By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake shipped 5m by early August. Lifetime sales expectations (PS4 only)?

Final Fantasy VII Remake shipped 5m by early August. Lifetime sales expectations (PS4 only)?

Less than 6 million 48 7.19%

6.0 - 6.4 million 42 6.29%

6.5 - 6.9 million 55 8.23%

7.0 - 7.4 million 118 17.66%

7.5 - 7.9 million 81 12.13%

8.0 - 8.4 million 86 12.87%

8.5 - 8.9 million 54 8.08%

9.0 - 9.4 million 34 5.09%

9.5 - 10.0 million 35 5.24%

More than 10 million 115 17.22%

Total:668
MasonADC said:
Why is shipping 1.5 million after launch considered bad legs for so many people in here? I seriously can’t wrap my mind around it

yep, 50% more sales 4 months after launch is still good, we just need to wait and see how will be first year to see if legs have kept strong or not.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I think the PS4 version will only sell 6.5-7m total, but I am not sure we will ever get the final total for the PS4 only version.  I find it more likely that this game is going to get ported all over the place: PS5, PC, XB1, Series X, Switch and/or Switch 2, etc....  Once the ports start coming out then they are going to always tell us sales combined across all platforms.  Considering that this game is going to get several entries over a long time, it just makes sense to keep porting it to as many platforms as possible.  That way the series stays in people's minds while they work on the next installment.

Bonus: I think they will get the last installment out around 2030.

MasonADC said:
Why is shipping 1.5 million after launch considered bad legs for so many people in here? I seriously can’t wrap my mind around it

Maybe because the initial shipment of 3.5m units was accompanied by claims of severe shortages, so that would have been 3.5m + excess demand to fulfill.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

MasonADC said:

Because we have seen other games with massive hype behind them at launch that more than doubled their 1st week sales in less than 4 months. FF7R didn't even double it's first 24 hour sales in 4 months, let alone double it's first week sales in 4 months. I wouldn't say that the legs are bad, but it's definitely clear that FF7R is very front loaded, just like earlier FF games were. 

If there's 4 installments, I can see the last one coming out like in 2027-2028; and if there's 5 installments, like in 2030-2031.

Spoiler!
Maybe I'm being too optimistic.

Around the Network

The physical sku had shortages for about a month or so but after that seemed to be fine. SE even noted the rise in digital on the quarterly report so I am not sure how they can have excess demand to fulfill when people are just getting it digital instead. 1.5 Million after a big launch like that for a JRPG is pretty good. Let’s see how it does after the March 31st, 2021 report for SE to judge the legs of the game, especially if they release a PS5 patch for it.

Its outpacing FFXV, the previous fastest selling FF. I reckon 8-10 million.

FF7R pretty much vanished in the global chart. Even the 5M shipments is going to take a lot of time to sell before it reaching the 6 million mark milestone.

src said:

Do you mean it's outpacing FFXV on PS4 only, or that the PS4 version of FF7R is outpacing all 3 versions of FFXV? I don't think either is true, but the latter definitely isn't true.

FFXV

First 24 hours- 5m shipped on PS4 and XB1 combined (PC release was a year later)

Less than 6 weeks after release- 6m shipped on PS4 and XB1 combined

FF7R

First 3 days- 3.5m shipped

Approximately 4 months after release- 5m shipped

Hard to compare just the PS4 versions of the two, since we never got a proper sales breakdown for the PS4 and XB1 versions of XV. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 20 August 2020

shikamaru317 said:
src said:

Do you mean it's outpacing FFXV on PS4 only, or that the PS4 version of FF7R is outpacing all 3 versions of FFXV? I don't think either is true, but the latter definitely isn't true.

FFXV

First 24 hours- 5m shipped on PS4 and XB1 combined (PC release was a year later)

Less than 6 weeks after release- 6m shipped on PS4 and XB1 combined

FF7R

First 3 days- 3.5m shipped

Approximately 4 months after release- 5m shipped

Hard to compare just the PS4 versions of the two, since we never got a proper sales breakdown for the PS4 and XB1 versions of XV. 

No the entire thing.

You're looking solely at shipments. FF7R has a far better sell through than FFXV and it didn't need a holiday for it either.

For reference FFXV took an entire year to ship 7 million. FF7R will easily beat that.