCom said:
curl-6 said:

Not exactly. Don't really want to spoil the main boss, so read at your own risk, but it involves hitting things in a relatively large area in a somewhat strict time limit. If you're prone to getting lost like me it's more difficult than it probably should be. 

Ah, thanks for the heads up. That does sound like it could be a problem. Maybe I could watch a walkthrough or something to guide me through it I suppose. It'd be a shame to reach the final boss and get stuck.

Around the Network

If you don't plan to go for 100% and challenge the secret boss who will rip off your pants, then you are good to go.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3