By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series S design leaked, Confirmed at $300 this Holiday (Series X = $500)

coolbeans said:
sales2099 said:

Or just get Xcloud. The next gen application of streaming for core gamers is that we don’t need to buy additional storage or constantly manage your hard drive so long as you don’t mind streaming games from your home. Also instant gaming as opposed to waiting hours for the instal. 

Sure, but you're bumping into the issue right here.  Those who want to remain committed to having their games stored on said harddrive, their need to consider expanded storage (which will only be proprietary) ought to be considered as well. 

Sure it’s a factor, and you can always uninstall as needed. But it can have its uses for games you don’t really plan to invest in for too long. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Jumpinbeans said:
in a dream world sony comes out and says the no disk edition is $299 :)
Sadly though i reckon the no disk edition PS5 is either $350 or $399....leaning towards the $350

Considering PS4 launched at $399, $350 for what PS5 does is really generous. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
eva01beserk said:
How Are people saying $300 is a good price? That's crazy high for what it offers. People are expecting a $400 ps5 digital. If that's the case this console is ridiculously overpriced. The only way I see this as a good price is if the ps5 digital is $500 and the series x and regular ps5 are $600, which I very much doubt that would be the case.

Agreed on the price. $300 is too much for a diskless 4 TFLOP machine. It better at least run games at $1440p 60 FPS! The 3080 will drop in a couple of weeks, and set the bar for graphics so high that this thing will be regarded as ultra-low end in a year's time. Both Series X and PS5 will be regarded as mid-tier a year from today.

So the Xbox Series S all in one package is overprice at $300 when compared to the $699 RTX 3080 GPU. Most current gaming rigs can't just drop in an RTX 3080, or will it be worth the upgrade. Why even compare high-end PC gaming to entry-level Xbox? 

This machine is for the casual, but just look at all the components in it 512GB SDD, 10GB GDDR6, 8 core AMD Zen2 processor with RDNA 2.0, CPU, and controller. Considering the cost of each component $300 is a really good deal. 

Pretty good value, I'd say, but lame design. I was expecting a white GameCube but we got... that instead. No disk is somewhat of a bummer too.

Digital only is taboo for me, so looks like both Physical Games consoles are going to be $499. I will have to delay getting XBOX X for a couple years. No way I can justify $1K in consoles within 2 years. Yes that means I still plan to get the disc drive PS5 day one.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
haxxiy said:
Pretty good value, I'd say, but lame design. I was expecting a white GameCube but we got... that instead. No disk is somewhat of a bummer too.

I actually really liked the mock up design looking like a white GameCube, shame they didn't just roll with it lol... 

Exactly. Expectations were deflated like a baloon...

shikamaru317 said:
Hmmm, the 512GB SSD is somewhat concerning. OS will probably take at least 50GB of that, and we already have some current gen games that are over 100GB with DLC, supposedly this years CoD is 100 GB before DLC. 512 GB is not going to fit many games for a digital only console, so you’d better have fast internet if you buy this so that you can uninstall and reinstall games quickly.

Here’s hoping it has the extra SSD slot, same as it’s big brother, and that MS can get the 1TB SSD cartridges out for like $120 this year.

Apperantly you can store games in a HDD and swap it in and out with the SSD. If something like that takes about an hour i might just get a cheap external harddrive to go along with the S or X.

shikamaru317 said:
jason1637 said:

Apperantly you can store games in a HDD and swap it in and out with the SSD. If something like that takes about an hour i might just get a cheap external harddrive to go along with the S or X.

Here is what I could find online:

• SanDisk Extreme Pro 1 TB External SSD (price $150): 48 GB transfer in 195 seconds, so 325 seconds for an 80 GB game
  • Seagate Back-Up Plus Ultra Touch 2 TB external hard drive (price $72): 1.2 GB transfer in 11 seconds, so 733 seconds for an 80 GB game

So it seems like you basically have 2 options, you can either buy an external SSD, which is expensive and probably a much worse option than buying one of Microsoft's external SSD cartridges which have identical performance to the internal SSD and can be used with no need of transferring to the internal, or you can buy an External Hard drive, which is much cheaper, but will take over 10 minutes to transfer a standard sized next-gen game most likely. 

Huh 10 minutes is actually pretty good transfer time. I thought I'd be longer. 

Bristow9091 said:
haxxiy said:

I actually really liked the mock up design looking like a white GameCube, shame they didn't just roll with it lol... 

could it be that Nintendo still has some patents for that specific design?
Remember Samsung vs Apple... :)

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Nice..I'll be getting the Series S for the kids and the Series X for myself