By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - YLOD finally bit me

If you have a PS3, did YLOD also got you?

Yes 15 50.00%

No 15 50.00%

Total:30

After 11 years of use of my PS3 (sure the past 6 were very light use) my console finally surrendered to YLOD. It is on the assistance and estimate 40USD to repair, let`s pray for it safe recovery.

Mine is a phat version with 160Gb memory uncharted bundle so I guess second or third gen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Thoughts and prayers.

DonFerrari said:

After 11 years of use of my PS3 (sure the past 6 were very light use) my console finally surrendered to YLOD. It is on the assistance and estimate 40USD to repair, let`s pray for it safe recovery.

Mine is a phat version with 160Gb memory uncharted bundle so I guess second or third gen.

If you do end up getting it fixed, and if you don't plan on playing online with the system,  I would recommend installing custom firmware on it.  About 2 years ago I bought a CECHA01 (Launch 60GB model, "fully" backwards compatible with PS2 titles).  Upon getting it I tore it down to replace the thermal paste, then installed custom firmware.  Once you do that, from the XMB you can hold Start+Select and it will give you a notification with the current RSX and Cell temps.  

Also, by default, the fan curve on the custom firmware is much more aggressive.  You can set targets for the system to keep each chip at.  By default, the PS3 will let the processors go up to crazy high temperatures to keep the system quiet before it starts to ramp up the fans.  I have my system set to keep both chips at 65c or below.  It is much louder now than it was on stock firmware, but it'll give you piece of mind that the system won't overheat.

Lasted a lot longer than my original ps3. My first one only lasted about a year before I got a ylod. That was a rough generation for hardware failure...

Nope, had mine for about 11, maybe 12 years now? I think I got it in 2008. But no, still no yellow light of death or destiny or destruction or dream or desire or despair or delirium. Had to buy a new controller once tho.

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
Nope, had mine for about 11, maybe 12 years now? I think I got it in 2008. But no, still no yellow light of death or destiny or destruction or dream or desire or despair or delirium. Had to buy a new controller once tho.

Did you get the Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle? That's what I'm still using now and have yet to fall victim. Only 32GB of storage or something, but it's never been a problem and always done the job.

I have a super slim so no. I remember a lot of Phat PS3's coming into the shop tho because of YLOD while everyone was bagging on 360 for RROD in 2007 we still had plenty of PS3's come in dead.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

That's too bad. I hope that you're able to get it fixed. My 60 GB PS3 is still going strong, but I know it's only a matter of time. I do pull it apart and reapply some Arctic Silver every so often, so here's hoping I'll get a few more years out of it. Overall, I'd be less sad if full BC was still a feature on offer.

Regardless, best of luck!

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall

All PS3s go to heaven.

It happened to my 2007 original phat model twice. I think it cost more than $100 to fix it both times out of warranty. $40 USD is not a bad price for your repair. I still have my PS3 phat and play it from time to time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.