By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake shipped 5m by early August. Lifetime sales expectations (PS4 only)?

Final Fantasy VII Remake shipped 5m by early August. Lifetime sales expectations (PS4 only)?

Less than 6 million 48 7.19%

6.0 - 6.4 million 42 6.29%

6.5 - 6.9 million 55 8.23%

7.0 - 7.4 million 118 17.66%

7.5 - 7.9 million 81 12.13%

8.0 - 8.4 million 86 12.87%

8.5 - 8.9 million 54 8.08%

9.0 - 9.4 million 34 5.09%

9.5 - 10.0 million 35 5.24%

More than 10 million 115 17.22%

Total:668

6 millions or even under. The game fade out very quickly

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
PotentHerbs said:
Do Final Fantasy games traditionally have bad legs?

Otherwise, I see no reason why FF7R doesn't clear 10 Million+ lifetime on PS4.

Yes, FF is typically a very frontloaded series. Some examples:

• FF15- 5m in 24 hours, 6m in less than 2 months, 8.9m after 3 years. More than 50% of it's lifetime sales on day one.
  • FF13- 1.7m in 2 weeks in Japan, 1m in 2 weeks in the US, 830k in 2 weeks in Europe, for a total of 3.5m in 2 weeks. Sales after 7 years were just over 7m. So about 50% of it's lifetime sales were in the first 2 weeks.
  • FF12- 1.7m in 1 week in Japan, 1.5m in 1 week in the US, can't find EU sales data for it. 6m+ worldwide sales after 3 years. Nearly half of it's lifetime sales were in the first week from US and Japan alone, with EU 1st week sales factored in likely around 60% of it's lifetime sales were in the 1st week.

Compare that to FF7R. It sold 3.5m in 24 hours and 5m after 4 months. Based on the early sales/lifetime sales ratio for earlier FF releases, that suggests that lifetime sales for the PS4 version will be around 7m max, unless of course Square Enix decides to do a free PS5 upgrade for the PS4 version, instead of releasing a paid PS5 port next year, which would extend the PS4 versions legs considerably. But Square stands to make alot more money by doing a paid PS5 port than they do by doing a free upgrade for the PS4 version.

So you made an extrapolation on the rest having 2 weeks to reach about 50% sales to 7R being 24h? the 4months would be more likely to use for upper limit of 10M. So my clearing 8M is probably more likely than your around 7M.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I'd say 7.5-8M.

Bonus question: I think 2025 if there's only three parts (so about 2.5 years of development for the other two parts).

EDIT: I've changed my prediction to 7-7.5M

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 18 August 2020

I honestly am surprised it hasn’t sold better. It’s a great game imo. Objectively it sold well at launch, but has had underwealming legs. Marketing wasn’t the greatest. The final trailer for the game spoils everything in a juxtaposed manner that doesn’t really make sense. I’m glad I didn’t see that as I never played the original, but even still it’s just poorly done in general. A lot of older fans seem uninterested by the gameplay and the fake classic mode might be part of the problem. I’m sure older fans on the fence saw Nomura’s name as director and read about how classic works and felt they were being trolled. Almost every review I’ve seen critical of it on youtube are from older fans unhappy with the changes. People don’t view it as a complete game. I think the game has many flaws, but I still give it a 9/10 and consider it my favorite RPG to date (of this type at least). As a standalone the game feels complete so even if I don’t like part 2 or 3 I enjoyed this game a lot. I am looking forward to PS5/PC release. I’m at least planning on playing it again on PC as long as framerates aren’t capped like console.

My guess is 7-7.5 million, but I’d like to see it hit 10 million

Story spoiler below:

Spoiler!
Unpopular opinion, but I’d like Aerith to live and the story to change in a way that actually makes the game go off the wall. The have inserted this idea that anything can happen and if it doesn’t in part 2 I might lose interest. Her living along with something unexpected to go with that would be what I’m looking for. Although seems like she might die again, but it would be nice for the whole series to have a happy ending (in comparison the original ending which was considered “bad”) especially if this is a sequel trilogy to the original compilation 

Edit: butchered Nomura's name. fixed

Last edited by FormerlyTeamSilent13 - on 19 August 2020

I went with 7.5 to 8m. As for the bonus question, I'm thinking somewhere around 2030. People who expect only three parts are basically hoping that the rest of the game won't be as fleshed out as Part One.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Why is shipping 1.5 million after launch considered bad legs for so many people in here? I seriously can’t wrap my mind around it

MasonADC said:
Why is shipping 1.5 million after launch considered bad legs for so many people in here? I seriously can’t wrap my mind around it

yep, 50% more sales 4 months after launch is still good, we just need to wait and see how will be first year to see if legs have kept strong or not.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I think the PS4 version will only sell 6.5-7m total, but I am not sure we will ever get the final total for the PS4 only version.  I find it more likely that this game is going to get ported all over the place: PS5, PC, XB1, Series X, Switch and/or Switch 2, etc....  Once the ports start coming out then they are going to always tell us sales combined across all platforms.  Considering that this game is going to get several entries over a long time, it just makes sense to keep porting it to as many platforms as possible.  That way the series stays in people's minds while they work on the next installment.

Bonus: I think they will get the last installment out around 2030.

If there's 4 installments, I can see the last one coming out like in 2027-2028; and if there's 5 installments, like in 2030-2031.

Spoiler!
Maybe I'm being too optimistic.

The physical sku had shortages for about a month or so but after that seemed to be fine. SE even noted the rise in digital on the quarterly report so I am not sure how they can have excess demand to fulfill when people are just getting it digital instead. 1.5 Million after a big launch like that for a JRPG is pretty good. Let’s see how it does after the March 31st, 2021 report for SE to judge the legs of the game, especially if they release a PS5 patch for it.